Sex-chamber suspect remanded in custody
Published: 01 Apr 2011 16:47 GMT+02:00
Updated: 01 Apr 2011 16:47 GMT+02:00
- Arrest in probe of Swedish 'sex-chamber' (29 Mar 11)
- Police probe secret Swedish 'sex-chamber' (28 Mar 11)
During questioning, the man has denied committing any crime, but admitted that he had been in the cellar of an abandoned farm house north of Halmstad.
The hidden underground lair, which was discovered several weeks ago by a pair of amateur photographers, contained handcuffs and a collection of sex toys, as well as a bed outfitted with an elaborate set of harnesses and ropes that could have been used to hold people against their will.
After the discovery of the dungeon-like room was made public, a woman in her thirties went to the police claiming the 47-year-old had held her captive in the sex-chamber for a number of days several years ago.
"My client adamantly claims that he is neither guilty of this or any other crime that he is suspected of," defence attorney Leif Silbersky told the TT news agency following a Friday remand hearing in Halmstad District Court.
During the hearing, Silbersky requested that his client be released immediately. Due to confidentiality restrictions, however, he was unable to comment on the evidence presented during the more than two-hour long proceeding.
"I can only say that the district court agreed with the prosecutor's line of argument and that the prosecutor now has 14 days to continue his work," said Silbersky.
Police have combed a wide area around the abandoned farmhouse. According to the Aftonbladet newspaper, there is another unoccupied house nearby with an attic furnished in a way reminiscent of the cellar in the now cordoned-off house.
In the attic of the second house, there is a mattress surrounded by adult diapers and empty beverage containers connected to a long hose, according to the newspaper.
Lars Hamrén, head of the violent crimes division of the Halland County police, refused to comment on the report in detail, saying only that police don't see any connection to the ongoing police investigation.
"We don't see the need to cordon off that house. We don't see any direct connection," he told TT.
A number of people have contacted police following initial media reports about the secret sex-chamber.
"Several people have gotten in touch, but it's too early to say if that will lead to any new complaints being filed," said Hamrén.
No one else who has contacted the police has mentioned events with any connection to the abandoned house.