• Sweden edition
 
Swedish man accused of sex with sheep
The sheep pictured here is not the sheep mentioned in the article

Swedish man accused of sex with sheep

Published: 20 May 2011 08:49 GMT+02:00
Updated: 20 May 2011 08:49 GMT+02:00

In the beginning of June last year a sheep farmer and his wife heard a curious bleating sound from one of the farm’s pastures. When they went to investigate they were shocked to find a man engaged in sexual conduct with one of the ewes.

“This is an unusual case. Earlier it would have been classified as bestiality but nowadays it is seen as cruelty to animals,” Tomas Tell of the police told daily Göteborgsposten (GP).

The witness reports are in themselves not enough to convict the man of cruelty to animals.

Therefore a specialist veterinary surgeon has been called in from the Swedish Board of Agriculture (Jordbruksverket) as an expert witness.

“Because there were no visible injuries the prosecutor must be able to prove that the ewe has suffered from the unpleasant event,” Tell told GP.

At the trial the specialist will be heard on the subject of sheep physiology and behaviour. But according to GP, the main issue will be whether the ewe has suffered any lasting distress due to sexual abuse or not.

The farmers will have to testify as to what they witnessed the man do with their grazing livestock and the police officer that apprehended the culprit will also be heard during the trial.

Sex crimes against animals have been reported to be on the rise in Sweden earlier this year with an increase in reported cases of sexual mutilation of horses and other livestock.

The man denies the charges, despite the witnesses' claim to have caught him in the act. If found guilty he could be sentenced to anything from a fine to two years in prison.

TT/Rebecca Martin (news@thelocal.se)

Your comments about this article

09:22 May 20, 2011 by this_aint_sparta
This should not be considered animal cruelty. The sheep should be questioned may be this was with a mutual understanding and mutual aggrement and if not the sheep should be payed a hundred K in damages
09:30 May 20, 2011 by darky
Sodomy is not a normal act. It seems most of the Swedes have a very high libido. Why are there a lot of sex crimes being reported all the times? The land needs cleansing for sure.
09:34 May 20, 2011 by HYBRED
Sounds like a scorned wife seeking payback.

By chance, was this guy head of the IMF?
09:56 May 20, 2011 by StockholmSam
The important question is, what was the sheep wearing that caused this poor, decent man to lose control?
09:56 May 20, 2011 by Lostaussie
Must be a lot of Kiwis moving to Sweden and looking for home comforts ;)
09:56 May 20, 2011 by jack sprat
From the way it was bleating maybe the sheep was quite enjoying it, in which case how can they do him for animal cruelty ?
09:58 May 20, 2011 by Jes
Strange , but expected .

The question should be about this man`s right to have sex .
10:05 May 20, 2011 by HYBRED
The sheep wonder around on all four's, and not wearing panties. The sheep was asking for it. She wanted it.
10:08 May 20, 2011 by Stickeroo
How do Swedes like they're sheep? In tall grass wearing rubber boots!!!
10:18 May 20, 2011 by Da Goat
What a Baaaaa-d Man, He must have wanted a wooly romp baaaaa-Dleee

yeah from my reading he can't be done for zoophilia (bestiality) so if the sheep does not go to court and complain then it is all hearsay evidence .

maybe they will harken back to the old days and force him to marry the sheep!

my next question is, is he an immigrant from new Zealand or an immigrant from the middle east? (sarcasm) guess we need to find out if wearing gumboots or sandles!
10:23 May 20, 2011 by wolverine2k
oooh.. that was a terrifying experience for the sheep. And what about animal cruelty when the butcher just cuts off the neck? Why do humans have multiple rules for cruelty? Isn't being killed worst then being raped?
10:27 May 20, 2011 by Rishonim
I am happy all these news are getting out so people around the world can see how laughable is the swedish justice system.

Man convicted of sex crimes and the court suggest psychiatric care

Taxi driver abuse female driver and he is allowed to keep his license

Murderers walk away with 2 years in prison and the list continues.

I am beginning to think the stupid laws fit the stupid population. Here in Sweden we would march out to the street to protest for the release of some imprisoned journalist in Eritrea or someone in Burma. Yet, we remain quiet to the travesty of our own justice system.

Calfucurá
10:27 May 20, 2011 by HYBRED
@wolverine2k

"Isn't being killed worst then being raped?"

Try both and let us know your answer.
10:43 May 20, 2011 by byke
Did the sheep speak English with a thick accent?
10:49 May 20, 2011 by andrewsrocks
did he paid?
10:55 May 20, 2011 by rob582
Any Welsh ancestry?
11:23 May 20, 2011 by technoviking
You didn't see how that sheep pranced around... She asked for it. Don't judge.
11:32 May 20, 2011 by djmarko
They should allow the man and the sheep to live happy ever after!!!
12:16 May 20, 2011 by Roy E
Whack job deviates like this are The Local's absolute favorite kind of story .
12:29 May 20, 2011 by johnny1939
Good thing my dog can't talk
12:47 May 20, 2011 by Markus G
I think it is disgusting that this man has been prosecuted. Sweden is a secular society and we must therefore ignore the old testament prohibitions on sex with beasts (Exodus 22:19) and interspecies sex (Leviticus 19:19). It wasn't that long ago that homosexuality was a crime. I guess we now need a new group of people to hate.
12:48 May 20, 2011 by Hong Kong Phooey
I don't blame him. The chicks over here are more interested in the Eurovision than a good sh@gging!
13:08 May 20, 2011 by spy
THIS IS NOT ANIMAL CRUELTY - There is no evidence to show that when a sheep is rammed it feel ewes'd.
13:18 May 20, 2011 by Hong Kong Phooey
The name of a Swedish man in his fifties who was allegedly caught having sex with a sheep name has been revealed as Warren Bleaty.
13:24 May 20, 2011 by underskyofsweden
It's just A BIG SHAME for human being!
13:30 May 20, 2011 by johnny1939
Bestiality (tidelag) was removed from being a crime in Sweden 1944. It makes fun reading though
13:51 May 20, 2011 by J Jack
Those obsessed that Welsh and Kiwis are sheep shaggers obviously have a greater interest in the subject and are just looking for a scapegoat. Especially the Ockers.
14:18 May 20, 2011 by star10
The man gave the sheep one of his most valuable gift. And the sheep looks happy. We should stop discriminating against sheep lovers (as well as gays and lesbians). He should be allowed to marry the sheep and be entitled to adopt orphan sheeps.
14:38 May 20, 2011 by this_aint_sparta
There should be a pride parade in August where sheeps and men can march in the streets with pride for who they are.

There should be social dating site for men and sheeps who shares the same lifestyle.

There should be organizations of sheeps fighting for the rights of men in other countries.
14:41 May 20, 2011 by eovti
What's the age of consent for sheep in Sweden? She was probably asking for it, anyway, walking around with no clothes on.
14:47 May 20, 2011 by this_aint_sparta
posing for a doggy style and no panties on, she should be charged for seducing an elderly man, the fatherly figure in the farm.

I wonder if they had any foreplay?
14:54 May 20, 2011 by bcterry
If the ewe was just sheared, she was asking for it

"Ewes who were raped had incited men's lust by dressing immodestly and only have themselves to blame."
15:08 May 20, 2011 by Swedesmith
Was she a young sheep or pasture prime?
15:19 May 20, 2011 by MarshaLynn
Ah, so he's not being charged with bestiality, but rather with cruelty to an animal? I notice in your ads on the right-hand side of this page, there is a photo of two women kissing (not the Facebook ad, which is also just as bad). OK, here are some facts of life that the liberal mind does not like and so pushes them out of his consciousness: If you open the door to alternative sexuality, many things are going to come in that door. Why? Because the door is OPEN !!!! So get ready for an explosion of bestiality. And then after that, sex with children will begin to be "normalized." Yes, it will. You are a stupid fool if you think otherwise. But then, I do think the mindset of liberals is stupid and foolish -- I mean that literally. Your way of thinking runs contrary to common sense. I hope you realize that after society slides into total decadence, the world will not be fit to live in. If you want a remedy, it is this: Return to the model of traditional marriage and family -- healthy heterosexual marriages -- monogamy within marriage -- no living together without marriage -- no approval of singles having sex with this one and that one and that one over there -- raise children in healthy homes where mom and dad love one another and their children and are not abusive. Learn the meaning of the words HONOR, INTEGRITY, FAITHFULNESS, HIGH IDEALS, PERSONAL SACRIFICE, DUTY, OBLIGATION, etc. Those are not words in the liberal vocabulary, because liberalism is based on irresponsibility and narcissism. It's about "I want what I want and I want it now."
15:22 May 20, 2011 by ghhugh
My educated guess would be that the man in question is a city folk and he thought that such action was considered consenual and legal with farm animals.

He needs some shock therapy. He should be made to pursue a Badger and attempt to engage the animal.
15:32 May 20, 2011 by zoroastrina
This was an cat of utter desperation. The poor guy must have been as hard up as DSK. MarshaLynn's drivel sounds like religious fascism. This was probably cosensual sex involving mutual attraction. Was the sheep a disguised hotel chambermaid wearing a micro-skirt exposing its voluptuous sexuality.

"I notice in your ads on the right-hand side of this page, there is a photo of two women kissing (not the Facebook ad, which is also just as bad). OK, here are some facts of life that the liberal mind does not like and so pushes them out of his consciousness." What a fanatical nut! The Inqusition needs fanatics like Marshal Lynn who would probably like to set up a religious dictatorship à la the Sharia. "Facts of life." What does a submoron know about the naturalistic fallacy? Nothing whatever.His drivel reflects a half-educated mindset.
15:52 May 20, 2011 by MarshaLynn
Hey, zoroastrina, how about we engage in a fact-based debate? Calling me names does not prove your point. Do you have some facts to back up your ideas? Tell us why opening the door to alternative sexuality will not eventually permit all kinds of sexuality. Explain your logic. Tells us why the model of healthy traditional marriage is NOT what is healthiest for society. Tell us why it is a good, wise, and healthy thing for society to encourage the practice of free sex and homosexuality. Because I can tell you why it's NOT. I encounter this all the time -- liberals who do not have fact-based counter arguments, but rather just engage in namecalling.
16:08 May 20, 2011 by bcterry
"If you open the door to alternative sexuality, many things are going to come in that door. Why? Because the door is OPEN !!!! So get ready for an explosion of bestiality. And then after that, sex with children will begin to be "normalized." Yes, it will. You are a stupid fool if you think otherwise. But then, I do think the mindset of liberals is stupid and foolish -- I mean that literally. Your way of thinking runs contrary to common sense. I hope you realize that after society slides into total decadence, the world will not be fit to live in. If you want a remedy, it is this: Return to the model of traditional marriage and family -- healthy heterosexual marriages"

I'm not gay, but i would assume that those who are do not feel that there is any alternative to what they consider their healthy natural sexuality.

The exact same thing that you and i feel about our healthy natural sexuality.
17:41 May 20, 2011 by Essjay
Should hold the guy down and let the ram have him or would the ram be charged with abusing human rights instead of sexual misconduct .

Only on the local can a news feature like this turn into a political , religious debate

Cannot believe it but a miserable sheep shagger has triggered the Trolls !
17:52 May 20, 2011 by jbkulp
This reminds me of the guy who was in front of a judge for necrophilia. He said he was innocent because he thought she was British. The guy should be sentenced to having to eat haggis 3 times a day for life. The punishment should fit the crime.
18:35 May 20, 2011 by Tanskalainen
In Denmark this guy would not be guilty of any crime except trespassing. Unfortunately that is the way Danish law works.
20:00 May 20, 2011 by Flygger
Not quite sure why most posters think this is so funny..

Call me a bit conservative but that guy should have a loaded bolt gun put to his head and then the trigger pulled. Nasty, dirty perverted SOB !!

Best thing is to get rid of that sort of filth before they get bored and move onto kiddies. Perhaps those self same idiots who thought this miscreants activities were fun might stop laughing. The guy is mental confirmed. If he is so whacky get him to entertain your kids whilst you go out for the evening.
20:29 May 20, 2011 by Haubits77B
It is legal to have sex with animals in Sweden as long as you do not hurt the animal! It became legal at the same time as homosexuality became legael i Sweden. And this seems okey for me: I am a proud REAL Swede, and I don´t find any diffrence between goat-idiots and gays: both should be classifides as crminals!
21:09 May 20, 2011 by tomas R
I think that it is some kind of illness having a sex with animal. The normal standard sex is between one man and one woman. The other kinds of sex is unnormal (illness). It is my opinion.

Tomas (Lithuania)
22:02 May 20, 2011 by andthenme
how about if it would happen the other way around?
22:54 May 20, 2011 by muscle
ok..so first women, but they were not enough, guys went for guys. i guess that too became too easy and didnt give any pleasure. now sheeps?.. whats next? having s3x with chickens????
23:27 May 20, 2011 by cookiemaster
This news is totally related to "Man convicted for sex crimes against 13 girls"(13 teenage girls were subjected to his state of mindlessness before one was finally arrested and I wonder NOT why so many even through victims were compensated financially as written..they will become regulator dependands on those who looked the other during crimes and much more)...seems like in Sweden, increasing numbers of psychiatrists have reverse effect on people's mental health(these are all new phenomenas) ....what or who is next per greater liberal /communist / corrupt labor party issues(lucrative careers) !!?
00:00 May 21, 2011 by khurram.k
he could masturbate ??? cant he ??? why innocent animals ?? lol
00:05 May 21, 2011 by maxbrando
Reminds me of the boys in Brokeback Mountain and their weekly shopping list:

>

> WEEK ONE

> * Beans

> * Bacon

> * Coffee

> * Whiskey

>

> WEEK TWO

> * Beans

> * Ham

> * Coffee

> * Whiskey

>

> WEEK THREE

> * Beans al fresco

> * Thin-sliced Bacon

> * Hazelnut Coffee

> * Sky vodka

> * Tanqueray gin

> * K-Y gel

>

> WEEK FOUR

> * Beans en sallade

> * Pancetta

> * Grey poupon

> * Coffee (espresso grind)

> * 5-6 bottles best Chardonnay

> * 2 tubes K-Y gel

>

> WEEK FIVE

> * Fresh Fava beans

> * Jasmine rice

> * Prosciuto, approx. 8 ounces, thinly sliced

> * Medallions of veal

> * Porcini mushrooms

> * 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream

> * 1 Cub Scout uniform, size 42 long

> * 5-6 bottles French Bordeaux (Estate Reserve)

> * 1 extra large bottle Astro-glide

> * 2 Vermont Bears

>

> WEEK SIX

> * Yukon Gold potatoes

> * Heavy whipping cream

> * Asparagus (fresh, very thin)

> * Organic Eggs

> * Spanish Lemons

> * Gruyere cheese (well aged)

> * Crushed Walnuts

> * Arugula

> * Clarified Butter

> * Extra Virgin Olive oil

> * Pure Balsamic vinegar

> * 6 yards white silk organdy

> * 6 yards pale ivory taffeta

> * 3 Cases of Dom Perignon Masters Reserve

> * Large tin Crisco

>
03:04 May 21, 2011 by laura ka baal
Then only the babies coming out from sheep can be named as Sheepson.

100%äkta svensk.
03:25 May 21, 2011 by alphamale
Used to live in Las Vegas, Nev. USA. Had similar happen there to a sheep named Lucy. As I remember it wasn't rape but coitus interruptus that troubled Lucy the most. She (Lucy) had friends post in the Review Journal that "All is forgiven, please come back. signed Lucy" Lucy lived to a ripe old but lonely age.
03:55 May 21, 2011 by Smartone
Shame on blonde, blue eyed chicks LOL :D Poor sheep :(
07:09 May 21, 2011 by volvoman9
I think the most compelling thing about this article is all the commentary it generated. Obviously a fascinating topic.
08:29 May 21, 2011 by HYBRED
I wonder what the reation would be if it was the wife having sex with a ram. In Copenhagen they still have the shows with a woman and pony, but yet not a man and a mare. Seems to be a lot of sexism going on here.
10:15 May 21, 2011 by P.Sturm
I didn't know Julian Assange was back in Sweden wandering around pastures.
10:34 May 21, 2011 by luke123
As long as he didn't pay the sheep, there should be no problem.
12:11 May 21, 2011 by Marc the Texan
I think making this a crime against someone's private property would be a better charge than animal cruelty. There seems to be debate over the animal cruelty, but use or trespass of private property is indisputable.
13:29 May 21, 2011 by titousmum
this article and the comments have given me more laughs than I've had in a long while! Kudos- to the Local for a great article.

Never mind my Swedish husband thinks that at times you guys make the Swedes appear a bit uhhhh...not exactly like the "stellar beings of human perfection " that they like to think of themselves as. ( 2 years for screwing a sheep- if she complains and 6 years for raping a hot chick on the street- well,because she was hot)

Tell it like it is ,guys! This is a helluv an article!

thanks the Local!!!
14:23 May 21, 2011 by ghhugh
I would bet five Kroner that the many in question has had dreams of repeating the Dolly experiment with his own input.
20:30 May 21, 2011 by wenddiver
No you khow why Donner KaBob is cheap, it's a multi-use item.
23:43 May 21, 2011 by infidel2012
Hey, Sheep don't tell...

But on the other hand, they can't wash dishes, do the laundry or cook...

...wait a minute,,, they can however be cooked, um yummy : )
12:35 May 22, 2011 by andyron2
what if the ewe gets pregnant?

do the DNA tests i say.
12:36 May 22, 2011 by johnny1939
I have read that it is considered good luck for fishermen to have sex w/ dolphins. How it is done I have no idea. Dolphins are powerful animals and can kill you. So maybe the good luck is to have survived sex w/ one. I read in the Times many years ago about an individual that had been caught and arrested for having sex w/ a dolphin but I don't real the outcome of this story. So it seems that it does happen.
00:49 May 23, 2011 by Markus G
To Marsha Lynn. I think we need to leave the kind of religious sexuality (i.e. one man, one woman for life) behind. It is not realistic evidenced by the large number of divorces in many countries (both Sweden and the USA are said to have divorce rates of more than 50%). People should not be forced into making promises (i.e. vows) they cannot keep.

"If you open the door to alternative sexuality, many things are going to come in that door." - yes, and that is a good thing. If people want to have sex with animals and no one is harmed, so be it. We should not be allowing the government to control what people do just because certain other people are disgusted by it. It simply should not be a matter for legislation.
01:27 May 23, 2011 by Manuel B
Marsha Lynn : You are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they say that people have the right to choose,then,people will choose anything,because they are being given such a right.

It's not possible for any society to function without limits .There must have limits for everything .Sex is between a man and a woman and within a legal and legitimate framework that is marriage./
11:06 May 23, 2011 by VultureSausage
@MarshaLynn

While I agree with your conclusions that different kinds of sexuality will become commonly accepted, I fail to see the problem. You claim to have proof as to why this would be a negative change and yet all you've said is that "it's bad because you say it is". You also seemingly do not understand that things such as moral and what is right is subjective terms. Merely claiming that you can somehow prove that every kind of sexuality except that between a man and a woman is wrong won't do, you'll have to actually provide evidence supporting your cause.
05:17 May 24, 2011 by CowboyUp
It was dark ...I thought it was Stevie Nix...and her sister.

Seriously, anybody that would take advantage of a dumb beast that way, would take advantage of a woman or child under their power if they thought they could get away with it.
16:08 May 24, 2011 by Tanskalainen
Sweden, I'm worried about ewe.
20:48 May 24, 2011 by Swedesmith
He was re-inacting a scene from Rameo and Ewe-e-et
22:13 May 24, 2011 by Tanskalainen
He gets his hair cut at the baa baa shop.
13:49 May 25, 2011 by nolikegohome
here is a similat story from 2007 happened in the Sudan link provided from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6623895.stm

maybe this chap shoul be made to marry the goat. lol

cheers
00:32 May 26, 2011 by Steggles
Was the sheep in Ewe-niform?
09:27 May 26, 2011 by myinnermagpie
The problem is the law that does not allow eye-witness accounts to be sufficient basis for an arrest in this case of animal cruelty. Since we cannot currently determine the degree of distress of a sheep barring evidence of physical damage an effective law would have to be more black and white. It is either animal cruelty or not, or is tampering with another person's property or not.

The question of having sex with animals is a social question and perhaps the basis of another set of laws. I don't really care if someone wants to have sex with an animal but I do care if it hurts or injures the animal.

Do sheep carry veneral diseases? Imagine explaining that to your health clinic.
16:17 May 26, 2011 by Tanskalainen
@myinnermagpie Sheep can carry gonorrhea.
09:27 May 29, 2011 by CJ from Sunshine Desserts
Poor animal, are there no local hookers ? Oh I forgot even that is illegal in Sweden thanks to Queen Gudrun....
02:02 May 30, 2011 by Da Goat
ewe rammy baaaa-s-ted
15:35 June 10, 2011 by Miltech
It really disgust and shocks me not only that a person can rape a sheep or any voiceless victim, but these nasty idiots leaving sick comments are just has bad as the sheep rapist. Raping animals in my strong opinion is has bad has raping a child or human! Why? Because they animals are voiceless victims and they are unable to express in words the horror of such an experience.

To all you idiots that have left these nasty, cold and sick comments I hope you are proud of your sick stupid selves, you sick sex criminals....

Animals have a right to be here as much as humans do and it is every decent law maker and decent citizens duty to protect animals as it is to protect the young, weak, disabled and old people. And animals have rights to!
16:53 June 17, 2011 by jacksonjerry
What was his name?
15:49 January 8, 2012 by janeway
78 comments (+ mine) on this issue and the only one I can agree with is this:

"15:35 June 10, 2011 by Miltech

It really disgust and shocks me not only that a person can rape a sheep or any voiceless victim, but these nasty idiots leaving sick comments are just has bad as the sheep rapist. Raping animals in my strong opinion is has bad has raping a child or human! Why? Because they animals are voiceless victims and they are unable to express in words the horror of such an experience.

To all you idiots that have left these nasty, cold and sick comments I hope you are proud of your sick stupid selves, you sick sex criminals....

Animals have a right to be here as much as humans do and it is every decent law maker and decent citizens duty to protect animals as it is to protect the young, weak, disabled and old people. And animals have rights to! "

The rest of you are disgusting and I wonder if the victim also asked for it if it had been your daughter, sister, mother, wife, etc. I think not! Since the majority of posters on this subject seems to enjoy bestiality, I can tell you this fact: People engaging in sex with animals are more likely to rape children than others. Paedophilians will get a jail sentence, animal rapers will get a fine.
Today's headlines
International
Swedish sisters create viral Syria stir
A shot from the video on YouTube.

Swedish sisters create viral Syria stir

Two sisters from Södertälje near Stockholm are celebrating getting more than 1.3 million hits on YouTube, with a video calling for peace in war-torn Syria. READ  

Pirate Bay
Pirate Bay founder gets three years in prison
A 2013 image of Svartholm Warg. Photo: TT

Pirate Bay founder gets three years in prison

Swedish "hactivist" Gottfrid Svartholm Warg has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison for hacking crimes. READ  

Royal family
Princess Madeleine to make Nobel comeback
Princess Madeleine at a previous Nobel banquet. Photo: TT

Princess Madeleine to make Nobel comeback

Sweden's Princess Madeleine is scheduled to appear at the Nobel Festival in Stockholm in December, after taking time out from her royal duties to focus on looking after her daughter. READ  

Politics
'We knew that Israel would be critical'
Foreign Minister Margot Wallström (left), with Sweden's Prime Minister Stefan Löfven. Photo: TT

'We knew that Israel would be critical'

Sweden's Foreign Minister has told The Local she respects Israel's decision to recall its ambassador after Sweden officially recognized the State of Palestine, and laughed off comments about IKEA furniture made by her Israeli counterpart. READ  

Analysis
'Store up your sunlight hours before winter'
Doctors say we should make the most of the autumn sunshine. Photo: Shutterstock

'Store up your sunlight hours before winter'

Spending time outdoors this autumn will help you survive a cold, dark Swedish winter. Baba Pendse, Head of Psychiatry at Lund University shares his top tips for battling the seasonal blues with The Local. READ  

Sports
Plot for shared Scandi Winter Olympic bid
Skiers hit the slopes in Åre, western Sweden. Photo: TT

Plot for shared Scandi Winter Olympic bid

Norwegian sports officials have said they want to co-host the winter Olympics with Sweden in 2026. But there has so far been no official response from Sweden. READ  

National
Anti-Israel graffiti 'not a race crime': Court
Photo: TT

Anti-Israel graffiti 'not a race crime': Court

A teenage boy who painted anti-Israel slogans and symbols on the Concert Hall in Gothenburg has been convicted for the damages he caused, but he walked free from racial agitation charges. READ  

Entertainment
A closer look at Sweden's rising stars
Swedish actresses Sandra Huldt and Julia Ragnarsson. Julia (right) has been nominated for a Rising Star award. Photo: TT

A closer look at Sweden's rising stars

Like to be ahead of the game when it comes to the next big thing on the silver screen? We find out more about the Swedish nominees for the Rising Star award to be presented at Stockholm's International Film Festival next week. READ  

Science
Swedish women in two-year sex pill study
Contraceptive pills have been linked to mood swings. Photo: Shutterstock

Swedish women in two-year sex pill study

Three hundred women from across Sweden are taking part in a study designed to demonstrate that modern contraceptive pills don't lead to decreased libido or mood swings. READ  

National
Stockholm 'sinking' oil spill ship safe
The ship was rescued on Thursday. Photo: Swedish Coast Guard

Stockholm 'sinking' oil spill ship safe

After fears a ship carrying around 52 tonnes of oil could sink in Stockholm's archipelago, Sweden's Coast Guard said the vessel had been towed to safety. READ  

RECEIVE OUR NEWSLETTER AND ALERTS
Lifestyle
Stockholm's shocking take on Halloween
Sport
Top ten quotes from Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Business & Money
Get your own office in Gothenburg or Stockholm - free for a day
Gallery
People-watching: October 30th
National
Sweden remains fourth best for gender equality
Blog updates

31 October

Editor’s Blog, October 31st (The Local Sweden) »

"Hello readers, Welcome to our latest 60-second round-up of the week’s news. First, Sweden made headlines around the..." READ »

 

29 October

Scariest day (Blogweiser) »

"This is what’s frightening me on Halloween. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OFZVCu8J0&list=UUJu5J7jG4uoYSjWbpFsJBuQ Follow my posts on FB. ..." READ »

 
 
 
National
Timeline: Julian Assange sex allegations
Sport
World Cup ski race on 'fake' Stockholm slope
Society
An Arctic tradition: hunting and handicraft
Society
Stockholm taxis offer free therapy sessions
National
The Local meets Health Minister Gabriel Wikström
Gallery
Property of the week: Österåker
Society
Homeless turtles get Stockholm police ride
National
Construction worker has 'Sweden's best beard'
National
Italian musician jazzes up Sweden's Lapland
Gallery
Zlatan's career in pictures
Finest.se
Gallery
People-watching: October 25th and 26th
Lifestyle
'Swedes are funnier than they think'
National
Swedish town 'like Venice' after heavy rains
Lifestyle
What's On in Sweden: October 24th - 31st
Gallery
People-watching: October 22nd
Gallery
In Pictures: Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist
Lifestyle
Eight things to love about renting a Swedish apartment
National
Vasa ship cannon blasted in Sweden
National
Sub hunt: Day-by-day
National
Sub hunt: Stockholm islanders share their fears with The Local
Sponsored Article
The best options for oversea transfers
National
Dentist gives free care to Roma beggars
Gallery
Property of the week: Malmö
Gallery
PHOTOS: 'Foreign activity' in Swedish waters
TT
Society
QUIZ: How good is your Swedish?
Society
The nudity... and nine other things expat men notice in Sweden
Gallery
People-watching: October 15th
Gallery
Your views: Should outdoor smoking be banned in Sweden?
Business & Money
Sweden has 'large hole' in finances
Sponsored Article
Introducing... Finding a job in Stockholm
Society
Monster salmon caught in northern Sweden
Gallery
Property of the week: Lorensberg
National
Scandinavia's child bride
National
Ebola crisis: How is Sweden preparing?
Business & Money
How Sweden is becoming a cashless society
Gallery
Stockholm Burlesque Festival 2014
National
How a little red horse became a symbol for Sweden
Gallery
People-watching: October 12th
Business & Money
The hottest start-ups from southern Sweden
National
Stockholm is 'best' region for well-being
Sponsored Article
How to catch the first lobster of the year
Team SCA
Sponsored Article
All-female SCA team takes off on Volvo Ocean Race
Latest news from The Local in Austria

More news from Austria at thelocal.at

Latest news from The Local in Switzerland

More news from Switzerland at thelocal.ch

Latest news from The Local in Germany

More news from Germany at thelocal.de

Latest news from The Local in Denmark

More news from Denmark at thelocal.dk

Latest news from The Local in Spain

More news from Spain at thelocal.es

Latest news from The Local in France

More news from France at thelocal.fr

Latest news from The Local in Italy

More news from Italy at thelocal.it

Latest news from The Local in Norway

More news from Norway at thelocal.no

989
jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN