Advertisement
Advertisement

Swedish firefighters in fireplace video mix-up

Share this article

Swedish firefighters in fireplace video mix-up
06:36 CET+01:00
Worried staff at an elderly care home in Jönköping in southern Sweden alerted the emergency services on Wednesday evening after seeing what they thought was fire flickering through a window in the adjacent building.

“It was in an apartment building and because they work where they do and there was a door code for the residential building, they had no way of getting in," said firefighter Jerker Sturedahl to daily Expressen.

The staff at the elderly care home, which houses 22 patients, decided to call emergency services before the fire spread anywhere else.

“They called us and alerted us of a fire," said Sturedahl to the paper.

However, when the emergency services arrived on the scene shortly after responding to the call, they were in for a bit of a surprise.

The fire that the personnel in the nearby building had spotted through the window turned out to be something much less harmful.

“We quickly realized that it was one of those DVDs of a fireplace,” Sturedahl told Expressen.

The fire, seen by the care home staff, was in fact a DVD of a pleasant fire played on someone’s TV screen.

“We even stayed and watched the fire for a while afterward," said Göran Gunnarson of the local police to news agency TT after the incident.

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement

From our sponsors

7 ways to help your child adjust to life abroad

Moving abroad can be a big adjustment for anyone - and it's even harder when the move wasn't your choice. So how do you help your children settle in when your family makes the move?


Database error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')
			ORDER BY
				entries.ENTRY_MODIFIED DESC
			LIMIT
				10' at line 20