It’s election day and the Swedes are out to do their democratic duty to go out and vote. To me, voting is freedom, voting is a right and a privilege. You cannot complain if you do not vote. The more people exercise their right to vote, in many parts of the world, the more freedom and liberty will spread around the world. This is not just an American ideal, this is a God given right every human should be able to do in their life.
But, I am not here to speak as Abe Lincoln, I want finish my trilogy of blogs on the royal family of Sweden. As an American, I may understand monarchies such as the Jackson’s, but we all know Michael and Janet were the only stars. Lets just say, Americans did not always have the best relationship with a certain monarchy from across the pond. Even today, if God forbid our great and current First Lady, Michelle Obama, touches the Queen of England and gives her an iPod, the world goes a little kooky and makes a huge deal. Seriously? Jag förstår inte(I don’t understand). More so, I still do not understand why there are any monarchies in our modern world. Most of the countries around the world that still have a King or a Queen, all have democracy and they all vote their own government in. At least as far as I know, there is little research in this piece. Basically, from my perspective, all these royal families are getting a pretty nice life and you guys are footing the bill. In America, a lot of our elected officials, in my opinion, get paid too well and have their jobs for way too long, BUT we can vote their butts out when we are not happy with them. Having a royal family, well that is a commitment for life.
I read a poll back in June that 67% of Swedes still want and love the Swedish royal family. That is a pretty good number and if a President had those kind of numbers, they’d be Bill Clinton. At the same time, the other 33% is still a pretty significant number, if we are polling all 9 million Swedes. Sweden is a country that is willing to pay more in taxes to get your 5 weeks of vacation, health care, family care and every other perk you pay for. Simply, I don’t understand the willingness to pay for figure heads of state, that have no power at all. I do understand that the royal family of Sweden does bring money into the country, whether it be tourist flocking to see the royal palace or the big wedding of Vicky and Danny, this past June. I was definitely not the only American in Stockholm for the royal wedding. We ran into many Americans that came to Stockholm for the wedding. Of which I went, “whaaat”? Ahhh, the differences in countries. I don’t think either our People magazine worshiping country or your Kunliga Svenska Damtidning obsessed land is better, we are both different and unique countries. It’s what makes us, us and you, well you. You crazy meatball, ABBA, Stig Larsson loving Swedes.
I am sure my Svenska Fru won’t like this article very much, but this is an old debate in our home. Thus is why I wrote two favorable, prior pieces on my blogom(like lagom, look it up Americans. Then again, my bride has the same kind of craze when we were in Washington DC last Fall and we saw the President’s motorcade twice or when thought we saw a Senator or Congressman in an ice cream place in Alexandria and when we almost got shot(literally guns drawn on me), trying to take a picture at the CIA headquarters. The threat level raises to orange even more if there is a movie star involved, but her highest level is still for her royals. This is why she does not understand how I can sit for hours and watch baseball, football or even Mel Brooks movies. Men and women, dogs and cats, Americans and Swedes, not better, just different.