• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Partner Visa / Sambo

My experience from application to approval

aussiemitch
post 14.Dec.2012, 09:29 AM
Post #1

As others on this forum helped me when I had questions about visas when I was first looking at moving to Sweden last year, I thought I would do the same and hopefully it will help someone else.

Background
I'm an Aussie, and my partner is Swedish and we have been together for about 2 years. We lived together in Australia for about a year before she had to move back to Sweden. We continued our relationship and I travelled to Sweden twice during the following 9 months apart.

The Application
I filled in my application online, which was about 10 pages, it had very standard questions about my family, her family, our relationship, who I was and what I did, etc. To be honest I wrote a lot, it took about 2 days to complete it. We could only include 3 photos, and 3 'other' supporting documents with the application, that obviously doesn't include all the proof of identity which we also had to provide.
Once I completed mine and hit the submit button, I received an automated email saying that my partner would receive an application (it was identical to the questions I was asked) by email and she will need to fill it out and submit it, once that was done the application would be officially submitted.

About 2 days after my partner submitted her questionnaire, I received an email requesting me to contact the Swedish embassy in my country, which of course was Canberra, for an interview,. I contacted them and booked in an interview for the following day, which I could take at the Swedish consulate in my city.

Apparently there are 2 different types of interviews, a basic 5 question interview, or an extensive 10 page questionnaire/interview. For some reason I had the extensive interview, and again it was fairly reasonable questions about me, and tested my knowledge of my partner and her family. It took about an hour.

About 2 weeks later I received an email advising that a decision was made and to again contact the Swedish embassy in Canberra for the decision. I contacted the embassy and they emailed me the decision which was, APPROVED.

All up the process took 3 weeks from the day we submitted the application to the day I got the approval email, and I am now happily living in Sweden. I was extremely impressed with the efficiency of the application process. I have seen a lot of complaints from people in these forums about the delay and process of the visa applications, but I just wanted to show not everyone experiences these problems.
Go to the top of the page
+
Migga
post 14.Dec.2012, 10:07 AM
Post #2

One will almost always only hear the nightmare stories about how bad it is to live, work, visit or apply a visa to Sweden. The reason is simple; it`s a loud minority that feels hurt and is motivated by this to make their story heard. There is nothing wrong with that and I don`t doubt that those stories are true. What people might forget is that the majority that have great experiences don`t feel the same need to tell their story. They are busy living their great lives. That means that one might get a twisted view of how things are. I thank you for not only giving an insight on how the process works, which will help others, but also for showing people a positive experience.
+
sverigevisa
post 14.Dec.2012, 11:10 AM
Post #3

@aussie welcome in sweden.
U lucky that u got positive experience from MV. Hope u will have more positive experience with Language, Jobs, Apartment, Driving license and some other matters.It is just the starting for u in sweden. Again i hope u will stay put with ur positiveness.

Cheers.
+
kawtarpaul
post 14.Dec.2012, 01:45 PM
Post #4

hej aussi , congrats for your positive experience , unfortunatly mine is and will be very bad (at least we will wait 6 months for a decision ) again if you allow me to compare 3 weeks to 6 months , i don't know if i should take it as a joke and smile about it , or as a depressing experience , at least , telling people about it makes one less sad.

well i wish you good luck with this new start.
+
maemae-
post 14.Dec.2012, 01:59 PM
Post #5

I am going to apply for sambo visa this coming January 2013 and I am quite happy seeing positive experience(s). Most of the experience(s) that I've read are pretty negative and it's kinda sad. Anyway, I hope that I will have a good experience too. By the way, welcome to Sweden and I wish you all the best! :-)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se