• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Posten and "the rules"

Common Sense?

c_s_s
post 6.Mar.2013, 10:40 AM
Post #1

I've been sent a parcel, which has been delivered to the local ICA. The name in my passport is Christopher but the name on the parcel is Chris. Apparently I cant sign for this parcel because the names don't match. In most other countries I've lived in this wouldn't be a problem..
What annoys me is that I have other ID that says Chris (non meet Postens strict guidelines for collection) and my surname is particularly rare (I know im the only person in Sweden with it on the population register) so it seems a bit OTT to refuse me the parcel.

I knew before moving here that the Swedes like to do things by the book (and im sure i'd be the first to complain if my parcel got stolen by someone pretending to be me) but surely this is where common sense comes in to play?

Has anyone else experienced this?
Go to the top of the page
+
oddsock
post 6.Mar.2013, 11:50 AM
Post #2

Years of experience has told me that Posten is staffed by idiots. Nothing surprises me anymore with these people.

Two weeks they sent me on a wild goose chase, sending me an e-mail saying that the package was at Post Office A ready for pick up. So I went to Post Office A, and Post Office A told be it was at Post Office B. So I went to Post Office B and Post Office B told me it was at Post Office A. Then they told me it had gone missing. Last week the package suddenly appeared in my mailbox. A week after it appeared in my mailbox I received a letter telling me that they had located the package, and that it was at Post Office A, waiting for me to pick it up. Morons.
+
Yorkshireman
post 6.Mar.2013, 12:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (oddsock @ 6.Mar.2013, 11:50 AM) *
Years of experience has told me that Posten is staffed by idiots. Nothing surprises me anymore with these people.

ICA is not Posten, so it is highly unlikely the person in ICA is a Posten employee!

Whilst it sounds like madness that common sense is lacking, there will be a Business Contract between Posten and ICA which will contain the responsibilities, security, guidelines etc... within the contracted services. ICA could risk being in breach of contract for issuing items that fall outside of those, and there may be hefty penalties to pay ...outsourcing of services can have it's drawbacks.

If it was Posten that you tried to get the parcel from, then common sense would be possible (one would hope!) biggrin.gif
+
c_s_s
post 6.Mar.2013, 12:13 PM
Post #4

Unfortunately not. I had a phone conversation with Posten last night and they told me that this was standard practice and a form would have to be sent from my company (the account holder) requesting change of name, which takes up to 24 hours.. Its very annoying
+
Puffin
post 6.Mar.2013, 12:13 PM
Post #5

Some of the ICAs have been hit by a scam recently where people have stolen other people's parcels with and they have been ordered by Posten to tighten up their procedures - at least this is what our ICA told Mr Puffin and refused to allow him to collect my parcel (even though he has done it for years)

If you have another ID in the correct name could you not just use this to get your post?
+
c_s_s
post 6.Mar.2013, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Alas, my other other IDs are membership cards etc, nothing formal. But without a national ID card, the only options for me are passport and drivers license anyway..
+
Hisingen
post 6.Mar.2013, 12:58 PM
Post #7

Rules are rules, and after more than fifty years in Sweden I can fairly say that 'as a rule' the Swedes are pretty unbending with regard to them. You can go to the same place day after day, year after year, be well-known to the people, even on a personal footing, but when something requires ID they will still ask you for it despite everything.
I honestly believe that they would aske their own grandmother for her ID if protocol demanded it.
And yet, use a credit card and they will seldom ask for verification that you are you.
It's a strange world we live in. rolleyes.gif
+
PDX
post 6.Mar.2013, 01:34 PM
Post #8

Wait a second... let's assume they handed the package to a person (officially) named Chris and your last name. Would you just brush it off with "ok, they just used common sense, so all is fine" ?

~~~PDX~~~
+
c_s_s
post 6.Mar.2013, 01:52 PM
Post #9

Assuming that there is another person with my proof of adress (receipt left by posten in my locked mailbox) and a passport with my name..
Of course it would be impossible for this situation to happen. But for arguments sake if this did happen, I wouldn't hold posten of ICA liable.
+
oddsock
post 6.Mar.2013, 03:28 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 6.Mar.2013, 12:07 PM) *
If it was Posten that you tried to get the parcel from, then common sense would be possible (one would hope!) biggrin.gif

It was Posten that I tried to get the parcel from, it was the Posten sorting centre I was sent to, that has nothing to do with ICA.
+
oddsock
post 6.Mar.2013, 03:36 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (PDX @ 6.Mar.2013, 01:34 PM) *
Wait a second... let's assume they handed the package to a person (officially) named Chris and your last name. Would you just brush it off with "ok, they just used co ... (show full quote)

Hahaha, you will do well in Sweden.

When you have to pick up a package, they send a letter to your address telling you to pick up the package. You bring the letter with you, because it there is a serial number on the letter. They use the serial number to find the package. Then they check that the ID of the person matches the addressed name on the package.

So accepting his ID could only be a problem if there is a Chris XXXX and Christopher XXXX both living at the same address, and the wrong one went down to the Post office with the letter.

In this case, the benefits of using human logic greatly outweigh the risks associated with an imaginary and non-existent scenario. Or, as Father Ted would put it:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrv7kdGy...08eqio1_500.jpg

I also have a Turkish friend who could not pick up his post because his name on the post was spelled with an S, whereas his ID showed a Turkish Ş. Seriously.
+
c_s_s
post 6.Mar.2013, 03:57 PM
Post #12

Well put oddsock! smile.gif
+
Hisingen
post 6.Mar.2013, 11:47 PM
Post #13

Recommendation - make doubly sure that when you order something, you give your name and address as on your ID.
Problem solved. biggrin.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Mar.2013, 12:40 AM
Post #14

I wonder what the penalty is to the employee that would give a package to the wrong person?

Would they be called idiots like the employees who would not give a package to the wrong person?

Just wondering of course mellow.gif
+
oddsock
post 7.Mar.2013, 01:12 AM
Post #15

Dreams...
Reality...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se