• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Is it worth a master’s degree in Sweden?

to get a job in Sweden

parkpg1
post 18.Mar.2015, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Hi. I'm not a Swedish but i am thinking to move to Sweden with my partner.
I have a Bachelor's degree in business management from one of English speaking countries and
I have some work experience. Luckily, I got a sambo visa so i can study Swedish for free.

I heard it is very difficult to get a job in Sweden. If they are from foreign countries and do not speak Swedish.

My questions is
Studying for master in Sweden.
Is it worth to do?

I saw many posts that even though they finished their master in Sweden, they still have trouble with getting a job in Sweden.
If i can get more chances to get a job in Sweden, i m willing to study for master for 2 years.
However, if master in Sweden is not important, I'm thinking to study just Swedish at SFI and try to get a job.
Any comments will be very helpful.
Go to the top of the page
+
Applecore
post 18.Mar.2015, 09:57 AM
Post #2

It all boils down to language really. The masters might help in creating a network, which can sort of help you with finding vacancies, but in the end i think language is more important. Maybe you can register instead for a career specific sfi course, i think it's called sfx.
+
skogsbo
post 18.Mar.2015, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Some places run fast track SFI for those who are educated & motivated and simply don't want to drag it out over several years.

Employment, you have some pieces of paper, but it's your previous employment and any unique skills that will get you work, that and contacts & learning Swedish. Adding another bit of paper to your collection won't make you anymore attractive to an employer unless you have the skills, experience and Swedish, it will just delay the inevitable rejection letters.

Better to start learning Swedish now, every spare minute you have. Then utilise your sambo's friends, family etc to get any employment you can. Once you get your foot in the door and start building your Swedish CV you will progress to where you want to be faster. There are thousands of Swedes with degrees in Business Administration etc.. who work as nothing more than glorified typists or receptionist... so you need some hard skills to make yourself a bit more valuable.
+
yorkie redux
post 18.Mar.2015, 10:39 AM
Post #4

In all honesty, I would forget moving to Sweden unless you wanted to start a career at the bottom of the pile (cleaning, bar work, care assistant). You may make inroads into the job market if you wanted to be an IT professional or teacher, but you can forget anything near a junior management position.

+
Applecore
post 18.Mar.2015, 10:51 AM
Post #5

I don't think it's a good ideea too completely deny any possibility of getting a good job in sweden with foreign bachelor and experience. It happens, and it has happened, and it will happen. Is it hard? Yes, of course, but it's not impossible, and just slamming this possibility is idiotic in my opinion.

It's one thing to be realistic and say, yes it will be very very hard, and another to be a Debby downer and just paint this gray demoralizing picture of the work market.
+
roxocjstk
post 18.Mar.2015, 11:12 AM
Post #6

I agree with you guys. I heard that Swedish skills is more important than doing a master in Sweden . and studying for a master for 2 years can be a waste of time. Thank you all.

I will think about SFI and SFX you mentioned
+
roxocjstk
post 18.Mar.2015, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Also i saw a comment that
Paradoxically, the fewer degrees and qualifications you have the easier it is for you to get a job in Sweden. That's because the only jobs that are available for an immigrant are the low-paid service jobs. Somebody with a Master degree will be considered as "overqualified" for those jobs.
+
Applecore
post 18.Mar.2015, 12:23 PM
Post #8

Personally i see a masters degree as being over qualifying in most career paths. It is simply not necessary in most cases. That being said, again, it depends on the job. Some people take a masters to add a particular field to a broader bachelor that they have, and that can be useful. However research is required in order to identify a masters program that is most likely to result in a job after. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

I don't believe that immigrants can ONLY get un-qualified service jobs. It's difficult yes to compete with the swedes on the high positions, but it's not impossible. Hell some companies actually prefer foreign employees depending on their profile.
+
yorkie redux
post 18.Mar.2015, 12:41 PM
Post #9

The OP needs to be realistic:

Whilst certain things are not impossible, they are at the same time high unlikely. This isn't a downer, but advice which may prevent the OP from building unrealistic expectations about life in Sweden and will also save them considerable time and money.

My advice to the OP would be to think carefully about Plan B, C and D. Some advice on this forum, whilst genuine, will be from expats who settled in Sweden some years ago when things were a little more straightforward. There are now an increased number of barriers (societal and bureaucratic) which will hinder you in Sweden as a 'foreigner'.

+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
?>