• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

The use of a VPN

And how it works?

Hisingen
post 25.Mar.2013, 05:35 PM
Post #1

I have a Sky box and dish aerial, and at present can see most of what Sky has to offer. Sometime in the near future, there will be a transfer to another satellite 1N to 2F, with possible loss of channels currently available. I have seen that some on here talk about using a VPN, and streaming TV programs via the internet.
Being a bit old in the tooth, and never having - shall we say had the need - to bypass my Sky box, I am wondering if anyone here, who uses a VPN, could enlighten me as to the purpose, availability, and usefulness of such a provider.I have looked at the VPN UK website, but they talk about this and that protocol which although I can follow to some extent, I am somewhat confused as to which I might need to meet my requirements should Sky transmissions become a lost cause on 2F.

Can anyone help an oldie?
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Mar.2013, 05:48 PM
Post #2

A mate of mine looks at the UK channels live over the net and it costs £5 a month and then he has Netflix. Unfortunately he is in the UK until wednesday. I´ll get back as i have the same problem and the worst is i do not have broadband so i´m stuck (our house is without contacts for telephones etc).
+
tangreti
post 25.Mar.2013, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Hi guys,

I can recommend 2 different systems, and I use both actually.

The simplest one, just requires you to enter 2 different DNS adresses into your router or device, depending if you want all your devices recognised as being in another country or each individual device only. It's easy and straightforward and costs 5 dollars. You can actually try it for free for a week. It's called Blockless. See the link below. (If you ever want to subscribe and you use the link below, I get a little kickback for recruiting a new user)

https://blockless.com/account/aff/go?r=31114

The other option is a traditional VPN service. The best I've found so far is HideMyAss, it provides great technical support and is fairly easy to setup. It works particularly good for PC's and tablets. I use this on top of Blockless because it allows me to simulate and IP adress in 53 countries, where as Blockless just gives you 4 areas to choose from (USA, UK, Canada, Latin America and Sweden).

http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/

Have a look at both and post your questions, happy to help.
+
JulieLou40
post 26.Mar.2013, 08:51 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 25.Mar.2013, 05:35 PM) *
I have a Sky box and dish aerial, and at present can see most of what Sky has to offer. Sometime in the near future, there will be a transfer to another satellite 1N to 2F, wi ... (show full quote)

Just wanted to say that I run our VPN through VPNUK, and when I looked at the info in the beginning it was all mumbo jumbo to me too. But fear not-if you want to install it, they will coach you through the installation with their live helpline. it was really good. I am clueless with computer tech stuff in general-so if I can manage it, you most certainly can too.
+
Hisingen
post 26.Mar.2013, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Thanks for all the replies, which I will go through and make a few experiments. JulieLou40 - no disrespect, but if the figure represents your age (or maybe it is your house number), then I ought to put Hisingen80, and if you can manage the VPNUK, then I ought to be able to also cool.gif
There was quite a lot of info, and it will take me a while to both go through it all and make my attempts at trying out the suggestions, but thanks all!! smile.gif I will try to make a report upon my experiences in due course.

I might add - for others who are worried about the forthcoming change in Sky atellite, that currently I can actually 'see' 4seven which is on 2F.. At the moment Ramsey is on, and I have about an 80% picture - with occasional digital breakup. But perhaps it is due to freak weather conditions, as normally the 'No signal etc' message shows.
I have made no changes to my dish, LNB or receiver, so this is quite unusual. None of the 5's or ITV1+ come through, though, just 4seven. To quote Yul Brynner from the King & I - - . 'Is a puzzlement'.
+
intrepidfox
post 28.Mar.2013, 09:41 AM
Post #6

This was the site for UK tv which a friend uses

http://www.watchuktvabroad.net/#.URJ-umreLYc.facebook
+
Snood
post 28.Mar.2013, 11:30 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 26.Mar.2013, 08:51 AM) *
Just wanted to say that I run our VPN through VPNUK, and when I looked at the info in the beginning it was all mumbo jumbo to me too. But fear not-if you want to install it, t ... (show full quote)

I too use VPNUK. Their customer service is great, they really go out of their way to help you out. They have published guides on how to set up their service on everything from a DD-WRT router, PC, MAC, Playstation and, probably even the toaster. They will still help out if you need it. They can even offer to help via a remote desktop session.

I find their prices to be very competitive and their service includes VPN, DNS, Smart DNS and proxy, I actually make use of VPN, Smart DNS and Proxies. Very flexible service.

Hissingen: If you do require assistance at some point, do let me know and i'll see what I can do to help you (VPN related, i'm not going to give you a sponge bath laugh.gif) .
+
beefbroff
post 29.Mar.2013, 08:37 AM
Post #8

I saw on here somewhere that somebody was using this service for live UK TV.
http://ex-pat.tv/
It costs 100 quid for the box and then 30 quid a month for all the Freeview channels that are streamed via Broadband into the box then into your TV.

Seems like a pretty good set up.
It would be interesting to hear if it's any good or not.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com