• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Swedish Family History Help

*Johnna J*
post 22.Feb.2008, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Hi Everyone
Is there anyone interested,or, knows a person who could help me in the search of the Family History records in Goteborg (Landsarkivet),I live in the UK and my Grandfather was born in Goteborg and I am unable to travel to Sweden myself.
Please contact me at johnnajohnso@yahoo.co.uk
Many Thanks
Johnna
Go to the top of the page
+
Joemath
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:08 PM
Post #2

You can start at www.HouseofNames.com

This website provides the origin of the name, noteworthy
people with the same name, the family crest, the
family timeline, geneology, the family Coat of Arms,
the family tree, surname histories and travel maps.

This is a great place to start the journey.

Joseph S. Maresca
+
Streja
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Joe math no it is NOT! Stop posting silly things. Her surname is about as common as Jones.

Is the name Johnson and what was the name of your grandfather? Where in Göteborg was he from do you know?
+
Sofia_stockholm
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Actually, there is no need to travel to Sweden to look at most of the documents, they have been scanned or filmed and are available on the net.

If you go to http://www.svar.ra.se/ there is plenty of info in English, and their particular software is also available in English. It costs a small amuont to get access to the records though
+
Streja
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:17 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sofia_stockholm)
Actually, there is no need to travel to Sweden to look at most of the documents, they have been scanned or filmed and are available on the net.

If you go to http://www.svar.ra.se/winder.asp?uidObject...4-E1938D3AEA68} there is plenty of info in English, and their particular software is also available in English. It costs a small amuont to get access to the records though

Thanks Sofia...

Geez Joe Math you're not useful in these situations as you have NO connection to Sweden AT ALL!
+
Joemath
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:26 PM
Post #6

A common name will be very difficult to research.
If the name is Johnson or Johansson or Johanssen, then you will need other identifying information to narrow the search. I understand that the person is your grandfather.
Do you have any of his personal belongings?
These objects could provide useful clues in the
search.

Usually, the search begins in the town hall of birth. If a birth certificate is available, this may contain more detailed family information. Some other identifying information may be needed; such as, birth dates etc. Family members or others in the bloodline can be helpful in narrowing the search. It is always helpful to have
some personal belongings of the family member(s) which is
the subject of the search. For instance, I have some
personal belongings of people in my family who lived
around the time of the Civil War (in America).

When you go through personal belongings, you may find
pictures, driver licenses, marriage licenses,
school diplomas, union cards and a plethora of
identifying information useful in narrowing the
search.
+
Streja
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Joemath)
If the name is Johnson or Johansson or Johanssen, then you will need other identifying information to narrow the search. I understand that the person is your grandfather.
search.

Usually, the search begins in the town hall of birth. If a birth certificate is available, this may contain more detailed family information. Some other identifying information may be needed; such as, birth dates etc. Family members or others in the bloodline can be helpful in narrowing the search. It is always helpful to have
around the time of the Civil War.

identifying information useful to the search.

She's looking for her grandfather not some distant soldier from 1863!

Public records are quite elaborate in Sweden Joe...
+
*A'murkin*
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:37 PM
Post #8

he did not say which civil war... spanish? Balkan? ...
+
Joemath
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:38 PM
Post #9

If that's the case, the requisite information will not
be difficult to obtain.
+
Streja
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:38 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (A'murkin)

He's American dude...he means the American Civil war...wake up.
+
*A'murkin*
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:40 PM
Post #11

A'murkin wrote:
Quote:

He's American dude...he means the American Civil war...wake up

:cry:
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 22.Feb.2008, 06:42 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Joemath)
search.

around the time of the Civil War.

identifying information useful to the search.

You cannot search a surname too far back, because up to about the middle of the nineteenth century the common Swedish people were named under the patrynomic system.

At that time the common folk were allowed to "take" a name for their own, as a family surname.

Strange things happened then.

My grandfather chose the surname that I have now and his brothers chose different ones!!!!!!
+
Willy
post 22.Feb.2008, 10:45 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Streja)
Joe math no it is NOT! Stop posting silly things. Her surname is about as common as Jones.

But that site seems so reliable! It even has the "Ancient Coat of Arms of the Svensson Family".

:wink:

Yours to download for $15.93.
+
*Johnna J*
post 23.Feb.2008, 10:57 AM
Post #14

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the delay and there is something wrong with this mail system because I've just finished my response to ALL of you kind people who responded to my mail, only to lose my entire letter, so, I am starting again but intend to split my response into two parts if necessary, please bear with me!
Derek Johnson
+
*Johnna J*
post 23.Feb.2008, 11:09 AM
Post #15

Hi Again,
First my error, it was not my Grandfather's records that I am looking for, it's my Great-Grandfather.
I started looking for him three years ago, and have searched all of the Swedish Web Sites with the exceptiion of the one Sofia sent me, I will look at that later, to be honest I'm not the brightest Bulb on this planet and I find these searches difficult to say the least. My latest search was to contact the Landsarkivet i Goteborg by mail of my request and if necessary pay a fee, in there answer they replied " The unit of registration in Sweden is the Parish and in Goteborg there are SEVERAL PARISHES" which make it difficult.
See next part.
Derek Johnson
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN