• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Watermain bursted in my house.. how to repair?

Watermain problem . LF a company/person to fix

kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:06 PM
Post #1

watermain bursted in my house at Täby... it seems very difficult to repair.

can anyone tell me where can I find a cheap company who can fix this? T_T
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:10 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (kkkgho @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:06 PM) *
watermain bursted in my house at Täby... it seems very difficult to repair.. can anyone tell me where can I find a cheap company who can fix this?

Come on, this is a do-it-yourself job rolleyes.gif . You can find plenty of instructions on the net, for example:

Here is a really good one with pictures:
http://bigaslife.com/HowToFixABrokenUndergroundWaterPipe.asp

And here is a shorter version if it's really urgent:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2259163_repair-bro...water-line.html

~~~PDX~~~
+
John.Smith
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Or just try this for a list of plumbers in Täby
+
skogsbo
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:21 PM
Post #4

turn off water before and after leak.(important bit, to avoid the whole house back draining when pipe is cut.)

Insert new section of pipe, and/or using compression or soldered joints. Check diameter of pipe before purchasing.

If needed use freeze spray if no stop tap.

Make sure you have all the bits before starting the job!

If you or a plumber has the tools this is a 30mins job max, probably 10 unless it's in a awkward place.

Next - why did it burst? No insulation?
+
PDX
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:24 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:21 PM) *
If you or a plumber has the tools this is a 30mins job max, probably 10 unless it's in a awkward place.

What are you talking about, he mentioned a water main, right? These tend to be underground, just look in the first link I gave.

This is at least a few hours job and I cannot imagine the plumbing company charging less than 10k as it is probably going to be a couple guys and include a Täby-surplus rolleyes.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
skogsbo
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:28 PM
Post #6

Firstly he said 'in the house' which would imply it's not a metre underground, otherwise how did he even notice the leak IN HIS HOUSE.

Dig, hole, yes takes time. Freeze spray normally gives you 30mins, which is plenty for repairs for anybody competent enough to under take the job. I following your massive presumption that OP is lying it is not in his house at all, but 1metre underground, beyond any stop tap, which means you can turn it off locally.

Plus, if it is outside, the freeze spray will thaw even slower than normal.

Your point was? smile.gif
+
PDX
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:34 PM
Post #7

All right then, let's wait for the progress report from OP rolleyes.gif ...

~~~PDX~~~
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:11 PM) *
Or just try this for a list of plumbers in Täby

thanks very much. now I found a company who will come to visit and check the problem for free at torrmow. hope they dont find this problem too big and cost too much to repirt
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:49 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:28 PM) *
Firstly he said 'in the house' which would imply it's not a metre underground, otherwise how did he even notice the leak IN HIS HOUSE.Dig, hole, yes takes time. Fr ... (show full quote)

yes the problem happened in the house.. but i dont really find out where is broken. I heard big sound of water flowing. but i see only a small amount of water come to floor... I think the problem is inside the wall

for now i have shut down the waters and wait for the company... but i am not sure my father would like to pay to repair. maybe after all he will just ask me to fix it :C
+
PDX
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:49 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (kkkgho @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM) *
hope they dont find this problem too big and cost too much to repirt

I am still betting on 10k unsure.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
skogsbo
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:50 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (kkkgho @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM) *
thanks very much. now I found a company who will come to visit and check the problem for free at torrmow. hope they dont find this problem too big and cost too much to repirt

I'm presuming the leak isn't on the mains or that extensive, otherwise you will have created a local ice rink by tomorrow. Or, have you turned it off and are you without water until tomorrow?
+
skogsbo
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #12

I see, is the wall insulated, solid wall, brick / wood. Severe cold could penetrate it enough to freeze it, then thaw the next day, but it's unusual in a newer building and in one that is occupied, but not impossible, especially if the pipe is touching the solid material, so it's conducting haet away quicker.

Or, is it running down inside the wall from elsewhere?

Can you actually see the pipe at all, or just the water that's come from it?
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:21 PM) *
turn off water before and after leak.(important bit, to avoid the whole house back draining when pipe is cut.)Insert new section of pipe, and/or using compression or soldered ... (show full quote)

i think the reason of leak was this house has nobody living.. so we did not keep the heater.

the leak happened about half a month before. I just shutdown the water to that house and did nothing.

but right now since we are going to rent out this house. my father ask me to fix this.

today i when to threre and check about the house. the leaking was stoped from the frozen. so I use the candle and heaters to recover it from frozen. then the leaking was back!

I heard big sounds of water flowing. and water leaking to the floor. but i did not find out where is the damage. from the sounds, it seems to be inside of the walls...
+
kkkgho
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:57 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:50 PM) *
I'm presuming the leak isn't on the mains or that extensive, otherwise you will have created a local ice rink by tomorrow. Or, have you turned it off and are you without water until tomorrow?

yes i already turned it off and there are no waters in the house for now
+
Migga
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:58 PM
Post #15

Ohh that`s going to cost.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com