• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Swedish girl with UK boyfriend, england or Sweden?

Oppinions and advice needed!

skogsbo
post 14.Oct.2013, 10:33 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 14.Oct.2013, 10:20 AM) *
The only difference between UK and say Sweden is that the NI number in the UK is between yourself and the tax/benefit office and not generally used to track every move you mak ... (show full quote)

But then in some respects the UK is in the dark ages, I can recall trying to join or register in person for something. I had a passport, driving licence and my works ID (government) and they would not let me join, because I needed a utility bill with my name and address on it, something which any kid could knock together on Word etc. in under an hour.

I prefer the one all encompassing number, it may be harder to get, but it works everywhere. Combined with my Bank internet log ins, as online security, then many other things online also prefill with my personal details.

Sweden might give everyone a number, but the UK is the CCTV capital of the world.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 14.Oct.2013, 10:35 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (angrose @ 14.Oct.2013, 10:04 AM) *
but we are making plans to move to northern England.

I presume by north you mean the proper North, wink.gif drawing a line from Manchester across to Hull or York? smile.gif
+
PageyGB
post 14.Oct.2013, 11:18 AM
Post #33

Hey Sef M. Covilha! I had to look that up on good maps! I am in a village but I am not remote at all. In fact Cascais is walking distance away and I get to Lisbon in 35 minutes on the train. I would go crazy out there!
I bet its been a nice expereince out there though. You are just missing the beaches and the life.
+
Yorkiesbastardoffspring
post 14.Oct.2013, 08:02 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 14.Oct.2013, 10:33 AM) *
and they would not let me join, because I needed a utility bill with my name and address on it, something which any kid could knock together on Word etc. in under an hour.

..yet, you didn't have one. LOL.
+
Opirted
post 24.Nov.2013, 11:24 PM
Post #35

If he has a full time job in England maybe is better to choose England, if he likes his job, of course. If he hates it and is looking for a fresh start, then I'd go for Sweden.
+
I Love L.A.
post 25.Nov.2013, 12:27 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (Sef M @ 9.Oct.2013, 08:30 PM) *
Left the UK 3 years ago. The place is a dump, the people are moody, a British garden is about the same size as a Swedish kitchen, getting out to see some 'nature' in ... (show full quote)

Sounds like you are talking about London and not the rest of the U.K. Scotland imparticular has some of the best nature and friendliest people on Earth.
+
skogsbo
post 25.Nov.2013, 07:43 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (I Love L.A. @ 25.Nov.2013, 12:27 AM) *
not the rest of the U.K. Scotland imparticular has some of the best nature and friendliest people on Earth.

I will agree that folk beyond London are generally a bit more hospitable and yes there is clearly more nature. But property still costs a fortune, unemployment in the parts of Scotland is probably like trying to find a job in the remotest part of the Sweden, only in the UK you'll pay 3 or 4 times as much for your house. Whilst only having a garden the size of the Swedish kitchen mentioned!! All the small affordable rural UK properties have long since been snapped up by rich southerners looking for 2nd or 3rd homes, that get used a handful of times per year.
+
Ivor stephé
post 25.Nov.2013, 09:38 AM
Post #38

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 25.Nov.2013, 07:43 AM) *
But property still costs a fortune, unemployment in the parts of Scotland is probably like trying to find a job in the remotest part of the Sweden, only in the UK you'll p ... (show full quote)

This viewpoint has to be subjective to your assets?
I am sure if you had emigrated to Vietnam you would have an even larger garden based on your own personal wealth.
Whereas if you moved to Hongkong, you would most probably be living in a shoe box.

Southern Germany has some lovely parts, where crime is low. The weather is much nicer and property is good value for money. But what many people pay for is usually based on their own wishes.

London itself is growing at a very fast rate, which is pushing prices up.
And while you may not like it, millions of people are moving there by choice. And paying a premium to live their.
The same goes for growing cities like Stockholm. And what you base as friendliness is your perception is a minority view.
As less people choose to live where you do, and more people choose to live in places you dislike.
+
llllXllll
post 2.Dec.2013, 07:43 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (tzimba @ 6.Oct.2013, 03:37 PM) *
Hey everyone! So after a lot of thinking back and forth we decided we need some oppinions, I found this forum and thought i'd check here! our story is I am a Finni ... (show full quote)

im an english guy, married a swede, met online, now living in sweden, north.
compared to sweden england is a sh**hole l0l,
if you want to learn a little of what its like to live in england just read on bbc news..
things are more expensive here, food clothes.
electronics seem cheaper, housing i dont know we rent fom my wifes mother.
were lucky there.
but really, you dont want to live in england, he would probably love it here.
maybe try a short holiday there and here for him?
+
JulieLou40
post 2.Dec.2013, 09:11 AM
Post #40

Why does the headline say you are Swedish, if you say you are Finnish? blink.gif
+
Seamus Sean
post 2.Dec.2013, 12:32 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 2.Dec.2013, 09:11 AM) *
Why does the headline say you are Swedish, if you say you are Finnish? blink.gif

Don
+
Mb 65
post 2.Dec.2013, 01:33 PM
Post #42

I would stay in Sweden. Your boy friend can go to Komvux to lean Swedish. Every English person i met there have found jobs here. I moved here from Surrey in the UK and i would never ever go back. My advice is to give it a least a year because that will be the hardest.
+
I Love L.A.
post 2.Dec.2013, 04:47 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Mb 65 @ 2.Dec.2013, 01:33 PM) *
I would stay in Sweden. Your boy friend can go to Komvux to lean Swedish. Every English person i met there have found jobs here. I moved here from Surrey in the UK and i would ... (show full quote)

Could not disagree more. They should move to England ASAP! The English (and Scottish, Irish, American, Canadian and Australian) people I met in SFI class (why should he pay to learn Swedish at Komvux?) all had extreme difficulties finding work here. None, myself included, ever wound up doing any work in Sweden that was remotely close to the type of work we had years of experience with back home.

I also disagree about the first year being the hardest. For me that was far & away the best time I ever had in Sweden. It was only after being here two or three years that I began to see all the problems that Sweden likes to sweep under the rug.

The U.K. absolutely has its its own share of problems, but I personally feel a Finnish/Swedish woman will have a much easier time fitting into England than an Englishman will fitting into Sweden. Best of luck whatever you decide though, and please keep us up to date! I'm really curious to see which path you choose.
+
skogsbo
post 2.Dec.2013, 05:34 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (I Love L.A. @ 2.Dec.2013, 04:47 PM) *
, people I met in SFI class (why should he pay to learn Swedish at Komvux?) all had extreme difficulties finding work here. None, myself included, ever wound up doing any wor ... (show full quote)

in many places the local Kommune contracts out the tuition, to FolksUni, Komvux, Lernia etc.. so it will be free anyway.

Secondly, how easy you find work and how much you enjoy any country, is entirely down to that individual's skills and character.
+
Hisingen
post 2.Dec.2013, 07:31 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 2.Dec.2013, 05:34 PM) *
- - -. Secondly, how easy you find work and how much you enjoy any country, is entirely down to that individual's skills and character.

I would like to add to that - the individual's attitude.
I.e accepting Sweden for what it is, the Swedes for who they are, and being prepared to 'join in' and not constantly moan that 'things aren't like home'.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options