• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Local Super Troll

Award for the biggest troll

Social Hypocrisy
post 8.Dec.2012, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Wikipedias definition of a troll:

In Internet slang, a troll ( /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

That applies to a majority of the Locals inflammitory articles.

My thinking is that they publish inflammatory articles to keep us comming back, thus increasing their advertising revenues.

Also which thread has the largest amount of replies... is the biggest troll?
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 9.Dec.2012, 12:03 AM
Post #2

I get the feeling that when trolls turn up on these forums, they are quickly recognised and more or less shot down fairly quickly. There are often inflammatory exchanges between members of differing points of view or persuasions.

But as I recall, the latest troll is on the news section. With his hair up in a bun and a beard, and using profane language with the permission (or good countenance) of the moderators, he rants on against life in the country that is providing him with a home. He tries to gain sympathy - or set up forumites for, or against him. There are plenty of replies to his rant anyway. Over 60 I believe, and a bit divided as one would expect. But that is trolling.

Others come on here with a big ladle, trying to stir things up, but as many of the folks here are regulars, the trolls get short shrift in the main. We have a bit of fun at their expense and sometimes they go away with a flea in their ear. Others are a little more persistent, or thick-skinned, but eventually everything calms down after a while as sanity returns.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
+
Svensksmith
post 9.Dec.2012, 12:23 AM
Post #3

I've got skin like a rhino.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Dec.2012, 12:59 AM
Post #4

I'm all for an occasional "provocatively ambiguous" post once in a while...it's fun to see it misread by someone who now has their knickers in a twist.

You may consider "knickers" to be uni-sexual...or not! rolleyes.gif

And then when this place is quiet...like now...Trolls are welcome!
+
byke
post 9.Dec.2012, 01:06 AM
Post #5

So lets get this straight.

A person who posts links to news stories related to Sweden, in a section of the forum specifically designated to "Swedish News" is called a troll?

That makes perfect sense.

Don't shoot the messenger, no instead claim the messenger is a troll instead.
That way the news links that are written by seperate independent journalists can be tarred with the same accusation.

With such inteligence, maybe Google should also be labeled as a troll for linking to news stories.
And prioritising popularity of such based on the actions of their users.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 9.Dec.2012, 02:35 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (byke @ 9.Dec.2012, 02:06 AM) *
A person who posts links to news stories related to Sweden, in a section of the forum specifically designated to "Swedish News" is called a troll?

I can't see that anybody made this statement. Paranoid much?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Dec.2012, 03:28 AM
Post #7

How many people with a beard and a bun?

And then the guilty confess before they are charged (identified)...simply because they identify with a certain behaviour. cool.gif
+
nosturnal
post 9.Dec.2012, 08:32 AM
Post #8

Wikipedia is not a reliable ;P
+
byke
post 9.Dec.2012, 09:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 9.Dec.2012, 02:35 AM) *
I can't see that anybody made this statement. Paranoid much?

Far from it.
Ones own user name has been used in the past as a thread directly related to the comments submitted.

But then again, what more should I expect from a poster who has been labelled as a "Swedebasher".
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com