• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Mid-twenties, where should I live in Stockholm?

Central? Suburbs? Anywhere?

MikeFB
post 18.Jan.2013, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Hey there -- I'm moving to Stockholm for 3-5 month internship in a few weeks, and am trying to figure out where to grab an apartment. My work would be at the Karolinska site in Huddinge, so I need to be able to access there, but is that a good area to live? I'm a Canadian guy in my mid-twenties, and while my priority is to do a good job and try and build this contract into something longer-term, I do want to experience the city and what it has to offer. (Was there for a conference last year, and loved it)

So, I guess my question is this: Should I be looking at the suburbs in Huddinge (saving the commute from central Stockholm) or going for something more central? If the latter, where should I be shopping around? (Budget: ~4,000-5,500 SEK)

Also, any suggestions on good search websites would be fantastic -- I've been using TheLocal and Blocket.se for now, but there may be others.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer. Moving cities is always a bit of a headache, but an ocean, 7 timezones, and -- apparently -- a legendarily complex housing market... well, that makes things even trickier, and I could use whatever tips I can get!
Go to the top of the page
+
jostein
post 18.Jan.2013, 04:37 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (MikeFB @ 18.Jan.2013, 02:40 PM) *
Hey there -- I'm moving to Stockholm for 3-5 month internship in a few weeks, and am trying to figure out where to grab an apartment.. ...

You make it sound so simple! You must be a very resourceful individual!
+
PDX
post 18.Jan.2013, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Ask Karolinska to assist you with the process of finding the apartment, it is standard procedure for visiting researchers at least.

Other than that, you should be happy with any place you can find.

If you are white, the no-go zones are Rinkeby-Tensta-Hjulsta and maybe Akalla (well, it's not really "no-go", I cycle through these areas occasinally to see the burned cars and other interesting scenery). Also, beware of scammers on the sites!

~~~PDX~~~
+
Skugglegend
post 18.Jan.2013, 05:47 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (MikeFB @ 18.Jan.2013, 03:40 PM) *
So, I guess my question is this: Should I be looking at the suburbs in Huddinge (saving the commute from central Stockholm) or going for something more central? If the latter, ... (show full quote)

Maybe somewhere close to "Pendeltåget" www.sl.se - maps
I´m not a big fan of Pendeltåget, specially when you getting home late at weekends. I would choose somewhere you have both Pendeltåg and tube...like Solna, Sundbyberg...I prefer south...so my choice would be near Årstaberg...like Liljeholmen where you have tube. But as someone said...I guess you should be happy with anything new in Stockholm wink.gif
+
canuk
post 18.Jan.2013, 06:27 PM
Post #5

hi there, kungsholmen, specifically where i live is very central and i have a living room (a full room, door etc) available for rent..its about 5 min walk from the central station...if your interested send me a Private Message (PM)...
+
MikeFB
post 18.Jan.2013, 06:43 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (jostein @ 18.Jan.2013, 04:37 PM) *
You make it sound so simple! You must be a very resourceful individual!

Hahaha -- More like under-employed and jumping on the best opportunity I've got to go with. But let's go with resourceful.

QUOTE (Skugglegend @ 18.Jan.2013, 05:47 PM) *
Maybe somewhere close to "Pendeltåget" www.sl.se - mapsI´m not a big fan of Pendeltåget, specially when you getting home late at weekends. I would choose somewher ... (show full quote)

Thanks for those suggestions -- I guess it really seems like anywhere will work, and that Karolinska seems to be fairly accessible from wherever. While not a huge fan of it (who is), I've done my share of commuting, and wouldn't be too bothered by something in the 30 minute range. And that's a really good point about the tube -- Thanks!
+
MikeFB
post 18.Jan.2013, 06:44 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (PDX @ 18.Jan.2013, 04:44 PM) *
Ask Karolinska to assist you with the process of finding the apartment, it is standard procedure for visiting researchers at least. Other than that, you should be happy with a ... (show full quote)

Do you happen to know how I would get in touch with that office at Karolinska, or it's name? The people I'm going to work with have been rather disorganized, and it might go faster if I went through my own channels.
+
jackityjack
post 18.Jan.2013, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Being in your mid 20s I reckon you would have the best time living on Södermalm which is very central but very difficult to find accommodation there in your price range - though you might find a room or a short term sublet if you are lucky.

That 'alternative' vibe found on Södermalm has extended southwards in recent years towards Årsta (not on the tube - but it is on the tramline) and Aspudden, Midsommarkransen, Telefonplan (all on the red tube line).

There is a website http://www.bostaddirekt.com which you pay a fee to look at the listings which people often use. No idea on the cost of this however. You can see the listing just not the contact deets if you have not paid.
+
hatim
post 18.Jan.2013, 08:18 PM
Post #9

I think your question would be where can you find some place to live, period. Good or bad comes after you are able to find any thing. There is a good chance that you might end up crashing in a youth hostel for quite some time.

And in your budget you can forget an apartment. I reckon that after February any one bedroom apartment in Stockholm will cost you more than 7000 SEK easily.
+
MikeFB
post 18.Jan.2013, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Yeah, I think I'm looking more at just showing up in Stockholm, and looking for places for a few days while crashing at a hostel.

And I guess I should have been clearer at the top -- I'm not really looking for a 1-bedroom apartment. Perfectly happy -- maybe even prefer -- to live with other people, and just have a room.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com