• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Sweden vs Denmark

What do you think?

Opalnera
post 17.Aug.2014, 10:31 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 17.Aug.2014, 08:54 AM) *
I would take a different view, how many Swedes buy holiday homes in Denmark? If it was so great there, the summer traffic would be the other way around. Although legoland, exp ... (show full quote)

I have a friend who lives in Oslo, has a great job and absolutely loves the life there. It's expensive but they are also paid very well. A lot of Swedish kids go there for menial jobs but there are also excellent professional opportunities, got me thinking at least!

QUOTE (köttbulle med sås @ 17.Aug.2014, 09:18 AM) *
@Opelnera: yes I speak Dutch ( I am Flemish) as my mothertongue,Besides that I speak French,German,English and Spanish. All more or less fluent. I must admit my French is gett ... (show full quote)

I was very impressed with Brussels! It's like Paris except very clean and a lot less poverty. I must admit though, I was not at all impressed with Belgian food, apart from waffles (which I don't like anyway) and chocolates it was very average to me, lots of fried things. We spent some days in Ghent during the festival which was awesome and they had some great ethnic restaurants but for traditional Flemish and Belgian food it was just bland (sorry). We spent a bit more than a week this summer in Belgium. I liked some parts better than others, Ghent and Brussels were stand outs, the only place I really disliked was Antwerp which unfortunately was worst city I've been to in the whole of Europe and I've traveled around a lot.

Denmark is very fun, I spent a wild new years there a couple of years go. I found the Danish people a lot more welcoming than Swedes and they are a lot more relaxed, everyone drinks and smokes and doesn't care. In some ways it's good but in others you can really see that their less healthy lifestyle affects their health just by how they look (dull hair and skin). In any case I certainly love visiting Denmark and Copenhagen is a very fun place. The food is certainly underwhelming, they eat a lot of junk food.

Sweden is a big country so it's a mix. I live in Uppland which is probably the most boring part of Sweden as far as nature is concerned. The food is on the way up, a lot of chefs are being recruited from overseas and a lot of Swedish chefs have spent considerable time out of Sweden improving their craft. Even the delicate Swedish palate has an improved taste for flavour (not just cinnamon and cardamom) and Swedes pride themselves on cooking simple foods well. But still when it comes to cakes and desserts there is no rival for places like Germany or Italy.

I actually find myself missing Sweden when we travel. Which is quite funny because the first year I lived in Sweden I was MISERABLE.

Go to the top of the page
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se