• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish man saves women from drowning in China

Video of the rescue

Migga
post 10.Dec.2012, 02:01 PM
Post #1

As you could read on the local newssite a swedish man rescued a chinese woman from drowning in a river.
http://www.thelocal.se/44954/20121210/

Here`s a video that shows the Swede jumping into the river and drag her back to shore;
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1354971493

When asked about the rescue the Swede said;

it was not a big deal, in part because the river in Chengdu in wintertime isn't as cold as Sweden's rivers in the summer.

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/284...oreign_lei_feng

Nice stuff and he sure is a hero. I wonder what Milad Mohammadi and the posters who agree with him about swedish behaviour would say about this? I wonder if they think this swedish mans behaviour should go to hell?
http://www.thelocal.se/44770/20121130/
Go to the top of the page
+
organic225
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Very nice. Commendable that the man risked his own safety to help save a stranger.

The guy who wrote the article would probably say that the man wasn't governed by "typical Swedish behavior" because he was outside Sweden and thus had escaped the cold self-centeredness.
+
John.Smith
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:47 PM
Post #3

If all Swedish men were like that guy it would be a better country. In fact if all people were like that man the world would be a better place!

You are comparing Apples and Oranges Migga! I too have been frustrated several times by that specific element of Swedish culture where people live in their own bubble. I have also seen some great kindness as well but it is the smaller and less 'brave' things that Swedish culture needs improvement on.

I recall helping a guy pull his car out of a ditch. I spent maybe 30 mins in the freezing cold in a snow storm helping him out, not one of the many passing cars offered to help . When I finally managed to pull him out, he unhooked my tow rope, hopped back in the car and took off. No thanks, no gratitude... nothing...!

Another example is at the recycling center a few months ago and a gubbe was trying to unload an obviously too heavy cast iron panna out of the trailor into the metal scrap bin... I watched him as I was unloading my own trailor which took me the best part of 20 mins. Not one person (and the place was packed) offered to help him unload... When I offered to help he nearly dropped dead with shock, accepted my help and I barely got a 'Tack' from him.

I have several other examples of this behaviour where people in need are ignored and/or when someone is given help they choose to NOT acknowledge the fact that someone just did something nice!

Probably the worst I ever saw was an elderly lady who slipped on ice outside ICA. She could not get back up. People just walked around her!!!! I ran over and helped her to sit up and my wife stayed with her while I ran into ICA to get help. She was easily on the ground 1 minute before me and the missus arrived to help... sickening..

I love all other aspects of Swedish culture except for the passivity when it comes to doing the small kind things for people you don't know.
+
organic225
post 10.Dec.2012, 04:01 PM
Post #4

Nice reply, John. With regard to the instances about which you wrote, I often wonder if the reason for this lack of connection among people has something to do with the central role of the state in everyday life. As the state has expanded, it has assumed many of the roles and responsibilities that traditionally fell within the purview of the family and the neighborhood. "Neighbor helping neighbor," if you like. I think people are generally more isolated today, and strangers are more likely expect that "the system" will tend to the needs of individuals.

This observation is not meant to downplay the benefits of the Swedish system in other areas.
+
nosturnal
post 10.Dec.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #5

This guy is HERO man.
+
Coolrunnings
post 10.Dec.2012, 04:22 PM
Post #6

That swedish guy was lucky. In many other cases, good samaritans in China got sued by the victims they rescued. Hence nobody would be that daft to help.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/3...-rules-shenzhen

The ingratitude of swedes for even the smallest things like giving the elderly a seat on the bus gets you a hurl of abuse from them. So yes, I've gone native now.
+
Migga
post 10.Dec.2012, 05:08 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 10.Dec.2012, 03:47 PM) *
You are comparing Apples and Oranges Migga! I too have been frustrated several times by that specific element of Swedish culture where people live in their own bubble. I h ... (show full quote)

I respect your opinion as long as you recognize that it`s hardly something unique to Sweden and that you acknowledge that there is just as much great kindness as well.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Dec.2012, 06:03 PM
Post #8

That guy could never be a real Swede!

He must have been a "naturalized" immigrant on Holiday.

We all know Swedes are a terrible group of people and would never do anything that nice.

Bad lot, them people.
+
John.Smith
post 11.Dec.2012, 07:31 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Migga @ 10.Dec.2012, 05:08 PM) *
I respect your opinion as long as you recognize that it`s hardly something unique to Sweden and that you acknowledge that there is just as much great kindness as well.

Hi Migga,
smile.gif I love Sweden and would not live and raise my kids as Swedish if I didn't! Swedes are fantastic for 'big' charitable actions, i.e. donating to poorer countries, its asylum policy etc etc. These things do make a real positive difference in the world. However, it is the small every-day things that some facets of Swedish culture fail.

On the flip side of the coin, having lived in the States for a while, I saw the opposite. Small gestures were relatively widespread, but big charity didn't really exist. When I lived in Ireland I saw equal positive quantities of both. In London, I saw little of either.

I really do believe that charity (meaning kindness) should always start at home because this is where we as individuals can make a real difference. Despite my collection of sour experiences, I still do go out of my way to help people when I can.
+
Mark249
post 11.Dec.2012, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Swedes are not actually charitable. When it comes to donors it's because they have usually a big ego, prestige, want to feel superior or better about themselves. Likewise there have been so many scandals with donated money siphoned by swedes, used for other purposes etc. For this reason I never donate money to charity organizations. I trust them as much I would trust the beggar at the train station.
+
John.Smith
post 11.Dec.2012, 07:44 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (organic225 @ 10.Dec.2012, 04:01 PM) *
Nice reply, John. With regard to the instances about which you wrote, I often wonder if the reason for this lack of connection among people has something to do with the centra ... (show full quote)

Often wondered that myself, but not so sure to be honest. There is an element of the 'State should fix everything' amongst certain people, but for the most part people here want to stand on their own two feet. I think it is just that Swedes (big generalization) don't like to stand out from the crowd and at times do not like to get involved in any situation that places them outside of their comfort zone. There are exceptions to this generalization of course.
+
John.Smith
post 11.Dec.2012, 07:44 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Mark249 @ 11.Dec.2012, 07:43 AM) *
Swedes are not actually charitable. When it comes to donors it's because they have usually a big ego, prestige, want to feel superior or better about themselves. Likewise ... (show full quote)

harsh and not correct IMHO.
+
Mark249
post 11.Dec.2012, 07:49 AM
Post #13

Think what you like, if it makes you feel better. wink.gif
+
John.Smith
post 11.Dec.2012, 07:57 AM
Post #14

Ditto rolleyes.gif
+
Coolrunnings
post 11.Dec.2012, 08:13 AM
Post #15

Wasn't there a Royal Swedish count who stole a lot of money from red cross recently? If you can't rely on an upper class person then who can you rely on...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com