• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Wowzers .. The Local is even bigger than I thought

New article in the Guardian.

byke
post 28.Feb.2013, 12:52 PM
Post #1

I never realized that The Local serves 3 million readers in Europe.
No wonder many of the links to Swedish headlines have been getting so many views.

Congrats to The Local.
Credit given, where credit due.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade...al-media-sweden
Go to the top of the page
+
Max Reaver
post 28.Feb.2013, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Wow, I'm amazed.

This also includes TheLocal sites for Germany, Norway, Switzerland etc. There are not yet 3 million viewers on the Swedish headlines alone.

One thing i found interesting with the Swiss site is, most of their news are filled with reports on their corporations and finance policies. Whereas the Swedish one is dominated by things like "man beats wife".

And nowhere do people comment/discuss/argue as much as on the Swedish sites.
+
mångk
post 28.Feb.2013, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Yes, this article thread seems to confirm the rumour that is circulating - That Byke has started praktik at The Local! laugh.gif

Congrats Byke! biggrin.gif

If you haven't heard the rumour, it's okay. It wasn't started that long ago! wink.gif
+
skogsbo
post 28.Feb.2013, 01:12 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (mångk @ 28.Feb.2013, 01:08 PM) *
Yes, this article thread seems to confirm the rumour that is circulating - That Byke has started praktik at The Local! laugh.gif

well they had to move Trow on, his massive cut and paste articles were taking up too much space, but Byke's linking is more efficient.
+
mångk
post 28.Feb.2013, 01:16 PM
Post #5

laugh.gif
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 28.Feb.2013, 02:39 PM
Post #6

No offense to Byke, but I wish Mångk would continue to randomly post that pink muppet creature on its tricycle. It seems so happy - I wish it would ride past my window as I drank coffee in the mornings. smile.gif
+
byke
post 28.Feb.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 28.Feb.2013, 01:07 PM) *
One thing i found interesting with the Swiss site is, most of their news are filled with reports on their corporations and finance policies. Whereas the Swedish one is dominat ... (show full quote)

I always felt the front page consisted of stories such as either "immigrants bork bork bork" or some loose story where they try to include the word Sweden and associate the story with it in an almost form of national pride. Even though it was never intended so. Such as every goal performed by Zlatan for whichever team he plays for is somehow a reflection on Sweden?

Saying that the best thing at present is that given The Locals larger readership, and the ability for posters to contribute to to the news section via the forum. It allows a more diverse and I think more honest look at Sweden and whats happening in it.
+
Hamsterdam
post 28.Feb.2013, 06:27 PM
Post #8

It's all about exploiting a market. Most cut and paste stories add the headline Sweden, Swedish, Swedes etc,,,,

So when someone searches for Sweden in English they are diverted to the low quality site that is the Local. Good move by the faggots but undoubtedly others will get in on the act and then the current peak will subside.

Still, three million viewers (not regular readers per se) may know that byke is a malingering misery guts smile.gif
+
snarky
post 28.Feb.2013, 06:31 PM
Post #9

I am not sure I agree with this "one of the most reliable English-language news sources in Sweden was a start-up called The Local." When the local didn't have anything on the bomb in Vaxjo, I inquired to the editor at the local.se on why they had not reported on it. Below, I have put the email I sent to him and his response to me.

Me:
"Hope all is well. I am just curious as to why TheLocal.se is 'Sweden's news in English', but yet no article has been posted about the bomb found in Vaxjo. This story is all over every news outlet (smp.se, aftonbladet.se, etc) in Sweden, but TheLocal has failed to even post an article on it. I live around the Vaxjo area and would appreciate the information in english, which is what TheLocal should be providing, since after all that is what 'service' you are offering. But I guess a bomb found at a school isn't newsworthy enough? I just don't understand. Thanks for your time."

The Local:
"Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for the late reply. I recall the story you mentioned and can understand your wish for us to cover it. As there are many bomb scares that turn out to be false, we Decided to hold off. While the device did turn out to be an explosive, it was dealt with without incident. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to report on every story we see, but we certainly strive to live up to our promise of delivering Sweden's news in English.
We welcome tips about stories from your area that would be of interest to our wider readership.Thanks again for your input, and keep reading The Local."

Take what you will from it....but I firmly don't agree with the author on the guardian link that theLocal.se "one of the most reliable English-language news sources in Swedens" But most times it sure is good for a laugh. smile.gif
+
mångk
post 1.Mar.2013, 12:28 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Feb.2013, 05:21 PM) *
Saying that the best thing at present is that given The Locals larger readership, and the ability for posters to contribute to to the news section via the forum. It allows a m ... (show full quote)

Of course it allows you to promote your anti-'all things Swedish' agenda! But I would probably not use the word honest in relation to that!

Say, how long have you been a moderator???

Attached Image
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 1.Mar.2013, 04:09 PM
Post #11

biggrin.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com