• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Acquiring a Bike on the Cheap

Police sell stolen bikes?

graphixperson
post 7.Jun.2011, 10:07 PM
Post #1

So I heard that you can buy recovered stolen bikes at a police station for relatively cheap. That didn't really make sense to me as I thought that after the bike is recovered...shouldn't it be returned to it's owner?! Can someone confirm this?
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 7.Jun.2011, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Afraid not, they sell them in bulk to specifically licenced dealers.So you can't buy just one on the side.
+
johnjohn
post 8.Jun.2011, 06:48 AM
Post #3

where I live they are auctioned off with other stolen goods about once per year so individuals can buy them. About 500kr average..
+
swozzie
post 8.Jun.2011, 07:02 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (graphixperson @ 7.Jun.2011, 09:07 PM) *
That didn't really make sense to me as I thought that after the bike is recovered...shouldn't it be returned to it's owner?! Can someone confirm this?

If anyone has had their bike stolen they can reclaim it from Police Lost Property if they are able to prove it's theirs. It's not really a Police job to go looking for bike owners. It's the bikes that are not claimed that get sold off.
+
byke
post 8.Jun.2011, 07:15 AM
Post #5

Hello blocket
+
post 8.Jun.2011, 07:43 AM
Post #6

yes, in stockholm there's an auction open to the public either annually or somewhat more often. though i can't find a link at the moment. they do the same for cars/vehicles too.
+
Stickeroo
post 8.Jun.2011, 07:47 AM
Post #7

Be careful with Blocket...a girl I know bought a bike on there and had it parked outside her place. She came out one day to find the REAL owner and some cops waiting for her. Needless to say the other girl proved it was hers and my friend lost the bike and the money she paid. How ghetto do you have to be to steal bikes and sell them on blocket?
+
Rick Methven
post 8.Jun.2011, 08:03 AM
Post #8

A couple of years ago, there where regular bike sales held on a plot of waste ground. The group of guys selling the bikes where all rounded up one day by the police. Turned out they where steeling the bikes parked at the station by students, usually on a Friday evening when they left town for the weekend. By Saturday lunch time they had new 'owners' before the real owner returned Monday morning looking for his bike to take him to Uni. blink.gif

There are a couple of places in the City centre that the Kommun do not permit parking bikes, with notices saying that any bikes left will be removed. As one of these places is close to a bar frequented by students, the ban is ignored and the kommun comes around on a Sunday morning and removes bikes left by students too pissed to ride them home. The Kommun keeps them for 6 months and if not claimed auctions them off. usually what is sold off are rusty crap that the owner was not bothered to re-claim.
+
Yocoair
post 8.Jun.2011, 08:06 AM
Post #9

Biltema has really cheap quality bikes
+
byke
post 8.Jun.2011, 08:14 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Yocoair @ 8.Jun.2011, 09:06 AM) *
Biltema has really cheap bikes

*fixed
+
Yocoair
post 8.Jun.2011, 08:28 AM
Post #11

Not sure what that is supposed to mean...

Mine was brand new, in a box, had to put it together myself, have had it for 8 months ago, no problems with it at all, was a good 1000 kr buy!!!!
+
byke
post 8.Jun.2011, 08:50 AM
Post #12

Generally biltema bikes work, but In regards to quality they are at the very low end of quality due in part because of the very competitive pricing. They work very well for many people, however given the chance, most bikes shops even if they could sell such models wouldn't due to the quality and materials used such as mild steel. Very much like the bikes that you get for free from electrical companies when you buy a fridge or a washing machine.

Biltema bikes serve a purpose, in the same way bic desposable razors serve a purpose.
+
Fishtank
post 8.Jun.2011, 09:25 AM
Post #13

Keep eye on notice boards of SSSB and all the places where there are student apartment.
By July 31, many students leave apartments and sell their stuff cheap.
Sometimes the student apartment companies sell unclaimed bikes sitting in parking lot. At least, they did for few years in kungshamra(near Mörby centrum) student apts area.
+
Rick Methven
post 8.Jun.2011, 09:27 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (byke @ 8.Jun.2011, 09:50 AM) *
Generally biltema bikes work, but In regards to quality they are at the very low end of quality due in part because of the very competitive pricing. They work very well for ma ... (show full quote)

I bought a Biltema bike for my son a few years ago, first bump he went over the wheel buckled, When a friend got on the pannier, the whole thing fell apart - the weld on the back frame broke.

Edit:

He was only 100kg then and the friend was a 60 kg lad
+
byke
post 8.Jun.2011, 10:23 AM
Post #15

One of the main problems with "junk" bikes, is the cost to replace any broken part is very hard to justify.

For instance many junk bikes use terrible hubs, and 1 common problem is the hubs often crack or pit. But the labour cost to replace such a hub and pasts is very high and often puts the customer in a situation in which they mis value what they feel a bike is worth.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN