• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Find out name for a bank account number

- is this possible?

elk200
post 10.Feb.2013, 01:01 AM
Post #1

Hi all,

if I had a bank account number and would like to know the person who owns the account, how/where can I do that?
I figured in Sweden with its numerous publicly available databases this should be a piece of cake...

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 10.Feb.2013, 09:31 AM
Post #2

No it is not possible, whilst there is quite a bit of public data openess, bank data is not public information. The bank secrecy rules prevent any bank giving out information with regards your accounts, or even conversations with them, regardless if you are a customer or not. If they do, they are liable to pay compensation to you. There are exceptions to this with regards providing info to Skatteverket, Kronofogden, the Police etc...

If it helps any You can narrow it down to which office/location the account is held by the sort code part of the account.
+
Essingen
post 10.Feb.2013, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Yes, this was always my understanding as well. But the following extract from the consumer organisation for banking and finance suggests there might occasionally be exceptions to this...

Insättning av pengar på fel konto

Har du satt in pengar på någon annans konto av misstag, exempelvis för att du skrivit fel kontonummer i Internetbanken, ska du kontakta din bank direkt. Banken kan då upplysa dig om vem som fått betalningen så att du kan ta kontakt med mottagaren. Alternativt kan banken hjälpa till med att kontakta den som fått betalningen eller förmedla en kontakt via dennes bank. Banken kan dock inte hämta tillbaka pengarna, utan du måste själv driva saken mot den som fått pengarna.

Beware therefore, of entering incorrect account numbers as it might be difficult to recover the cash.
+
elina.stene
post 10.Feb.2013, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Don't be ridiculous you fool.
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Feb.2013, 08:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (elk200 @ 10.Feb.2013, 01:01 AM) *
Hi all,if I had a bank account number and would like to know the person who owns the account, how/where can I do that?I figured in Sweden with its numerous publicly available ... (show full quote)

If you have internet banking, you can do it by adding a new payment company, enter the account number and click on hamta nya motagera
The name of the bank account holder will show up.
(Aplogise for miss spelling as I do do have a Swedish keyboard on my Tablet)
+
Essingen
post 10.Feb.2013, 09:17 PM
Post #6

If you have internet banking, you can do it by adding a new payment company, enter the account number and click on hamta nya motagera
The name of the bank account holder will show up.

Doesn't that only work for companies though? I certainly haven't found that it works for private individuals.

Don't be ridiculous you fool.

What a terrific contribution to the thread. About at the same level as your other 10 contributions. Why not just save the effort of your fingers?
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Feb.2013, 10:07 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Essingen @ 10.Feb.2013, 09:17 PM) *
Doesn't that only work for companies though? I certainly haven't found that it works for private individuals. What a terrific contribution to the thread. About at the ... (show full quote)

It works for private accounts with major banks
+
Yorkshireman
post 10.Feb.2013, 10:20 PM
Post #8

Are You sure you are not refering to Bankgirot numbers? Those you can check the holder of, but you cannot get to see what actual Bank Accounts they transfer to.

As far as I remember if you transfer-to/or-pay-into the wrong Bank Account nr. you are supposed to contact the bank, and they will check who owns it and sort it out ...bank secrecy rules apply to naming account holders.
+
oddsock
post 10.Feb.2013, 11:37 PM
Post #9

I once made a typo when sending money to family. Money ended up in another account.

Bank said that they would send a letter to the person who received the money and kindly ask them to return it to my account. That's all they could do. Luckily the person who accidentally received the money turned out to be an honest person.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 11.Feb.2013, 12:01 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 10.Feb.2013, 11:07 PM) *
It works for private accounts with major banks

No, it only works for BankGiro/PlusGiro accounts. Private bank accounts are not possible the find the owners for due to bank secrecy.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 11.Feb.2013, 12:03 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (oddsock @ 11.Feb.2013, 12:37 AM) *
I once made a typo when sending money to family. Money ended up in another account.Bank said that they would send a letter to the person who received the money and kindly ask ... (show full quote)

Yes, they first ask the person to return the money, but if that's not possible you still have the law on your side. However, in that case you need to file a police report before the bank can give out any information about the customer.
+
Essingen
post 11.Feb.2013, 12:16 PM
Post #12

Sees as if this happens quite a bit...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...l#axzz2KaWiBkyF
+
oddsock
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:33 AM
Post #13

Yeah, back in the day you would have to fill in the name and account number of the person you were sending the money to. The bank would only process it if the name and number matched. But they don't bother with that anymore. Part of banks cutting back on customer service.

So you can fill in "Mickey Mouse" for the name of the account for all they care, they will still process it. They only look at the number.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply