• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Losing ones citizenship

Passport problems

Keithc
post 16.Jan.2010, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Back in the early 90's my wife took out her Canadian citizenship and consequently lost her Swedish! The rules have since changed, Sweden now allow dual citizenship.
My question is have any Brits out their lost their British passport by taking out Swedish citizenship, and since the rules changed have any applied for dual citizenship?
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 16.Jan.2010, 09:03 PM
Post #2

Thats weird I have had dual citizenship since the 80's (UK / Sweden)
+
Puffin
post 16.Jan.2010, 10:43 PM
Post #3

How did you manange that when Sweden first permitted dual citizenship for people over 18 with the Citizenship Act 2001?
+
byke
post 16.Jan.2010, 10:57 PM
Post #4

To be honest I have no clue.
My father is swedish / my mother English.

I was born in the UK, and even came to live in sweden as a nipper (circa 1975) for a couple years and even got dog tags sent through the post (I know this as my mum still talks about this today at how angry she was).

I spent most of my years growing up in the uk (from 2 onwards) and when I was 17 years old I attended college and the swedish government even phoned them up to see when I would be available for military service? (I have no idea what that was about, but was informed by the school secretary that I my college had been contacted by swedish authorities)

I spoke to my wife also and she had a boyfriend back in the early 90s who also held both a swedish and canadian passport as his father was canadian (his farther also held both passports swe/can)

So I have no idea what the deal was pre 2001 regarding dual citizenship
+
Kaethar
post 16.Jan.2010, 11:45 PM
Post #5

Well that explains it of course. They couldn't do anything about citizenships you had a birthright to. But if you naturalised elsewhere before 2001 you lost your Swedish citizenship. The same was true if you became a naturalised Swedish citizen (although exceptions were made to some refugees and their children).
+
Greg in Canada
post 17.Jan.2010, 01:08 AM
Post #6

Some countries recognize dual citizenship while others do not. I believe Canada recognizes dual citizenship. I'd check into the Swedish policies on this, If she was born there I'd doubt that Sweden would deny her citizenship, but then I could be wrong?
+
Alohart
post 17.Jan.2010, 04:10 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Greg in Canada @ 17.Jan.2010, 02:08 AM) *
I'd check into the Swedish policies on this, If she was born there I'd doubt that Sweden would deny her citizenship, but then I could be wrong?

Sweden has a special category for those who lost their Swedish citizenship by becoming a citizen of another country prior to 2001. By residing in Sweden for just 2 years, these people can regain their lost Swedish citizenship unlike all others who must reside in Sweden longer.
+
openCV
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:52 AM
Post #8

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but this is the situation i've been searching everywhere for... I want to regain my swedish citizenship as i was born in boras and moved to Canada when i was 5, i'm now 26 and want to come home. I have applied for a 2 years masters program and was wondering if a student residence permit would count as "residing" in Sweden for 2 years???

Thanks so much for your time =)

Kalle
+
Ned Smitty
post 16.Jan.2013, 12:02 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (byke @ 16.Jan.2010, 11:57 PM) *
I was born in the UK, and even came to live in sweden as a nipper (circa 1975) for a couple years and even got dog tags sent through the post (I know this as my mum still talk ... (show full quote)

I didn't think the dog tags had anything to do with being a citizen. I got mine in 1997 once I had a personal number long before I was a swedish citizen.

God knows where they are now...
+
bri-z
post 16.Jan.2013, 12:42 PM
Post #10

Just wondered what are the advantages/Disadvantages of UK/Swedish dual citizenship ?
I was born in the UK, with a swedish wife.
+
Yorkshireman
post 16.Jan.2013, 01:11 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (openCV @ 16.Jan.2013, 03:52 AM) *
I have applied for a 2 years masters program and was wondering if a student residence permit would count as "residing" in Sweden for 2 years???

No.

QUOTE (bri-z @ 16.Jan.2013, 12:42 PM) *
Just wondered what are the advantages/Disadvantages of UK/Swedish dual citizenship ?. I was born in the UK, with a swedish wife.

An example disadvantage is that if you are in Sweden and wish to bring in a partner (relationship) from non-EU country then You are treated as a Swedish Citizen, so the easier EU Right of Residence rules for family members do not count, only the tougher Swedish Citizen rules count.
+
oddsock
post 16.Jan.2013, 11:43 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Keithc @ 16.Jan.2010, 07:37 PM) *
Back in the early 90's my wife took out her Canadian citizenship and consequently lost her Swedish!

How ever did they find out about her Canadian citizenship?

Please don't tell me she voluntarily told the Swedish authorities.
+
oddsock
post 16.Jan.2013, 11:46 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (openCV @ 16.Jan.2013, 03:52 AM) *
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but this is the situation i've been searching everywhere for... I want to regain my swedish citizenship as i was born in boras and moved ... (show full quote)

No, student time does not count as residence time.

But I would guess that in your case you would not need any residence time to regain your Swedish citizenship, seeing as you probably easily qualify through your... erm... Swedishness.

Sweden has a special category for those who lost their Swedish citizenship by becoming a citizen of another country prior to 2001.

Seriously? So somebody born in Sweden with Swedish ancestry can't just automatically claim their Swedish citizenship? They have to live in Sweden for a while? That's ridiculous.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Jan.2013, 12:41 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (oddsock @ 17.Jan.2013, 12:46 AM) *
Seriously? So somebody born in Sweden with Swedish ancestry can't just automatically claim their Swedish citizenship? They have to live in Sweden for a while? That's ridiculous.

They can now, but before 2001 dual citizenship was not acknowledged (many if not most countries still do not allow dual citizenship) so if you acquired a new citizenship you lost your Swedish one.
If you gave up your citizenship you have to show that you have sufficient connection to Sweden to regain it.
+
Case officer
post 17.Jan.2013, 12:51 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (oddsock @ 16.Jan.2013, 11:43 PM) *
How ever did they find out about her Canadian citizenship?. Please don't tell me she voluntarily told the Swedish authorities.

To clarify, the Swedish citizenship was revoked automatically if a Swedish citizen became a citizen of another country. A formal decision by a public authority was not necessary.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com