• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Sweden before Sambo decision?

Cannot wait

gia8484
post 27.Jan.2013, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Hi guys! I've recently applied for the sambo permit and I have the interview next week. I read it could take about 3 months for the decision and that I'm not supposed to move to Sweden before. I'm currently in another EU country so I wouldn't need a visa to enter Sweden. Do you think it's possible for me to move there just as a tourist? I don't imagine not being able to be with my boyfriend for 3 months while waiting for the visa. What do you think? I'd like to hear you opinions, please. if anyone was in a similar situation...
Go to the top of the page
+
Megalagom
post 27.Jan.2013, 12:24 PM
Post #2

As temping as it might be to just go regardless of what they advised, is it worth jeopardizing the approval of your visa? Three months seems like a long time, but its a lot shorter than if you inadvertently mess up the process and have to start again, or even worse - get rejected because you didn't listen to the rules. I'm not sure if you "Can" or "Cannot" but think that you "Shouldn't." I wouldn't risk it. It's worth the wait to get it done properly. Long distance is hard but very doable smile.gif Good Luck!

Meg ~Something Swedish ~
+
gia8484
post 27.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Yes, I know you're right. I'm just not sure what they exactly mean. Is it that I'm not allowed to even visit him for a weekend until the decision is made? It's not very clear.
+
Yorkshireman
post 27.Jan.2013, 05:11 PM
Post #4

What they mean is that just applying for a residency permit does not give the right for entry into Sweden. ie. A decision needs to be made first. However, if you can legally enter Sweden already, then that is OK. eg. have a tourist visa, have a passport from a country that allows 90 days tourist time without a visa etc...
+
gia8484
post 27.Jan.2013, 05:32 PM
Post #5

Thanks Yorkshireman, that is what I thought but I was not sure. So since I have a passport from a country that allows 90 days tourist time without a visa and I'm currently living in another shengen country, I think there shouldn't be a problem to go and stay there up to 90 days of course!
I read some time ago in the forum some stories which I cannot find now, so I'd really like to know if anyone has already done this before without any problems. I dont want to risk the permit if I dont think the way with the tourist visa is totally legal.
+
michsimon
post 27.Jan.2013, 06:39 PM
Post #6

I am in the same case as you. I had my interview on January 15th and I ask the same question to a Swedish embassy worker in France and she told me that i could come and visit my boyfriend as much as i want (during 90days within 6 months). As long as i don´t intend to work or settle there before having an answer.

I´m in Sweden for 2 weeks BTW...
+
nyUPP
post 31.Jan.2013, 03:15 AM
Post #7

If i'm able to go to sweden with my 90 day visa, and i was granted a decision while i was there, would i have to fly back to my home country? Or could i just print out the decision and go to the MV located in Arlanda (the sky city office)?
+
Opalnera
post 31.Jan.2013, 08:49 AM
Post #8

They don't even check passports if you travel within the EU so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to visit. The only place they stamp your passport (that I know of) is on the way out from England, but coming into Sweden I can't remember.
+
skogsbo
post 31.Jan.2013, 08:54 AM
Post #9

Not sure where you are or where you've travelled from. But unless you drive from Germany/Denmark, you are very likely to get your passport checked. You will certainly have it looked at travelling between the UK and Sweden, it may well be scanned. Forget all this stamping stuff, that's related to visas etc. and folk who thought it was cool in the 80's. Everything is electronic now. wink.gif

Even if travelling within the EU, if you are a Non EU National then there are different Passport control checks and forms to fill in, when you arrive or travel into another country. It depends on which country you go to and from, related to the Schengen etc.
+
nyUPP
post 31.Jan.2013, 08:24 PM
Post #10

Well im from NY, and when i usually arrive at arlanda it's usually from a connecting flight, so initially my passport gets stamped in oslo or frankfurt, but then when i get on the flight to Stockholm, i just get my baggage and leave. From what i remember there is no passport check there. However, even though i am desperate to come to sweden, i cant fly back to NY if i have to to receive my decision there. My biometrics need to be taken in sweden anyway, and the decision for the visa will be sent via email so that is always accessible in sweden.

Has anyone stayed in sweden if they filled for a visa in their home country and just stayed when a decision was made?
+
michsimon
post 1.Feb.2013, 10:12 AM
Post #11

If you don´t need a visa or have another Schengen country visiting visa /resident permit, you can visit Sweden while waiting for your decision to be made. But you should take your UT card at the embassy where you had the interview.
+
cecilia.cederfjall
post 4.Feb.2013, 02:29 PM
Post #12

I have been living in Sweden 8 months with my au pair visa and we are changing to sambo (haven't sent out application yet)

But I did ask the immigration officer since I'll have to go home for a visit and if I'm able to come to Sweden within 90 days to visit my boyfriend while the decision is made. She looked at my passport, and said "Yes I can come to EU within 3 months since I don't need a visa under 3 months but I'm not allowed to work or anything"
+
atlentis
post 11.Feb.2013, 11:06 AM
Post #13

I'd also dying to know this.

I like most people am now in the middle of the agonizing process of not having any idea when a visa will or will not be granted. I think that is by far the hardest part of it.

My question is this. I'm a U.S. citizen, is there any way I can visit Sweden (for up to 90 days) after interview, while I wait for decision?

I do not have a working permit, nor right of residence in any EU countries. I was thinking perhaps it would be possible to enter Norway, get my passport stamped there, and then cross over?

Is that the same as entering Sweden? Has anyone done this (non EU residents), and did you receive your visa anyways?

I'd really appreciate you input. Thanks in advance!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com