• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Can we talk about the word 'slams'?

I love The local, but ...

hipersons1
post 5.Feb.2015, 01:04 PM
Post #1

In the past month I think The Local has used the word 'slams' in headlines nearly once a day.*

For me the word wreaks of a news aggregation organisation that is trying too hard to get clicks. Can't we just stick to the news? And passing on the days headlines in a trustworthy way to The Local's readership?

Criticisms
Speaks out against
Complains
Finds fault

*Unofficial, un-researched statistic based on an impression and my own memory.
Go to the top of the page
+
Laurelia
post 5.Feb.2015, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Hopefully criticises rather than criticisms (of course Swedes tend to the American version of English so would possibly be criticizes at which point I'd prefer we stick to slams).
+
Svensksmith
post 5.Feb.2015, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Are you slamming The Local?
+
Eric81
post 5.Feb.2015, 03:53 PM
Post #4

islams? you mean the muslims?
+
ChocOwl
post 5.Feb.2015, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Let's all mull this issue for a bit...
+
Localer
post 5.Feb.2015, 04:36 PM
Post #6

racist racist racist...

sarcasm....
+
Hisingen
post 5.Feb.2015, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Is there someone who actually reads the Local's front news page??

Most of us have gone off it since
1. No comments are allowed.
2. Much has an anti-Swedish slant to it.
3. It uses Google translations.
4. Mostly Americanisms, especially in the banners.
5. The same stuff is served up for weeks on end.
6. Very Stockholm biased.
7. Uses 'expert' journalists who have very little knowledge of Sweden or of Swedish.
8. Frequently has 'The ten most - - " or any suitable number according to the fingers of the journalist.

The front page surpasses the forums, but even that is full of complaints about MV, Skatteverket and so on, and occupied by people who should be using the Internet a bit more on their own behalf instead of wanting everyone else to do their searching for them. Either that or airing their political dissatisfaction with Swedish politics, and telling the Swedes how to run their own country! Even Ollie Gee left, perhaps because he got fed up.

The Local - nowadays hardly worth visiting, yet we do, hoping constantly for a change for the better.
+
hipersons1
post 5.Feb.2015, 10:32 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 5.Feb.2015, 09:01 PM) *
Is there someone who actually reads the Local's front news page??

FWIW, I read it through my RSS reader.
+
Model T Ford
post 5.Feb.2015, 10:54 PM
Post #9

I hadn't noticed the use of the word, and the only one I could find is that Baltic Think Tank slamming Sweden's defenses, so what else is new?

I don't think the Scandinavvian and Baltic states would last a day if Putin decided to do something serious militarily.

But it won't happen - it's just NATO sending in a sub or a plane to keep all the independently-minded on edge about something real happening.

It's just these kinds of stories which should get..er slammed. smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 5.Feb.2015, 11:22 PM
Post #10

I think usage of the word "slam" is a covert message used by in the field agents to verify their identity if captured...you know just like in those old WWII movies.

So when an agent is captured he tells his captors that he really is on their side and to prove it, the word "slam/slammed" appears in an article submitted by "their side to TheLocal ...I think TheLocal is knee deep in covert operations and is only a venue for MTF to use coded messages in so called "inane/insane" ramblings" here...

Yes???
+
Hisingen
post 6.Feb.2015, 11:16 AM
Post #11

Heavens above ! ! ! Please don't tell me that GH has been Model T Ford in disguise all this time - - - - - - - - - - - - -

blink.gif blink.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 6.Feb.2015, 12:56 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 5.Feb.2015, 11:22 PM) *
I think usage of the word "slam" is a covert message used by in the field agents to verify their identity if captured...you know just like in those old WWII movies.S ... (show full quote)

So you are saying that MTF is only playing at being a seriously deranged nutcase that has escaped from the nut house and is in fact the head of combined intelligence who has been on a covert mission for years?
+
hipersons1
post 6.Feb.2015, 02:13 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 5.Feb.2015, 03:20 PM) *
Are you slamming The Local?

You ... I like you.

http://i.imgur.com/DhV9ygt.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Feb.2015, 03:49 PM
Post #14

Gee!!!

Maybe I said too much...hope I didn't blow his cover... blink.gif
+
LLHope
post 6.Feb.2015, 04:24 PM
Post #15

Unfortunately it is part of the disease that infects Swedish journalism. Whenever someone says anything remotely critical of Sweden or Swedish society it becomes slams and other such power words to show how bad Sweden(ish) are... Classic examples are always with regards comments from the EU or UN with regards children or immigrants and integration ... Hopefully Swedes ignore the journalistic tripe headlines and understand that what is missed by the journalists is the comparison with other countries and how bad they are and how much criticism they get compared to Sweden, and they also forget how far ahead of many nations Sweden is (in the bigger picture). Just because Sweden is slammed doesn't mean it needs to change wink.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se