• Sweden's news in English

app_header_v3
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Divorce in Sweden

Need Advise

Sam
post 8.Jun.2016, 07:35 PM
Post #1

HI! All,
Hope you all are having a fantastic summer.

I am a non EU citizen. (From a Asian Country)
I have been married to a Swedish citizen for the past 3 years.
I have lived with him for 2 years in Sweden.
Last year I got my permanent resident permit (with work) which is valid for 5 years.

Beginning of this year my husband divorced me for no reason and the divorce is still under process. (I have read so many reviews and have come across that in Sweden people get married and after 2 years they abandon their wives or husbands). I don't understand why they do this? In my culture marriage is a long time commitment.

There is no proper place in getting guidance how we should go through the proper procedures. If you get a lawyer they will make the maximum out of the situation.

I am covered by the legal aid system. What I understand is that my lawyer gets paid a percentage from the legal aid system for my case. All the time it is me who has to go after the lawyer and he tells me I need listening to the opposite side lawyer and whatever the opposite side lawyer tells I should agree. It is so pathetic however I am so helpless because I have no money to fight this case.

I have been looking for work for the past 2 years and has been so unlucky in finding work. My husband financially supported me for food however I did few odd jobs.

My questions are:-
1. What will happen to my permanent resident permit once the divorce is over?
2. Can my husband or the migration board deport me?
3. If I am granted to stay in Sweden can anyone give me advise how to establish my life all by myself.
4. Once the divorce is over, just to refresh my mind, will it be a problem in travelling to another country for a holiday (if a friend spends on my travel)
5. Will the migration board let me back on my return from the holiday?

I have registered myself with the Arbetsförmedlingen and I am giving a monthly report of jobs which I am applying for.

Also I am attending SFI to learn Swedish once again. (When I first came to Sweden I started to learn Swedish "SFI" however I could not concentrate due to family issues, so I stopped going), after my husband left me I have started going back to SFI. Now my main goal is to master the Swedish language thinking I could get into some kind of work and to start my life from the beginning.

Looking forward in hearing positive replies from you all.

Your sincerely,
Sam

Go to the top of the page
+
Scottish
post 9.Jun.2016, 07:49 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (Sam @ 8.Jun.2016, 08:35 PM) *
HI! All,Hope you all are having a fantastic summer.I am a non EU citizen. (From a Asian Country)I have been married to a Swedish citizen for the past 3 years.I have lived ... (show full quote)

@Sam, sorry to read about your situation. However, it's not something you can force on the other partner if he or she doesn't see marriage the way you do.

Back to your questions:
1. What will happen to my permanent resident permit once the divorce is over?
answer: you permanent resident can't be revoke by MV based on the divorce except it is fraudulently acquired by you -and from you story, it was based on love.

2. Can my husband or the migration board deport me?
Answer: After the divorce process, you husband or the migration board can't deport you provided you conduct yourself in a good manner.

3. If I am granted to stay in Sweden can anyone give me advise how to establish my life all by myself.
Answer: since you have a PUT already and being a lady, I think the best bet is to think deep on what you which to do with your life afterwards. if you intend going for further swedish language studies, keep at it. If you intend working after a while in SFI, start planning on that and talk to the student counselor on this in your SFI. They can best guide you on how to prepare for what lies ahead in terms of securing a good job and requirement as well for it -through practice.

4. Once the divorce is over, just to refresh my mind, will it be a problem in traveling to another country for a holiday (if a friend spends on my travel).
Answer: One the divorce is over, You are free to travel to any country of your choice and you won't be hinder from returning to Sweden by anyone, provided you have a valid resident permit. -in your case a PUT

5. Will the migration board let me back on my return from the holiday?
Yes, since you have a valid resident permit (PUT).

Aside, you should know this before hand,the only negative side to your divorce with migrationsverket is that you can't apply for citizenship yet. Usually, you can apply for citizenship one year after obtaining you PUT, if you are still married or in a sambo relationship to the swedish citizen. In your case, You will have to wait additional 3 years after your obtaining your PUT before you can apply for your swedish citizenship. Outside that, you are just like every of swedish citizen -free to work, live and remarry or being in a relationship with someone else after the divorce process is done. See link of condition that must be met before you apply for swedish citizenship: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...for-adults.html

One other side is having a place to live and how to sustain yourself after your divorce especially since you are still undergoing SFI. You can go to kommum , social service and forsakringskassan for finance assistance. Sweden has a well establish process for that until you are able to stand on your feet again. Remember to take along with you the decision letter you got from migrationsverket whenever you need to go see them.

I hope you find your path in life as you forge ahead with everything. Feel free to get back to me or here if you need more information. There are vast number of people here who will be willing to provide you with the needed information.
+
Sam
post 9.Jun.2016, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Dear Scottish,

Many thanks for your prompt reply in giving me guidance with regard to my situation.
You have explained to me everything step by step. I truly thank you for taking your time in writing to me.

Have a wonderful day.

Your sincerely,
Sam

+
Sam
post 10.Jun.2016, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Dear All,

I have few more questions which I am searching answers for.

The day my husband left the apartment he went and submitted the divorce papers to the courts. From that day onwards my husband stopped completely communicating with me. Afterwards the divorce papers were received by me through the post. I had no clue what I should do, so I sent a letter to the courts requesting to grant more time in signing the divorce. Then courts wrote back granting me 6 months’ reconsideration time frame.

I managed to find a lawyer, however not a family lawyer. He said he can help me with the case.
As time went by now I notice that I don’t get proper guidance. This is the reason that I thought of writing to see if anyone knows the proper steps. Now the apartment I live at present is for sale. The apartment was bought by my husband when we were married. I am the guarantor and if something happens to my husband, it would be my responsibility in settling the mortgage.

I am only married to him for 3 years and lived with him for 2 years.

1. How does the divisions of property works?
2. In my case what is the percentage that I will be entitled from the apartment sale?
3. In my situation what are the other assets included? (eg., pension, insurance, etc. from my husband)
4. If so what percentage I am entitled for from the assets?
5. What are the Swedish charges in getting a A4 page translated from Swedish to English?
6. If I am not happy with the settlements given to me by my lawyer would it be advisable to request my lawyer to take this case to courts for a fair justice?
7. Since I am unemployed, I am covered by the legal aid system. I was informed by my lawyer that a 2% will be charged as lawyers’ fees. Does anyone know if there is an addition fee for the lawyer apart from 2%? If so does anyone have a rough idea how much would be lawyers charge?

I am asking advise because I have been getting different answers from time to time from the legal side.

Looking forward in hearing from you all.

Yours sincerely,
Sam
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: