• Sweden's news in English

app_header_v3
  Reply to this topic

SFI as an evening class in Uppsala-does it exist?

For those of us working full time...

Solith
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:13 PM
Post #1

So it's about time I stopped pratting about and got fluent. Swedes at parties are beginning to have that look when I say how long I've been here and can't discuss Proust in their native tongue.

I had a look at the SFI information and it's as clear as mud. As far as I can make out you can only take it if you're unemployed and a new immigrant, but a friend of mine has been here longer than I have and (as she's unemployed) takes classes. The classes are for 4 hours a day minimum and during the day - my boss certainly isn't going to let me skip work for 20 hours a week.

Has anyone taken the classes in the evening? Currently I'm at B1 with folkuniversitetet but I find they seem to be charging more for less as you progress and it's bloody frustrating.
Go to the top of the page
+
Willy
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Surely you're past SFI if you are at level B1 already? SFI is for complete beginners.
+
Solith
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Really? sad.gif

Damnit I thought it had different levels. My friend spends her days discussing literature and culture - I though she was far ahead of me! Maybe it's just that she's used to speaking it.
+
jasondainter
post 28.Jan.2013, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Uppsala do have evening classes for free for SFI, I used to attend they have them twice a week (2.5 hours I believe each)

The entry wasn't that strict when I signed up, getting on the course shouldn't be an issue I would think, they're good classes.

They do accelerate pretty fast, its worth you contacting them though first since I have no idea what B1 entails, but they can point you in the right direction.

Try:

Hermods i Uppsala
Sturegatan 9
SE-753 14 Uppsala
Telefon: +46 (0)8-410 251 36
+
Solith
post 29.Jan.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #5

Thank you, I have contacted them smile.gif
+
Opalnera
post 30.Jan.2013, 09:20 AM
Post #6

B1 is SFI D level. When you go there for the sign up they get you to write a short test and evaluate where you should start. Just be warned the classes start earlier than Folkuniversitet, they go from 17.30-20 but people walk in anywhere between 17.30-18 and leave from 18.40 onwards. The classes are pretty good though, the more you go the more you get out of it.
+
Solith
post 30.Jan.2013, 11:04 AM
Post #7

People just walk in and out? How is that conducive to a learning environment? blink.gif
+
Opalnera
post 30.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #8

In most classrooms the door is at the back. They just go in and sit down quietly it's not really that disruptive. I only have good things to say about SFI in Uppsala since they changed to the Rivstart books. I recently completed it.
+
Solith
post 5.Mar.2013, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Apparently one can complete the SFI D course in a month, even with just evening classes. Hmmm. Any support for this hypothesis?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: