• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish Government Arms scandal cover up

Why is no one held accountable?

byke
post 21.Nov.2012, 09:53 AM
Post #1

I am curious to hear others opinions on this Saudi Arms scandal.
Why do you think that the public are not placing greater pressure on the Swedish government for accountability in regards to this Saudi arms cover up?

And how far up do you think it could go?
As so far its been met with constant denial, and it would appear that such denials are being debunked one by one.
Which could show systematic abuse, against the very people of Sweden.

Given the state of the economy, and now what appears to be the government caught lying and deliberately misleading the nation could we see persons held to account?

And if not, why?
Why do you think Swedes dont push for closer scrutiny of those they elect into power?
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 21.Nov.2012, 10:39 AM
Post #2

I see it as trade, Sweden lost its neutral halo in all but name many years ago. Cameron was grip and grinning his way around the ME less than 2 weeks ago.
Reinfelt and Obama I think have been to Burma, all looking for future trade, without it the west is doomed. You can keep your moral values but it doesn't bring the trade in.
+
Puffin
post 21.Nov.2012, 12:02 PM
Post #3

In many ways the relationship between the arms-trade and politics is much more murky in countries such as the USA where directors of arms-companies become Ministers and directly benefit their former employers
+
byke
post 21.Nov.2012, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Other countries are not the issue though.

This clearly violates the trust and opinion of the people.
And its the people who decide who should be in charge of a country, so the politicians need to serve those who put them into power.

If there has been widespread deception and lies, then why are we seeing the same persons still in power?

This is a simple scenario of the government not working for the people.
Just the attempt to cover up this whole scandal is a clear sign of politicians knowing it goes against their employers (the nation) views.

Makes you question the role and value of a democracy.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 21.Nov.2012, 12:30 PM
Post #5

My guess is that the people just don't give a shit about this issue. The whole affair was constructed by the media, trying their best to create moral panic, but the average Joe just doesn't care about this, so when media lost interest the affair simply died out.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Nov.2012, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Perhaps most Swedes don't think they have been tricked, they just don't care about this issue. It's hardly the end of the world, it was done to benefit Swedish trade,etc.
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Nov.2012, 01:22 PM
Post #7

What scandal? It is only a scandal in the media, looking to create a story and certain small political parties that have nothing better to do that seem to think it is a scandal!

Sweden had no ban on weapons exports to Saudi, so where is the scandal? ...Oh!, do you mean the fact that they tried to keep it secret ... well, I can tell You matey, I have signed more Non-Disclosure Agreements that make certain business facts/plans secret, both as a representative of My company and Personal, than I care to remember! It isn't surprising that a deal like this is kept secret.

WHat is surprising is that they didn't go through a 2nd country wink.gif Swedish tradition is to do sensitive weapons related deals via alternative countries so they are not directly linked to the deal biggrin.gif
+
skogsbo
post 21.Nov.2012, 01:30 PM
Post #8

Even when big deals like this fall through, there is often an exchange of money and a 'no bad mouth' agreement signed, so the rest of the world is none the wiser a sensitive contract was even in the offing.
+
sometimesinsweden
post 21.Nov.2012, 03:36 PM
Post #9

The most common way for Western arms producers (and their governments supporting them) to sell arms to less desirable countries, is to sell directly and legally to Iran, who then pass them on as 'aid' to Gaza, who then sell to anyone without the formal restrictions we have. Everyone taking a cut in the process. Been done like this for well over 30 years now. That's why it's relatively common to see Swedish Truppmina-12s in African and Middle East conflicts, despite Swedish politicians continuously signing conventions against claymore-style mines in the past 20 years.
+
byke
post 21.Nov.2012, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Its a very strange mentality in Sweden.

We can see scandals of far right loony political parties having to fire staff for using racist language or scandal. But if a government knows and actively looks to break its own rules and subsequently bury and hide its actions. And lie to the public , its just an overblown media scandal.

I obviously have my priorities wrong.
As political support to the wrong team is a bigger crime than a total cover up.

Makes you wonder, is Saudi Arabia really as bad as often reported on.
Especially since the Swedish government would appear to be on a similar level.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com