• Sweden's news in English
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Lockig For family lawyer

Urgent help

post 3.Oct.2012, 12:05 PM
Post #1
Joined: 3.Oct.2012

I'm ended up in very bad situation , which I just moved to Sweden 4 months ago I'm married to the Danish citizen guy and we have daughter together 13 months old. I got beaten by my husband a week ago and I called the police , the police took my husband away for couple hours but I left the house too bcz of my husband is violence ..I've been contacted with The Socials which they told me they will help me out for safety place but with another things like divorce and visa I have to talk to the lawyer which I just moved here I don't have home insurance that's will cover to my case and I can't afford to pay for the lawyer to deal with my case too.. So what I'm looking on here is there any free help from any department ? That's I should contact ?

Anyone can give me any advice ??

Best regard
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Oct.2012, 12:15 PM
Post #2
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

You are in a very difficult situation given that your residence permit is based at the moment on being married to your violent husband and you have been in Sweden for less than the 2 years that gives you an automatic right to stay - so get as much advice as you can

The Swedish Association of Women's shelters may be able to give you some advice and tell you whether you are entitled to legal aid/räätshjälp - perhaps they can even point you to a local lawyer

You could look to see in one of the Swedish Bar Associations lawyer schemes are near you - they give 15 minutes of free advice and tell you how you can go further with your case

This company claims to give an intial free consultation
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Oct.2012, 12:34 PM
Post #3
Joined: 27.Jul.2008

You can also take contact with brottsofferjouren who will be able to provide information and some degree of assistance:


Information brochure in English: http://www.boj.se/boj/ung/uploads/file/Fol...ms-of-crime.pdf

Depending on the severity of the crime and how it is classified by the Police, it may be possible to request for the Police to provide a lawyer for you, for assistance with the criminal case.

If not, and since Social are assisting with emergency accomodation and assistance, you should be able to request that they provide assistance for the consultation fee that is required to be paid before being eligible for legal aid.

BOJ should be able to provide information on this. I would also discuss with them the information (or lack thereof) provided by the Police.
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Oct.2012, 02:38 PM
Post #4
Joined: 3.Oct.2012

Thank you so much for informations
Go to the top of the page
post 4.Oct.2012, 08:45 PM
Post #5
Joined: 22.Nov.2011

@OP, if You meet a lawyer for a free 15 minute consultation, the 1st question You need to ask is if the Swedish Court has jurisdiction to process your divorce. You have not been in the country long enough for them to be able to do that, and your partner is a Danish Citizen, how long has He been here in Sweden?

Was your permit based upon relationship with a non-Swedish citizen in Sweden? or EU Right of Residence for family member? It can make a slight difference. Especially since he is a Danish citizen, maybe he leaves

The other thing You need to understand, is that if the Swedish Court can process the divorce, then it will most likely be able to determine custody of the child, where the initial norm is 50/50. Abuse by a partner does not remove their right to custody, there is case law where abusive partners have actually been given 100% custody!!! If You cannot agree custody with your partner, the court will look to the interest of the child, abuse towards you is not abuse towards the child ... unless you can prove to a reasonable extent that the child would be in danger also!
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Jul.2015, 05:57 PM
Post #6
Joined: 24.Jul.2015

Hey Mellada ,i am in similar situation as you were , can you guide me what you did whome you contacted and did you get any help ?
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at: