• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Estrella Chips Fail

Get your geography right.

beefbroff
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:07 AM
Post #1

You all know Estrella Chips right? Well I just noticed today that on the back of their packets they have a nice story about the Irish guy 'Joe Murphy' who was sick of salt flavored crisps, so he came up with 'cheese and onion' and 'salt and vinegar' flavour. The story is then backed up with a big picture of the Union Jack.
What a bunch of dumb asses hey? Not one to get political but imagine a storry about a famous Swede with a Danish flag representing it. Incompetent buggers.
Go to the top of the page
+
beefbroff
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Doh!
+
Schomberg
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:32 AM
Post #3

Maybe Joe was from Antrim?
+
beefbroff
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:39 AM
Post #4

He started his business in Dublin.
+
Schomberg
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:45 AM
Post #5

Aye, my point was: No one cares.

No Surrender wink.gif
+
Céitinn
post 13.Jan.2013, 11:23 AM
Post #6

Maybe it was when Ireland was part of the UK before independence? In 1801, Ireland became a part of the United Kingdom so maybe it is a fail on your part?
+
Gordy
post 13.Jan.2013, 11:48 AM
Post #7

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries...ud-Murphy.html#
ph34r.gif
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 12:24 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Céitinn @ 13.Jan.2013, 11:23 AM) *
Maybe it was when Ireland was part of the UK before independence? In 1801, Ireland became a part of the United Kingdom so maybe it is a fail on your part?

No, Tayto cheese and onion was developed in the 1950s, in the Republic of Ireland.

It's amazing how smug Northern Europeans often make fun of the Americans for not knowing the difference between the Dutch and the Danish, but the same Europeans don't even know the difference between the UK and Ireland.
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 12:27 PM
Post #9

I think there is a similar problem with a Greek on the tubs of Turkish yoghurt.
+
Svensksmith
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:02 PM
Post #10

Yeah and Ronald McDonald does not look Scottish at all.
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:11 PM
Post #11

I know some people have difficulty distinguishing reality from fiction, but Ronald McDonald is a fictional character, while Joe Murphy is not.
+
beefbroff
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:51 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (oddsock @ 13.Jan.2013, 12:24 PM) *
No, Tayto cheese and onion was developed in the 1950s, in the Republic of Ireland.It's amazing how smug Northern Europeans often make fun of the Americans for not knowing ... (show full quote)

Yeah, that's what I am trying to point out too.
In the story on the pack it even says (in Swedish) 'It was the Irish Joe Spud Murphy who came up with the first flavored crisps' Then that have a picture of the Union Jack with some vinegar in front of it.
Ok maybe some of you don't care but I thought it was worth a mention considering Estrella are like the Walkers of Sweden and one would think they would have spotted this and thought about it first.
+
Willy
post 13.Jan.2013, 02:21 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (beefbroff @ 13.Jan.2013, 01:07 AM) *
What a bunch of dumb asses hey? Not one to get political but imagine a storry about a famous Swede with a Danish flag representing it.

But I thought "Scandanavia" was a country...? Honestly, we are so used to such misconceptions that most people would just have laughed.

But sure, the Union Jack in an Irish context ought to somehow have rung a bell.

QUOTE (oddsock @ 13.Jan.2013, 12:24 PM) *
It's amazing how smug Northern Europeans often make fun of the Americans for not knowing the difference between the Dutch and the Danish, but the same Europeans don't ... (show full quote)

And then you want to be all nice and say "the British Isles" instead of "the UK" (or even "England") in order to explicitly include Ireland, only to find out that that term in particular pisses the Irish off. Since I can't say "Atlantic Archipelago" with a straight face, it's back to "the UK", ignoring Ireland altogether.
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM
Post #14

I see, you want to including Ireland without mentioning the word "Ireland." That's going to be difficult.

There are two main islands. Britain and Ireland. It's really not that difficult to say.

Understand that for Irish people, being told that Ireland is in the "British Isles" is like telling Dutch and Belgian people that they are in "Lower Germania."
+
Schomberg
post 13.Jan.2013, 10:32 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (oddsock @ 13.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM) *
There are two main islands. Britain and Ireland. It's really not that difficult to say.

And there re two countries on the island of Ireland. Not really that difficult. One being British.

QUOTE (oddsock @ 13.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM) *
Understand that for Irish people, being told that Ireland is in the "British Isles" is like telling Dutch and Belgian people that they are in "Lower Germania."

It really isn't. You fenians come up with the funniest stuff.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply