• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

How to find out the length of the housing queues

How to get the best chance of first hand contract

tuborgian
post 15.Oct.2012, 09:08 PM
Post #1

I have registered with Boplats goteborg and you need to specify which areas you want to get a flat. It'd be really helpful to know the length of the queues in each area. For example, I'd love to live in Olskroken, but am not going to put my name down if the length of the queue is 10 years. Does anyone know how to find out this information?

Also, in Gothenburg, if the landlord is private they don't have to stick to the queue system. Does this happen often? Lastly, does anyone have any tips on how to get the best chance of getting a first hand contract in gothenburg?
Go to the top of the page
+
philios33
post 3.Feb.2013, 01:53 AM
Post #2

Late reply I know.

I think each kommun hosts a different website so I may be wrong with what I say now.

The one I use doesn't seem to care about what you choose in your details section, just gives you a point for each day you are in the queue for. You can be interested in up to 3 properties at once. When you register interest it will display your rank among the other interested people after a day or so. So there are not necessarily wait times for particular areas, but on average I guess higher demand areas are going to require longer. Been in the queue for 2 years (750pts) and still around the 100 - 120 mark for the kinds of flats we would like.

I really hate the queueing system. It doesn't work simply because you don't need to be looking to be in the queue. They should try to flush people out that are just in the queue to rack up points. People just sign up their kids when they're 16 whether they're looking or not. I heard somewhere that the average wait is about 11 years now, which is ridiculous!
+
Beavis
post 3.Feb.2013, 10:37 AM
Post #3

private aparts should start coming online tomorrow Id say, the queuing system is a massive failure (although any red party plonker will deny it) must be the hardest country in the world to get accomodation
+
wendist
post 3.Feb.2013, 11:27 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (philios33 @ 3.Feb.2013, 12:53 AM) *
I really hate the queueing system. It doesn't work simply because you don't need to be looking to be in the queue. They should try to flush people out that are just in ... (show full quote)

But that is not how the system works is it?
If you turn an offer, for a vacant apartement, down the offer is given to the one next in line. You can have a thousand people, that all turn the offer down, ahead of you and you will still get your apartement,right?
+
wendist
post 3.Feb.2013, 11:28 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Beavis @ 3.Feb.2013, 09:37 AM) *
private aparts should start coming online tomorrow Id say, the queuing system is a massive failure (although any red party plonker will deny it) must be the hardest country in ... (show full quote)

Why blame the queuing system when the real culprit is insufficient supply? The cueues and the rent control are there to give as many as possible a fair chance of aquiring a good home.

We could go the other way I guess and remove all restrictions and then the lucky few rich enough to be able to pay the rent will see their queue-time go from 11 years to zero while everybody else will see their time go from 11 years to eternity because they will never be able to afford it.

I don´t see that as an improvement of the situation, not for the vast majority of swedes at least.
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.Feb.2013, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Stockholm has a queue system, but Gothenburg does not. In Gothenburg the landlords decide whom they will offer apartments to regardless of queue time.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 4.Feb.2013, 12:48 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (wendist @ 4.Feb.2013, 12:28 AM) *
Why blame the queuing system when the real culprit is insufficient supply? The cueues and the rent control are there to give as many as possible a fair chance of aquiring a go ... (show full quote)

The queuing system is only a result of demand exceeding supply. However, the reason why supply is lower than demand is because of decades of difficult planning laws and rent control. It is simply not profitable for housing companies to build rental flats when it takes years of planning, is expensive to build, and rents are regulated to be artificially low. Instead, every sane housing company builds BRFs, for which they can get a reasonable return of capital. The result of years of rent control is thus that the only functioning market today is made of BRFs.
+
Beavis
post 4.Feb.2013, 12:52 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (wendist @ 4.Feb.2013, 12:28 AM) *
Why blame the queuing system when the real culprit is insufficient supply? The cueues and the rent control are there to give as many as possible a fair chance of aquiring a go ... (show full quote)

thats red party brain washing!! check any other city in the world, they dont have the problems the queing system causes. you can go to any estate agent and within a week or two you have a place to live!! no waiting years and such nonsesnse. Whats happening is these people that waited 10 years to get a plce are not ´going to let it go... so you end up with thousands of dogily sublet apartments, or apartments laying vacant. the queue system is a MASSIVE failure and anyone who cant see that need to go to de-brainwashing!!!
+
Yorkshireman
post 4.Feb.2013, 08:21 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Beavis @ 4.Feb.2013, 12:52 AM) *
thats red party brain washing!! Whats happening is these people that waited 10 years to get a plce are not ´going to let it go... so you end up with thousands of dogi ... (show full quote)

Red party thinking! biggrin.gif ...in Stockholm over the last 10->15 years the so called queue failure is that the policy was to sell-off rental aprtments to the tenants, creating the BRFs. The rental stock has reduced significantly, when around 65% of previously rented apartments are now converted to BRFs ...not really red party type policies. With only a few new buildings per year for renting, and a fast increasing population, of-course there will be issues.

In Gothenburg it is slightly different where there is still a significant level of rented accomodation available ...if more of those were to be sold off You will find that they will need to implement some kind of queue ...since rent controls prevent it from being market driven.

The alternative to a queue system would be to let market prices, income and credit worthiness (ie. will you be a good tenant) become the driver and the landlords decide who gets the contract ...New arrivals will have greater difficulty finding rented accomodation at a reasonable price simply because they have no history in Sweden compared to others here for a while... and let's not forget the other comments around this forum about how it is hard to get a job with foreign name ...what do you think will happen with rented accomodation???

Be careful what You wish for ...it might just happen! unsure.gif
+
wendist
post 4.Feb.2013, 09:51 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 3.Feb.2013, 11:48 PM) *
The queuing system is only a result of demand exceeding supply. However, the reason why supply is lower than demand is because of decades of difficult planning laws and rent c ... (show full quote)

But we did manage to build 90000 apartements a year in the 1960s and 1970s. As late as 1990 we still produced more apartements than the european average. And this with rent control and queue systems in place. Now we are down to a measly 20000 a year!

But this requires active government intervention something we can not expect from the current government.

Insufficient finacial incentive isn´t the only problem though, in many areas enviromental concerns, a desire to protect historically important buildings and local opinion makes it impossible for politicians to allow any new production.

Welcome to the beautiful new sweden with increased rent levels, in popular areas possibly by 100%, but still no improved housing market.
+
wendist
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:04 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 4.Feb.2013, 07:21 AM) *
Red party thinking! ...in Stockholm over the last 10->15 years the so called queue failure is that the policy was to sell-off rental aprtments to the tenants, creating ... (show full quote)

I agree 100% biggrin.gif

Sometimes I wonder just how wealthy most of the posters on this site really are, if they will actually be able to take advantage of the new opportunities. Today everybody keep telling us how difficult it is to find a place in Stockholm all because of the “idiotic” swedish system. Three years from now this site will be full of people complaining about how impossible it is to find a place to live because of high costs.

I would be LMAO if it wasn´t such a serious matter.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 4.Feb.2013, 03:54 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 4.Feb.2013, 09:21 AM) *
Red party thinking! ...in Stockholm over the last 10->15 years the so called queue failure is that the policy was to sell-off rental aprtments to the tenants, creating ... (show full quote)

The problem of finding rentals was as big 20 years ago. I present you with this gem from 1990: http://nojesguiden.se/artiklar/kofeber-bos...ekvationen-1990
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply