• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

SFI Bonus woes

Decision Class for SFI Bonus

zoni13
post 17.Jan.2013, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Hej,

I just recently finished sfi kurs D within four months of starting the course ( I started with kurs C, cleared Nivå test and took nationellt prov for D in November 2012). I worked extra hard in finishing the course this soon like studying throughout the day, watching Swedish TV and reading Swedish newspaper and magazines. The reason being, I had only 6 months left in completing the 15 months duration of being registered in the kommun and I wanted the bonus badly.
After finishing the kurs D with Godkänd, I applied for SFI-Bonus. To my disappointment, however, I am denied of any bonus since I have a residence and work permit (Decision class CG).
I have only two points here and I would like to ask you smart people out there if there is any solution:
1. I am a housewife, I have work permit only because my husband has it and when I requested to join him in Sweden I was naturally given one. I contacted the Migrationsverket but they say work visa is given automatically to wives joining their husbands who are on work visa here and there is really no other choice,
2. Even though I have work visa it is of no use to me since I am a Pharmacist and in order to start working as one I have to learn the language and take an exam related to my field in Swedish language at the end of it. This whole process take about 2 years or even more. And to be honest there are not many medical related jobs out there for English speaking people or people with basic Swedish knowledge.

I asked the case officer in my kommun (Huddinge), if I can contest this in the Administrative Court but she said many have tried in the past to no avail. This is the law and going to court will not effect the rejection.
Is there anything I can do before finally giving up? I am disappointed because I worked extremely hard, it is a good thing that I know another language now but I wouldn't mind having a little token of appreciation rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
organic225
post 17.Jan.2013, 04:10 PM
Post #2

It would appear that if your Decision Class is not eligible for the SFI bonus, then there is nothing you can do to get it.

Alas, your hard work was not for naught, as you now have a much better grasp on the language. That is worth more than any monetary bonus you may have received.
+
skogsbo
post 17.Jan.2013, 04:34 PM
Post #3

I think the system is designed around the fact that educated EU and other western migrants come to Sweden motivated and educated to a sufficient level, that enables them to get on quickly, learn swedish and 'eventually' find work. The bonuses are there for those that don't fit in the above category and are costing the Swedish state loads in benefits etc. it is an extra carrot to get them learning Swedish, then into a job and off benefits.

You are not the target of the bonus carrot ! but, your efforts prove how fast you can do it, so you should just push on further now and then you'll have that job here too.
+
Fernandis
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (zoni13 @ 17.Jan.2013, 04:38 PM) *
Hej,I just recently finished sfi kurs D within four months of starting the course ( I started with kurs C, cleared Nivå test and took nationellt prov for D in November 2012). ... (show full quote)

this incentive was mainly introduced for those who are refugees/asylum seeker or without work permit so that they could quickly learn Language and get into job market. You came here based on your husband visa status, Sweden doesn't care if you work or not and also you already have work visa...now Swedes want you to go out and find job wink.gif

I also know couple of colleagues who applied and even tried their best at different forums, but they got rejected.

unfortunately, this is how Sweden treats its educated immigrants...they feel no value of their efforts!
+
marieantoinette
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:26 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 17.Jan.2013, 04:34 PM) *
I think the system is designed around the fact that educated EU and other western migrants come to Sweden motivated and educated to a sufficient level, that enables them to ge ... (show full quote)

This is a slightly offensive assumption with regard to those who come just as educated and capable and yet on eligible visa classes. The bonus is there to motivate people who are there on visas that imply a permanent stay in Sweden (refugees, family members to residents and citizens) to test out quickly, regardless of what their background is. Being a spouse to a worker on a work permit does not imply a permanent stay in Sweden and therefore comes with a limited set of rights. The main problem here is that someone misinformed the OP regarding her eligibility for this in the first place.
+
gplusa
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:27 PM
Post #6

No value for their efforts ? Give me a break. You got a free frickin education. Totally taxpayer funded, Didn't cost a krona. Try finding that in another country. And then you expect to be paid for the privilage as well, as some kind of right ? How taking a moment to be grateful for the expense free asistance you received from the State ? This whole bonus bitching really pisses me off. No wonder immigrants get viewed in a poor light.
+
zoni13
post 17.Jan.2013, 06:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 17.Jan.2013, 04:34 PM) *
You are not the target of the bonus carrot ! but, your efforts prove how fast you can do it.

You made not getting the bonus fun biggrin.gif
+
zoni13
post 17.Jan.2013, 06:30 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (marieantoinette @ 17.Jan.2013, 05:26 PM) *
The main problem here is that someone misinformed the OP regarding her eligibility for this in the first place.

I agree with that, when I started the whole thing I thought I am eligible. I went to the komvux Huddinge office, showed my skaterverket papers and visa but they never mentioned I wasn't eligible. They rather encouraged me to finish the course as soon as possible.
The decision letter from Migrationsverket only showed "X" as my decision class and when I contacted them, they said X is for anonymity and they cannot give the beslutklass paper. I had to request them thrice to send me that and even then I was told I should apply to see what my kommun decides.
+
zoni13
post 17.Jan.2013, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Do you guys know of someone who actually contested it in a court? Although I have absolutely no intention of doing that but I would like to know what happens if you do go to the court.
+
Case officer
post 17.Jan.2013, 07:40 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (zoni13 @ 17.Jan.2013, 06:30 PM) *
The decision letter from Migrationsverket only showed "X" as my decision class and when I contacted them, they said X is for anonymity and they cannot give the beslu ... (show full quote)

"X" is for extension of your previous permit. List of eligible decision classes:

http://www.skolverket.se/polopoly_fs/1.169...ta%20120302.pdf
+
Fernandis
post 17.Jan.2013, 09:48 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (zoni13 @ 17.Jan.2013, 07:34 PM) *
Do you guys know of someone who actually contested it in a court? Although I have absolutely no intention of doing that but I would like to know what happens if you do go to the court.

In case if you go to the court, and there komvux makes it clear that ppl like you with work-permit and dependent on husband are not eligible according to this scheme which is valid for all other ppl too, the Komvux even can ask you to pay for the total cost that they spent on this case wink.gif and you'll end up paying SEK 30000 while not getting SEK 10k wink.gif don't play with Swedes!
+
skogsbo
post 18.Jan.2013, 09:35 AM
Post #12

This is a slightly offensive assumption with regard to those who come just as educated and capable and yet on eligible visa classes. The main problem here is that someone misi ... (show full quote)

Not offensive, you need to see the scheme for what it is, what it was designed for and it's limitations, everyone's letter comes from migration has a code on it, nearly all literature about the bonus and most SFI staff iäve heard talk about it, state or stated that your entitlement to this bonus, depends entirely on the code.

If you are here temporarily, then logic would dictate you are probably not entitled to something that is more applicable to those who are here permanently, especially those who for whatever reason are displaced from their homeland and are extremely unlikely to return. So the bonus is the bigger carrot to get them intergrated, if it actually works that way is a different argument all together!
+
Yorkshireman
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:18 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Fernandis @ 17.Jan.2013, 05:21 PM) *
this incentive was mainly introduced for those who are refugees/asylum seeker or without work permit so that they could quickly learn Language and get into job market.

It is designed for those that have a chance of learning Swedish and have permits for settlement (eg. asylum, relationships etc) to help them integrate and find jobs. One clear reason for the incentive was to help women that came on relationship visas, to ensure that they could be quicker less dependant upon the partner they are with ...unfortunately there is a growing amount of abusive relationships in that area, and the women are trapped by the dependance. In addition to trying to work at solving the large unemployment within immigrant groups sad.gif

It doesn't really benefit many groups of refugees/asylum seekers, there are a very large number of those that cannot read or write, let alone hope to learn Swedish via SFI program.

Work, Study permits etc... are not for settlement, they are temporary. EU citizens using the Right to Reside can only stay in Sweden beyond 3 months if they are employed, supported or have sufficient own funds ...IE. They do not need an incentive to integrate and generate an income, technically they already have a means to survive already. Nothing to do with Education level!

The main problem here is that someone misinformed the OP regarding her eligibility for this in the first place.

&
QUOTE (zoni13 @ 17.Jan.2013, 06:30 PM) *
... but they never mentioned I wasn't eligible.

The issue isn't whether they DIDN'T mention eligibility, but whether you asked if You were eligible and then their response to that question. It is more reasonable that they expect You to have read about SFI and the Bonus program, and ask questions. Did You? Did You ask if you were eligible and did they say Yes?

QUOTE (zoni13 @ 17.Jan.2013, 06:34 PM) *

The rules are clearly posted, including which classes of permits qualify. Your permit does not qualify according to the rules. There is actually no case to take to court!
+
Puffin
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:35 AM
Post #14

It is disappointing to find out that you are not eligible to get free money to go along with your free education but if you are not eligible then you are not eligible - The information on who is eligible (and that most types of EU permit are not) are clearly available in mulitple languages (check out Skolverkets website)

So spending 10's (perhaps 100s) of thousands to go to court is ridiculous. Remember Sweden has no compensation culture and awards are low so even if you won (which I doubt) you would certainly spend more in lawer/court costs than an entire bonus.

However you need really to consider what you have written - do you really mean that you only worked hard to get money? Really?

Do you not have any future career goals? By finishing the basic level (remember SFI is primary school level) in a reasonable time then you have certainly improved your study/job/earning prospects and the fact that you will finish your studies earlier and be able to work for (perhaps) 20-30K/kr per month will easily outweigh a few piddly thousands in bonus - so be proud of your achievement and move on. What do do plan to do?
+
marieantoinette
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:39 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 18.Jan.2013, 09:35 AM) *
Not offensive, you need to see the scheme for what it is, what it was designed for and it's limitations, everyone's letter comes from migration has a code on it, nearl ... (show full quote)

Your first post sounded as if you were telling the OP that the main reason she is not getting the bonus is that Sweden doesn't want to give anything to educated immigrants, which is a common thread around here. Whereas it is perfectly obvious that she was not eligible for this because her status in Sweden is not that of an "immigrant" but of a person on a temporary stay. I understand that she may want to stay indefinitely, but her current status doesn't signal that to the authorities and clearly doesn't make her eligible for integration measures.

The idea alone that she wants to contest this in court sounds outrageous to me. Why stop with the SFI bonus, she could try to legally request every single governmental subsidy in existence, given that her main reason seems to be "Well, some other people are getting it, and no one told me that I can't".
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se