• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Gothenburg in Lonely Planet top cities to visit

Pity there's no flights!

skogsbo
post 15.Jan.2013, 08:47 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (byke @ 15.Jan.2013, 12:44 PM) *
Do they offer reserved seats on that train?In the past, I found that even travelling first class is also often full.Its not an X2 is it? - I am talking about the same train th ... (show full quote)

I've never really considered this, we just head north from CPH, perhaps the booked/open seating hasn't triggered in my head, because we've always got a seat. It is sometimes quite full, especially over the bridge, but beyond that it always thins out quickly.

Sometimes 1st class is very cheap and the free (sometime naff) coffee, more than makes up the cost difference anyway.

QUOTE (oddsock @ 15.Jan.2013, 06:49 PM) *
Yes, you can reserve seats on the Öresundtåg. You then have the power to kick whoever is sitting in your reserved seat number out of their seat.Another alternative is to tak ... (show full quote)

Yeah, despite less stops, both trains must run at a similar track speed, as their overall times vary little.

QUOTE (Hamsterdam @ 15.Jan.2013, 08:33 PM) *
If you fly via Copenhagen then get off the plane and stay there. Gothenburg is nice but it's no Copenhagen.

smile.gif

Either way I've flown from both Glasgow airports, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Stanstead, Heathrow and Manchester at various stages to most Swedish airports, I would still rank going via CPH as a viable route. The fact that trolley distance from the train to baggage check is minimal, is an incentive alone when travelling with kids. Plus they have a great kids play zone. We spent 8hrs stuck beyond passport control, with 2 kids, whilst flying with Ryan Air from GBG and won't do that again. Even if things go wrong, you can always rebook the next train, over the phone from the UK, once you know you are delayed, or if mega delayed, just get over the bridge and hotel it in Malmo (much cheaper than CPH area).
Go to the top of the page
+
oddsock
post 15.Jan.2013, 11:24 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Willy @ 15.Jan.2013, 07:56 PM) *
Currently, there is no SJ service on the West Coast Line, only the Öresund trains (Öresundståg). I travel with the latter regularly, although on the South Main Line towards ... (show full quote)

SJ goes from Malmö to Göteborg, but via Hässleholm. Takes similar amount of time (perhaps 15-20 mins less actually), but the train is much more comfortable.

Also handy if you miss the train from CPH to Göteborg... just take the next train to Malmö and see what earlier options there are from there.

When the tunnel is finished and they have upgraded the entire west coast line, the SJ trains from Malmö to GBG will be quite quick.
+
Willy
post 16.Jan.2013, 01:47 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (oddsock @ 15.Jan.2013, 11:24 PM) *
SJ goes from Malmö to Göteborg, but via Hässleholm. Takes similar amount of time (perhaps 15-20 mins less actually), but the train is much more comfortable.

No they don't anymore. If you don't believe me, try finding one here

http://tidtabell.resplus.se/tidtabell/100_tag100.pdf

or at sj.se.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Jan.2013, 04:02 AM
Post #19

SJ cancelled the route last year since it was not profitable.
+
byke
post 25.Jan.2013, 10:54 AM
Post #20

Birmingham to GBG is opening up I read.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php...eg&region=2
+
staycold
post 16.Feb.2013, 10:54 PM
Post #21

Hey,

I'm originally from Stoke on Trent so not far away from Manchester, the best and cheapest (important for me at the minute tongue.gif) is flying from Stansted to city airport, you can get flights for 129kr each way and if you drop on offer time you can get them without paying for online check in or taxes.

It is lengthy journey but if you book in advance you can get the fast virgin pendelino train to euston, takes just over 2hrs, then the coach to Stansted.

As there are no direct flights you could be waiting round in an airport all day anyway, this probably takes the same or if not slightly less time and can be a fraction of the price if you book early.

But yes I hope someone does add more direct routes soon because it's becoming a pain!
+
Hisingen
post 17.Feb.2013, 12:53 AM
Post #22

Visit Gothenburg ? ? ?
Only if you have a well-filled wallet. And maybe if you come from the Australian Ticket system manufacturer and can decypher the payment system on the rusty new Italian trams or the buses that might be running with faulty door seals. Parking is scarce and expensive, building work makes many areas almost no-go areas. The airports are a distance outside the city, and travel to and from them is being made more complex and expensive.
Once upon a time there were regular ferries from the UK - Wilson Line, Svenska LLoyd, Tor Line and latterly DFDS, but all are now history I am even surprised the Ryan Air still flies in. But then O'Leary must find some who want to use his airline to visit Sweden.
It was perhaps worth a visit once, but nowadays Göteborg is a city in decline I fear. The heart has been torn out of the city, and there has been no replacement.
+
HenryPollard
post 17.Feb.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #23

I understand that if you've lived there, the decline of the city since the 90s has been massive.

But to the tourist, it's still a fantastic little city with great nightlife, nice architecture, welcoming natives and plenty of parks.
I know that in a few decades, it won't be an attractive place- with the Nordstan area slowly joining the city's no-go areas. I choose to enjoy the place while it lasts.
+
Hisingen
post 17.Feb.2013, 08:27 PM
Post #24

You quote the decline from the 90's. I was meaning from the 70's. Too much of the city's character has been demolished and replaced by - well nothing that will go down in history. So much of the new stuff is just ordinary at best and downright pathetic at least. I like to remember the city as it was, not what it has become - just another big town.
+
intrepidfox
post 18.Feb.2013, 07:07 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 17.Feb.2013, 12:53 AM) *
Visit Gothenburg ? ? ?Only if you have a well-filled wallet. And maybe if you come from the Australian Ticket system manufacturer and can decypher the payment system on the ru ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 17.Feb.2013, 08:27 PM) *
You quote the decline from the 90's. I was meaning from the 70's. Too much of the city's character has been demolished and replaced by - well nothing that will go ... (show full quote)

100% correct

QUOTE (HenryPollard @ 17.Feb.2013, 03:59 PM) *
But to the tourist, it's still a fantastic little city with great nightlife, nice architecture, welcoming natives and plenty of parks. I know that in a few decades, it won ... (show full quote)

Henry i hope you you are joking. Göteborg is a dump for tourists. One visit is enough for anybody. What is there? Liseberg and Avenue which cost a fortune or Femmanhuset. During the summer it´s a massive building site.

Going back to the review that Lonely Planet did. Did anybody know that the Kommun (Göteborg & Co) sponsored their luxury trip!
+
HenryPollard
post 19.Feb.2013, 04:28 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 18.Feb.2013, 06:07 PM) *
100% correctHenry i hope you you are joking. Göteborg is a dump for tourists. One visit is enough for anybody. What is there? Liseberg and Avenue which cost a fortune or Femm ... (show full quote)

Tourists who return to GBG tend to stay away from Liseberg and Avenyn. The real heart of the city is Järntorget.

Andra Långgatan is a big attraction for the younger crowd. This part of the city's bar/club scene is akin to what Berlin was in the 90s. If you're under 30 and can afford it, I can scarcely think of a better place to be in Northern Europe.
The New York Times agrees http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/trave...goteborg-t.html

For a city of its size, it has an great range of museums and art galleries and also, you can't deny that the surrounding nature is quite picturesque. The archipelago on a summer's day is damn near heavenly.

As I've admitted above, the bad areas of the city are increasing rapidly and I know it's in the nature of this forum to moan about everything Swedish, but it's still largely a pleasant place to be.

I've introduced 5 friends to Sweden in recent times, all of them have since returned to Gothenburg, often ignoring the stuffier atmosphere of Sthlm.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se