• Sweden's news in English
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Sambo Residence Permit

Just the piece of paper?

post 27.Nov.2012, 02:46 PM
Post #1
Joined: 7.Apr.2012

I have a basic question about the Sambo residence permit. I received an email a while back saying I was approved. The email also contained an attachment with a document from Migrationsverket. Is that the official residence permit? Do they not put anything into my passport?

Also, when entering the Schengen area, should I show the respective customs agent this letter from Migrationsverket in addition to my passport? Are they supposed to stamp the passport the way they normally do if one is on a tourist visa?

Any clarification would be most helpful. Thank you!
Go to the top of the page
post 27.Nov.2012, 03:10 PM
Post #2
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

They have done away with the sticker in passport so now you must get ID Card with biometrics. If you are from a county that a visa is not required to enter Sweden you may get card here. Otherwise you must get card before entering Sweden. See Migrationsverket.
Go to the top of the page
post 27.Nov.2012, 05:13 PM
Post #3
Joined: 15.Oct.2012

You need an ID card! didn't you have uoyr fingerprint taken in ambassy ? you should call your embassy to see if they have your card. from what i understood in this nice forum , people ay it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get it.

Please do you mind saying if you applied online or through the swedih ambassy? And if it's online, when did you send your application?

Well congratulation for the good news
Go to the top of the page
post 28.Nov.2012, 10:30 AM
Post #4
Joined: 14.May.2011

If you live near DC you can go to the embassy and do your biometrics there. Otherwise you can wait until you come to Sweden, go to Migrationsverket when you get here, do your biometrics there and you will receive your residence permit card in 2-3 weeks. After you receive that you head towards Skatteverket and apply for a personnummer. Its quite difficult to function without one. Once you receive that you can register for SFI. Lycka till!
Go to the top of the page
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:52 PM
Post #5
Joined: 7.Apr.2012

Thanks for this information. The representative at the New York Consulate also told me I could do my biometrics once I arrived in Sweden. I believe the office in Gothenburg will be the closest to me. According to the list on this link, it appears that there are several Migration Board offices in Gothenburg (http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/31_en.html). Should I go to the one called "Permit Unit" to get my biometrics? I've tried calling the phone number but they're always busy and tell me to call later.
Go to the top of the page
post 10.Dec.2012, 04:40 PM
Post #6
Location: Stockholm
Joined: 24.May.2011

Yes usually to the Permit Unit. Just show up one morning after you arrive there.

I don't think you can make appointments.

Don't worry about it, it is a very straightforward and simple thing, you might have a queue but the process only takes about 5mins.
Go to the top of the page
post 11.Dec.2012, 02:27 AM
Post #7
Joined: 7.Apr.2012

Great, thank you for the info!
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options