• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

British passport help (child) renewal

I hate the UK passport process.

byke
post 24.Nov.2012, 08:56 PM
Post #1

OK, So I am having to update the kids passports.
All hold UK passports and this is just a renewal as such.

Anyway, on the form for kids (called a C2) at the end of the form I have to sign and say all is above board and any porkies will get me into trouble, fine ... no problem there.

The issue I have is the signature box are (see pic)
I must not go outside the box, fully understood (as it invalidates the form)
But below it it says I have to specify if I am the father or mother (no problem)

But where do I specify this ?
Inside the box with the signature or outside the box?
Stupid question I know ... but it doesnt specify this.

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 24.Nov.2012, 09:48 PM
Post #2

Just sign "Father" and if they ask you just claim that this is your legal signature smile.gif

I wonder what they mean by "Father#". Can a child have many fathers?
+
byke
post 24.Nov.2012, 10:28 PM
Post #3

It's odd, I know.

But they also require a photocopy of my passport to prove my signature ... That's going to be a tough one.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 25.Nov.2012, 04:14 AM
Post #4

But aren't you allowed to change signature anytime you wish? It is hardly anything written in stone.
+
byke
post 25.Nov.2012, 07:41 AM
Post #5

Change yes, but when it comes to thinks like passports.
They require proof with reference.

So if I was to follow this idea of signing it "father" I could find it doesn't match my other documents in terms of signature which I have to include.

And I suspect it would require me to re-apply my own passport in regards to such a radical change in signature first, before I could then apply for my children's renewal.

And even then they could turn around and state that I hadn't stated what relation I was to the child unless its signed "father father" which may also turn out to be in the wrong area.
+
Puffin
post 25.Nov.2012, 09:57 AM
Post #6

Do you not sign and then put the relationship under?

ie

Byke
(father)
+
byke
post 26.Nov.2012, 09:43 AM
Post #7

Small Update :
I phoned the UK passport office, to ask.

They refused to help, as the C2 form is for citizens who are currently outside the UK.
And was told I have to contact the British embassy in Stockholm.

I phoned the British Embassy in Stockholm, and they told me they don't handle such questions and that I would need to contact Dussledorf passport section (who process British passports for Brits outside Britain). And they gave me the number to the office which for some reason is in the UK.

So I just phoned the Dusseldorf number, located in the UK, 0044 2080824723.
And it would appear that said section is now processed by what I believe is a private company.
It turns out that to ask any question, one has to pay 72p per minute + costs of international call and have to have a credit card handy to pay for said question?

I cant say I was very impressed.
And decided to try alternative ways.

It does make you question the rationality of a system, and its offset costs like embassies in Sweden. When they do ever less to serve their citizens.

Don't get me wrong, the person I spoke to at the embassy was charming.
But it did very little to assist me on an issue which would appear to be a discrepancy caused by a poorly worded legal document. And given the fact that the passports have been outsourced to Germany, one has to question to what degree they serve the public. And if such mistakes could be a money maker for them.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 26.Nov.2012, 10:33 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (byke @ 26.Nov.2012, 10:43 AM) *
It does make you question the rationality of a system, and its offset costs like embassies in Sweden. When they do ever less to serve their citizens.

That is because you are under the erroneous assumption that the main purpose of embassies is to help expats; it has never been their purpose.
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Nov.2012, 10:59 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (byke @ 26.Nov.2012, 09:43 AM) *
I phoned the British Embassy in Stockholm, and they told me they don't handle such questions and that I would need to contact Dussledorf passport section (who process Brit ... (show full quote)

The Embassy did serve You. You were told they do not handle such questions, and told you who could. @Byke has been served. It is unreasonable to expect everyone to know everything. If You needed emergency travel documents, then the embassy in Stockholm will help You 24x7 to arrange them, though they prefer not too much during the night and weekends wink.gif

Personally, I have always had excellent service from the Embassy both private and business related. smile.gif

...Your ever running issues/moans/gripes whether it be terms and conditions for bottles and cans, failure of judicial systems, or just general distaste for Sweden and it's way of life ...has 1 common factor ...You!

Try waking up with a smile on Your face! You might get surprised! Life ain't that bad, really.
wink.gif
+
chazza
post 26.Nov.2012, 11:04 AM
Post #10

So are you saying that you find it impossible to sign within the box and print father underneath your signature ?

You spend the day making phone calls to complain about this ?

Is there no end to your pathetic whingeing ?
+
160kph
post 26.Nov.2012, 11:18 AM
Post #11

Surely it's better to make sure what they want now, rather then find out 6 weeks later that the passport request has been turned down because he didn't fill the box in correctly and have to do it all again.

I know from experience that a passport renewal can be incredibly frustrating.
+
Pursuivant
post 26.Nov.2012, 11:58 AM
Post #12

I thought you'd circle the option of father/mother.

And the # refers to the Completion notes which has a definition of "father" according to the paternity law in the UK
+
byke
post 26.Nov.2012, 12:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (chazza @ 26.Nov.2012, 11:04 AM) *
So are you saying that you find it impossible to sign within the box and print father underneath your signature ?You spend the day making phone calls to complain about this ? ... (show full quote)

Thank you for your divine input.
Its still up for debate whether or not the placement identifying the role of the parent should be stated inside or outside the box. But given the warning that any wrong placement would invalidate said form, one must not be hasty in their application as there is a strong chance of rejection.

May I ask, have you ever had the pleasure of needing to apply for a British passport?
Or was the whole point of your post, in part due to pent up anger and an excuse to attempt to use more snide comments.

Had you read the post properly, I made no reference to "making phone calls to complain about this"
In fact I made such phone calls in an attempt to seek an answer.
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Nov.2012, 01:17 PM
Post #14

@Byke, The only thing that should go in the box is Your signature, and make sure it doesn't touch the edges, as they scan it. Then write underneath the box clearly Your relationship to the child.
+
Snood
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:37 AM
Post #15

It looks like you should put only your signature in the box then write the relationship somewhere under the date. That really isn't designed very well at all, why isn't there an answer line given? ambiguous and confusing.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com