• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Why are the Swedes so dumb?

Texting whilst driving now legal

Garry Jones
post 22.Dec.2012, 08:08 PM
Post #1

An absolutely mental decision today. Effing crazy.

Who are the government kidding?

Not only do they allow the use of mobile phones whilst driving they then commission a report to see if texting whilst driving is dangerous. The rest of the world already know the answer. The question is as easy to answer as "Does radiation kill? or "Can you cross the channel in a boat?".

Not only have traffic shows like Top Gear and Fifth Gear shown how dangerous it is, even The Mythbusters proved it beyond doubt.

But this is not good enough for the plebs in Sweden who carried out the report. They refused to look at the overwhelming evidence and decided it is perfectly okay to text whilst driving!!!!!!!!!!!

!

When the children of these report writers and politicians are killed by texting drivers I will feel sad for the children but hope that their own parents will feel responsible and someone sensible will do them for manslaughter.

Sweden is now the only country in the civilised world to allow phoning and texting whilst driving.

Nobody here can possible agree that its okay text whilst driving? Surely not?
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 22.Dec.2012, 08:15 PM
Post #2

And sexting while driving?
+
Garry Jones
post 22.Dec.2012, 08:45 PM
Post #3

A 2010 experiment with Car and Driver magazine editor Eddie Alterman that took place at a deserted air strip showed that texting while driving had a greater impact on safety than driving drunk. While legally drunk, Alterman's stopping distance from 70 mph increased by 4 feet; by contrast, reading an e-mail added 36 feet, and sending a text added 70 feet.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.asp...umentid=1076338

There are hundreds of links that prove that texting whilst driving makes driving 23 times more dangerours.

Conclusion: Swedes (the lawmakers) are dumb! One must wonder about the people of Sweden who can vote for such politicians and allow this law without a revolt.
Titta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E
+
byke
post 22.Dec.2012, 09:18 PM
Post #4

I agree its a terrible law, and as a citizen I am appalled that the government allows such.
Shame on you Sweden.
+
Seamus Sean
post 22.Dec.2012, 09:42 PM
Post #5

I just saw a TV advert for Halebop, I think, were a car load are traveling along and the driver starts texting and his mate asks him not to do so while driving an the driver pulls over...simple, seems even the phone companies know the dangers of using a phone while driving...but as I found out recently many folk on here don´t want a law banning the dangerous practise brought in...because they read a report blah, blah, blah!
+
Migga
post 22.Dec.2012, 09:51 PM
Post #6

What law and/or report are you talking about? If it`s the report that was reported on TL news site and discussed on this forum a few months ago then I think you are ways off. The report stated that it found that educating drivers would work better then having a ban that noone follows. That`s what the report found, that a ban didn`t work and people would still use phones while driving. It doesn`t make it legal though, it falls under reckless driving. You shouldn`t be so quick to call an entire country`s population dumb. Especially not when it comes to traffic safety considering Sweden has one of the lowest death rates when it comes to traffic related deaths.
+
byke
post 22.Dec.2012, 10:05 PM
Post #7

The idea of legalising such a law, and those who advocate such.
Reminds me of the arguments we are seeing presented by some Americans regarding gun controll.

And then I started thinking, could this be an ethnicity trait?
Imagine if it was mostly middle America that was anti gun controll.
And the many of those who are from such middle America had Swedish origins.

Could this be a situation of same people, different place?
+
Seamus Sean
post 22.Dec.2012, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Well the last time I was here discussing driving and using phones, those that didn´t want a law brought in here in Sweden pointed to reports carried out in the USA of how (some)drivers still use their phones while driving even though it´s banned...well it seems in the USA they shoot little kids dead and that is also against the law and they won´t ban guns, I know we can`t compare, shooting kids to driving and using a phone, same as we can`t compare Sweden to America.

A ban along with a few more adverts like the one I mentioned already would have an effect on the driving practises in Sweden, some times folk just have to hear it from their government before they take notice!
+
Garry Jones
post 22.Dec.2012, 11:06 PM
Post #9

The law I mean is the one announced today.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/sverige/inget-fo...nder-bilkorning

Inget förbud mot sms under bilkörning
”Förbud löser inte problemet” Det blir inget sms-förbud vid bilkörning. Det meddelar regeringen i en skrivelse till riksdagen, uppger SR:s Ekot.

No ban on texting whilst driving:
"Bans solve no problems" - There will be no ban. The goverment told the parliament today according to the Swedish Radio's news service.

Do the rest with Google Translate if you want it and don't understand Swedish.

I found out I had a mutal Facebook friend with the Goverment Minister. I have written to her (the minister) tonight and await her answer.

As drinking whilst driving is less dangerous than texting whilst driving one presume they will now remove the ban on drink-driving. Not!
+
Migga
post 22.Dec.2012, 11:37 PM
Post #10

Thanks for the link. It says that there won`t be a new law because the ban will be implemented under the reckless driving law. So the Swedes aren`t dumb.
+
Hisingen
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:11 AM
Post #11

In another thread I spoke out very strongly against testing or phoning whilst driving. Needless to say I was told that to have a law against it was unnecessary as it was already covered. But my point was that the powers that be siad it was not dangerous. The attached screenshots are from 'Traffic Cops' on Sky, and cover an episode named very appropriately 'Fatal Distraction' in which the young female driver of a car - stationary in a line of traffic on a motorway - was caught between a non-stop 70mph 7-ton lorry and two cars ahead of her. I have the whole programme recorded, and would very múch like to send copies to suitable recipients, if anyone cares to give me some names, because I do feel VERY strongly that by saying it is not that dangerous, the heads of state are sending out the wrong signals.
Take a look at these two stills I made from the TV screen and see if you can tell me the make and model of the poor young girl's car. It is the one immediately in front of the lorry.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Need i add that the driver of the lorry was attempting to text, with his mobile in a clip on the dashboard. And yes, after much ado, he finally admitted to texting and was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:21 AM
Post #12

Would having a law banning the use of mobile phones put greater strain on the police force in regards to having to stop and charge anyone caught doing so?

Whereas this dangerous driving coverage gives greater leeway, and is under the discretion of the police as they see fit?
+
Hisingen
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:27 AM
Post #13

Byke - my point is the message coming down from the top - namely that texting or phoning isn't dangerous, when we know full well that it is.
OK if it can be punished under existing laws then so be it, but as long as those who are in power send out the wrong signals, nobody will give a toss. That is perhaps until something like the scenes I have shown happen on Swedish roads. But why wait until it does - that is my standpoint, and will remain so.
+
Migga
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:55 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 23.Dec.2012, 12:11 AM) *
But my point was that the powers that be said it was not dangerous.

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 23.Dec.2012, 12:27 AM) *
Byke - my point is the message coming down from the top - namely that texting or phoning isn't dangerous, when we know full well that it is.

Here is this myth again that was talked about in the previous thread. Where do you get this idea from? The ones behind the report and the ones in charge aren`t saying that using a phone while driving isn`t dangerous, they are saying that a ban won`t stop people from doing it. It`s obvious they recognize the dangers otherwise they wouldn`t have implement it into an existing law, trying to educate drivers and use researchers to look into the issue.
+
Hisingen
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:11 AM
Post #15

All I see from people on this forum is excuses for the powers that be. You are no less such. I can only hope that you don't get into the position of the late young lady in the car I have shown.

Drive safely - but keep of the bloody phone. An try to be a bit more positive regarding the attitude of not texting or phoning. angry.gif
+

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com