• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Fantasy league development in Stockholm

Looking for programmers (PHP, MYSQL, JAVA & XML)

frank.d
post 22.Dec.2012, 05:28 PM
Post #1

I am currently embarking on an exciting project and looking for people who are interested in it. I plan to develop a proper fantasy football league game in Sweden. Right now I am looking for programmers with knowledge of PHP, MYSQL, JAVA and XML. Since the project concerns football, it would be nice if you have some football interest or have come across fantasy league games.
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #2

PHP ? MYSQL? Java ? XML ? In 2013 ? Seriously ?

Perhaps you need to consider your choices... unsure.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
Yorkshireman
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:30 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (frank.d @ 22.Dec.2012, 05:28 PM) *
I plan to develop a proper fantasy football league game in Sweden. Right now I am looking for programmers with knowledge of PHP, MYSQL, JAVA and XML. Since the project concern ... (show full quote)

Develop in Sweden, or for Sweden? There are many fantasy league games already in existance, are you sure you will not be wasting effort trying to get into a market where those that already exist have substantial resources for marketing their products, plus an already wide user base. And some for example run annual competitions with 50.000:- prizes. What makes your's unique and a crowd puller? (mind you, I wouldnt expect you to say in a public forum wink.gif )
+
frank.d
post 23.Dec.2012, 05:38 PM
Post #4

@pdx, I don't get your point. The languages I mentioned are the languages such a project is developed in. Am sure you know such a project needs a database which is where MYSQL comes in, PHP is the most effective language for programming the rest while the data to run the fantasy league is provided by a football data company in XML format.

I don't know what you expect to be used in 2013.

@Yorkshire, I totally understand your point but I have a crowd puller, none available ought now has all the characteristics of this one. Already speaking to sponsors who would be involved so prizes have already been drawn out. I ve considered fully the amount available but that has always been the case with many successful things. Facebook didn't invent social networking, they came into a relatively saturated market and made it better before taking over.

Like I said earlier though, I understand what you mean and that was the first thing I took into account before deciding to go on with my plan.
+
PDX
post 23.Dec.2012, 07:22 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (frank.d @ 23.Dec.2012, 05:38 PM) *
I don't know what you expect to be used in 2013.

All of the technologies that you mention have been outdated for a numbet of years, for serious development work. Do your research... As far as PHP goes, its shortcomings are described here:

http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a...-of-bad-design/

~~~PDX~~~
+
akibobrob
post 23.Dec.2012, 07:48 PM
Post #6

PDX - To suggest JAVA and XML have been outdated for years is just nonsense. Even PHP and mySQL are perfectly good if used correctly and I've done some good stuff with them for clients who historically use them.

frank.d. I'd love to get involved as I know this stuff and am a big football/football manager fan but unfortunately my full time work will be keeping me a bit busy I'm afraid. But good luck with it and keep us posted!
+
akibobrob
post 23.Dec.2012, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Worth reading some of the comments debunking the PHP article linked to as well

1 example http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4177516
+
frank.d
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (akibobrob @ 23.Dec.2012, 07:48 PM) *
PDX - To suggest JAVA and XML have been outdated for years is just nonsense. Even PHP and mySQL are perfectly good if used correctly and I've done some good stuff with the ... (show full quote)

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. Shame you couldn't be involved, I would keep you posted, who knows, might need to ask some questions.

God JUL!!
+
akibobrob
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:49 PM
Post #9

To be honest, I couldn't think of many things I'd rather work on that a fantasy football site smile.gif

But it's going to be a busy year at work and I'll be away a lot. Plus I live in Dalarna which probably isn't ideal!

Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to have a look at the scope and see if there's anything I may be able to help on. I'd also be interested in giving it a go when you get the the beta stage.

God jul!
+
frank.d
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:55 PM
Post #10

Cheers mate, will definitely PM you.
+
vilho951
post 31.Dec.2012, 01:12 PM
Post #11

this is Interesting ..

But "Devil is in the details"
+
trumanshow
post 31.Dec.2012, 02:38 PM
Post #12

Thats just typical geek ego rearing its rather sad and pathetic head. Many, many, many...and more many websites are being built with php and mysql and its ridiculous to say that java is outdated. There is a huge market for drupal and wordpress websites and what technology are those built on if it isn't php and mysql? Of course there will be people who find flaws, there are always flaws in everything. To get the complete picture on web technologies is way beyond anyone and especially you PDX by the sounds of it. You can find articles on the internet claiming black is white.
+
PDX
post 31.Dec.2012, 05:21 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (trumanshow @ 31.Dec.2012, 02:38 PM) *
Many, many, many...and more many websites are being built with php and mysql and its ridiculous to say that java is outdated.

I am not disputing this at all. I was honestly surprised that one would chose that set of technologies for a heavily interactive website in 2013, when there are much better ones available. That is all rolleyes.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
AW1
post 31.Dec.2012, 05:56 PM
Post #14

Name a couple please?
+
Kibiri
post 31.Dec.2012, 09:18 PM
Post #15

Nowadays, Python and Ruby are the new rising stars of web development.

Non-relational databases (sometimes called No-Sql) are gaining traction, which you should consider if your data are not inherently relational.

JSON is a replacement of XML, and it doesn't suffer the high noise/data ratio problem. But for public data XML is still very popular, so often you don't really have a choice. Though sometimes people forget and make everything XML without thinking.

All being said, business decisions prevail over technical decisions. When I have control I prefer Python over Php because it is superior for my purposes. But that doesn't mean a business should do the same.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com