• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Paying off your student loan (UK)

Has this actually gone smoothly for anyone...?

ljtaylor88
post 1.Mar.2013, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

So, I wrote to the Student Loans Company to tell them I'd moved and was employed, shortly after I'd landed a job here. I actually don't make enough to pay my loan back yet according to their rates, but I thought it best (and easiest) to be honest and keep them in the loop.

I sent them their declaration form for living abroad, a copy of my first payslip and my employment contract. They responded about a month later, telling me I hadn't sent them the "right" information, that I actually needed to send them three months of payslips and a "more specific" copy of my employment contract (i.e. with an annual salary, which I don't currently have as I am employed on an hourly basis). Luckily I now have three months' worth of payslips to copy, but the letter cheerfully notes that I'll get slapped with a £150 fine if I don't respond with 28 days.

My boss is a little concerned that they think I am lying about my employment situation, pretending that I have less employment than I do. I bloody hope not, as this is genuinely all I have!

Has anyone had any dealings with SLC? What were your experiences? Can you recommend a good course of action to make sure they don't keep coming back with "not enough information: send more!" letters
Go to the top of the page
+
Solith
post 1.Mar.2013, 05:33 PM
Post #2

They sent me a form which I filled in. I also sent them my most recent payslip with my translations scribbled all over it and an excel print out of all of my earning for the past few months, but no payslips. They send me a letter back saying "everything is hunky dory but watch out for next year".

And keep copies of everything you send them, just in case.

Edit: I'm salaried, which probably makes things a lot easier.
+
ljtaylor88
post 2.Mar.2013, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Thanks! A spreadsheet sounds like a good idea.

Of course, as with all authorities, I just have to hope my letter winds up in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing and will, you know, actually read it.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se