• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Childcare if your unemployed

Mother of two

bevhayes
post 30.Nov.2012, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Can anyone shed some light on being from the uk, just moved to sweden, don't understand the schooling system and it's requirments. My partner is employed working full time, i'm a mother of two, not working but wanting to place my children in childcare, they are 4 and 18 months old, I understand for the first 15 hours it's free. Can I be unemployed and do this? ie. A stay at home mum caring for my children for the rest of the week. Or do I have to be in part time work/study. I'm being asked to supply a certificate from the Arbetsförmedlingen. Don't understand why? Since I choose not to work at the moment. We could pay for the childcare ourselves if need be.
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 30.Nov.2012, 04:10 PM
Post #2

The right to a place in a Kommun daycare only applies if You are doing something, by that you must be working, unemployed and looking for work, student, or on parent leave etc... Just being at home, counted as doing nothing, does not give you the right to a daycare place.

Some local Kommun's will impose a maximum time allowed if You are unemployed and looking for work, often this is the 15h per week you mentioned.

They need the document from Arbetsförmedlingen as proof that You are registered looking for work, which then entitles You to daycare. But be warned, if You are receiving any unemployment benefits, those hours the child is with You, they will notify your benefit office (a-kassa) that You are not looking for work nor available for work during those hours!
+
sidkth
post 30.Nov.2012, 04:39 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 30.Nov.2012, 04:10 PM) *
or on parent leave

I have been told by Försäkringskassan that I can't take parent leave if my child is in a daycare..
+
Puffin
post 30.Nov.2012, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Subsidised daycare/nursery gives priority to people who are workingmlooking for work or studying - so you may go to the bottom of the pile if you are a SAHM

However your 4 year old is entitled to 15 hours a week during term time in anycase as all children over 3 have this right. However this doesn't cover the 18 month old

Yorkshireman is right if you register as unemployed you will likely be able to access a part time daycare place for 15 hours per week for both children - however you may be required to prove that you are actually seeking work

There are also other options that you could consider
- if you register for Swedish lessons such as SFI you will be entitled to a place
- if you make a "special needs" application that your children need to learn more Swedish this may also help
- you could try taking your children to playgroups called "Öppna förskola" - there is also an English speaking playgroup in Stockholm
http://www.hogalidhedgehogs.com/
+
Puffin
post 30.Nov.2012, 04:47 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (sidkth @ 30.Nov.2012, 04:39 PM) *
I have been told by Försäkringskassan that I can't take parent leave if my child is in a daycare..

You can take parental leave when your child is not in daycare - for the afternoons etc
+
sidkth
post 30.Nov.2012, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Two years ago(and one year later as well), my child got a place even though my wife was not doing any thing, just staying at home, and the daycare time was limited to 15(if I remember correctly) hours per week. but may be because in both cases I am the one who applied for it.
+
Yorkshireman
post 30.Nov.2012, 05:01 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (sidkth @ 30.Nov.2012, 04:39 PM) *

When You are on parent leave with another child, if you have more than 1 child You are entitled to parent leave for 1 and daycare place for the other, or daycare place for both etc...

(my mistake was typing whilst in the middle of a meeting biggrin.gif )
+
Puffin
post 30.Nov.2012, 05:03 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (sidkth @ 30.Nov.2012, 04:49 PM) *
Two years ago(and one year later as well), my child got a place even though my wife was not doing any thing, just staying at home, and the daycare time was limited to 15(if I ... (show full quote)

Some kommuns offer more generous policies that the legislated minimum - for example some kommuns offer the unemployed 20 or even 30 hours per week

Also if you are home on parental leave with a younger baby then you are entitled to 15 hours for the older child
+
sidkth
post 30.Nov.2012, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Thanks Yorkshireman & Buffin for the clarification, now I understand.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se