• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Future prospects after masters in Sweden

Can you plz share your views on Job market?

icecoldmidnight
post 27.Feb.2013, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone,

I have applied for Masters in 'Embedded Electronics Engineering' in Sweden and will be probably getting admission in one of the following universities - Lund, Linkoping, Halmstad or Gavle. Already got direktantagning in Halmstad.
The studies are expensive for sure. So can you tell me if I will be able to secure a job in electronics after my masters. ??
I am a native English speaker, but I look forward to learn necessary Swedish language over the course of next two years.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+
icecoldmidnight
post 27.Feb.2013, 08:50 PM
Post #2

http://www.thelocal.se/44500/20121119/#.US5dLbSPUVY
Is the job market really that bad ? It says the unemployment is rate is higher than average in Europe, and in some cases even the highest !
+
polartwist
post 27.Feb.2013, 08:52 PM
Post #3

Do a search on this forum and type:
"Why is Sweden reluctant to employ its students"

Good luck with your master.
+
polartwist
post 27.Feb.2013, 08:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (icecoldmidnight @ 27.Feb.2013, 08:50 PM) *
http://www.thelocal.se/44500/20121119/#.US5dLbSPUVY. Is the job market really that bad ? It says the unemployment is rate is higher than average in Europe, and in some cases even the highest !

Especially for foreign people the market seems to be off-limits. You must be kick ass, have experience and have some skills that the market needs.
+
skogsbo
post 27.Feb.2013, 09:17 PM
Post #5

you tell us, you picked your qualifications, don't you have a plan, or are you spending your money, then hoping? wink.gif

What is industry demand for it? How many places or people qualifiy per year? Which countries are currently desperate? How broad a field can you work in? Who are the biggest recruiters? How many places did they advertise last year? How many applied? etc. What's company staff turnover like? what's their prospects like in 2,3,10 years...

I presume you've covered the above? You are on a master programme, use your grey matter a bit.

I'm being harsh, but you can't go through life just collecting bits of paper and expect things to happen, you need the right bits of paper in the right country, at the right time.
+
icecoldmidnight
post 27.Feb.2013, 09:17 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (polartwist @ 27.Feb.2013, 08:52 PM) *
Do a search on this forum and type:. "Why is Sweden reluctant to employ its students". Good luck with your master.

I did the search , both in this forum and the news, but couldn't find it. Can you rephrase it, or perhaps give a link. Thnx !
+
polartwist
post 27.Feb.2013, 09:21 PM
Post #7

Hehe, come on... is not so hard to search on a forum smile.gif
Here is the link:
http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...07#.US5qjetC_eQ
+
redblue
post 28.Feb.2013, 02:40 AM
Post #8

The employment rate among engineers is currently 99,2 percent, and if you are successful in your studies you will most certainly have great job prospects in Sweden.
+
Coolrunnings
post 28.Feb.2013, 07:17 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (icecoldmidnight @ 27.Feb.2013, 08:41 PM) *
So can you tell me if I will be able to secure a job in electronics after my masters. ??

You are indeed a very smart lad... let me look into my crystal ball.... rolleyes.gif
+
PDX
post 28.Feb.2013, 10:56 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (icecoldmidnight @ 27.Feb.2013, 09:41 PM) *
So can you tell me if I will be able to secure a job in electronics after my masters. ?? I am a native English speaker, but I look forward to learn necessary Swedish language ... (show full quote)

Disregard the negative answers you have received so far. Embedded system design is a skill that is in very high demand in Sweden and there are plenty of jobs available, for fresh graduates as well as experienced engineers.

Since you are about to start with your studies, I could give you some concrete advice on how to secure a job in the field in the future. I interview people for this kind of positions all the time, so I know what I am talking about.

• First, although your studies are about electronics, you absolutely must take as much courses in programming and software development as possible. No one does plain, "dumb" electronics anymore. Every board has at least a microcontroller, or, increasingly often now, a processor. You don't have to be a guru in software architectures, but you must be comfortable in reading, writing, owning and maintaining code. If you get the chance to learn about overall system design and analysis issues, all the better.
  • Second, make sure to have a portfolio of your work always available. This can be for example a public repository online showing layouts and designs, code and photographs of your work. Student projects are fine but I would ideally want to see 2-3 projects that you did entirely on your own, for your own need.
  • Third, learn Swedish. If you cannot manage to learn enough of the language in 2 years to have a 15 minute comfortable conversion about yourself, then I am going to label you as a lazy ass right away rolleyes.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
Kibiri
post 28.Feb.2013, 03:56 PM
Post #11

I am not electronics but computer engineer. I can confirm in Sweden embedded systems is one of the biggest areas. So, comparatively it has better employment opportunities.

One tip I can give: I saw many students do their thesis project for a company, and then get employed by that company. There are no guarantees of course. It happens that student does great job, and they love him but the company is in downturn and the manager is not allowed to hire, etc. I know some such students that got employed -- incl. international students who didn't really talk Swedish as well. You need to make effort to find this type of company-thesis-project. Some big companies post these just like normal jobs on their website. Sometimes it is through a professor at school.

An annoying problem (probably more so for non-EU students), which some may not realise until too late, is that the recruitment process takes too long in Sweden. Towards the end of your program you are very busy with your thesis, spending your little extra time on job applications, and they take forever to reply, and your visa is running out etc. So it is good to start early.
+
icecoldmidnight
post 4.Apr.2013, 02:17 PM
Post #12

Thanks for all the Replies ! I appreciate.
+
Hisingen
post 4.Apr.2013, 02:43 PM
Post #13

Just remember to use those 'little grey cells', and this forum is not a labour exchange. If you want to look for work, then this is not the place to do it. The Local does not emply many people. You might geta tip or two, but in the end it is entirely up to you.
As said - do a Poirot- - - biggrin.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 4.Apr.2013, 03:39 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (icecoldmidnight @ 27.Feb.2013, 08:41 PM) *
The studies are expensive for sure. So can you tell me if I will be able to secure a job in electronics after my masters. ??

Students sign a declaration that they will leave the country once studies are complete. It is expected that they do so. If your intention is to remain in Sweden after studies, your student permit will be refused. Just in case you didn't know the migration rules wink.gif
+
wondering
post 4.Apr.2013, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Actually I know quite a few students who studied Embedded systems but failed to get jobs. They later on moved to Germany. They later said Germany had better job opportunities and willingness to hire the right candidates regardless of nationality.

While each student as an individual is rated independently and so on have you honestly considered other options like Germany?

When you look at rankings only Lund is good while in my opinion the others are very poorly ranked.

My advice is think carefully before you make your final decision.

Good luck !
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com