• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5   Reply to this topic

Is it really that impossible to find a job?

New in Sweden

Angie13
post 8.Jan.2013, 11:48 AM
Post #61

Yeah..and as i said how can you have an opinion about me when you know nothing about me, my life, my background, my reasons...
I could say that you are all a bunch of jerkes that need to find " easy victyms" on line and say a whole bunch of clueless hurtfull things about them just to feel superior... But i don't say that's my opinion ( yet) first because no one ever asked...and seccond because i don't know any of you or your reasons ... So it's a little bit too early to say anything about any of you...
Go to the top of the page
+
Boar
post 8.Jan.2013, 03:08 PM
Post #62

Hi! I understood your situation clearly now. And, moreover, I do not know much about you.
What I can suggest you is: Atleast you can make a child with blue eyed and take him to your parents and show him. That's the best you can do. It's hard to get a job or do any business here. Time is ticking now. Do you think my suggestion is wrong?
P:S: What I know is, Brazil is a developing country which is in the third world. Actually, there are many developing countries in the third world.
+
Pursuivant
post 8.Jan.2013, 03:13 PM
Post #63

Brazil is a developing country which is in the third world. Actually, there are many developing countries in the third world.

Theres also many countries that aren't developing, so developing is a good thing.
+
Boar
post 8.Jan.2013, 03:32 PM
Post #64

Yeah. That's a good thing though as it is atleast developing. I even want to mention to her that the time to do sun bathing is not possible anymore here. Supposedly, she did all the time in Brazil. Here it's a pity that she has to do snow bathing. Which is not at all funny.
+
jamesblish
post 9.Jan.2013, 02:44 PM
Post #65

I think the best advice is to find work before you move. That's true for moving within the country as well. If you secure a job, move. If not, wait until you do.

You're obviously a highly skilled person and that's never a bad thing, but it might not necessarily be of any value either, depending on what field you're in etc. I've got 7 years of college ed. but I can't find a job at the moment. And finding low-skill jobs is probably even harder than finding something on "your level", since having qualifications only means you're more likely to quit your McD's-type job sooner than an unskilled worker.

And another thing is the type of employment you receive. Having a job is one thing, but unless it's a permanent position, you're pretty strung out anyway. Can't take loans, can't really plan your life, no security really. So that's a factor too.

The job market is extremely tough here, that's just the way it is. A lot of people have degrees so those are not worth as much here as they are in countries where education is not tuition-free. You don't hear people talk about jobs and people in terms of who's better or worse anymore. Anyone with a job is a privileged person these days.
+
Yorkshireman
post 9.Jan.2013, 03:08 PM
Post #66

As mentioned many times, 90% of jobs are via networking ... traditional swedish company organisations are not only based upon qualifications and experience, but within that what also counts a great deal is mutual respect for ability to be in that position ...the basis of the flat organisation.

Just having qualifications, from outside of Swedish, You are already on a minus unless it is from an Internationally recognised Faculty. And having no previous work experience in Sweden also gives You a minus as your references/experience is not easily comparable to Swedish ones.

You can have 10 degrees, a PhD etc... but You will most likely lose out to someone that has either very good working experience and references from employment in Sweden, and/or a Top Degree from a Good Swedish University. Especially if You do not speak Swedish.

As for Management positions, Swedish (Scandinavian) style is different from say US, UK etc... so if You do not understand the employment protection legislation and/or traditional Union agreements with employers ...then don't even bother applying unless there is a definate shortage of people. An incorrect handling of an employee can prove costly not only monetary, but also in the media. for an employer. This also applies if You are posted from outside of Sweden in large corporations, since Unions today know that decisions on staff reductions/closures in Swedish companies are made by Management outside of Sweden ...it is very sensitive, since according to Swedish rules the decision cannot be made before discussing with the Union beforehand. Which is something non-Swedish companies do not always understand.
It's a game!
+
thisplace
post 24.Feb.2013, 05:26 PM
Post #67

DON'T DO IT The risk you will take is way too big. Put another way, there is always a degree of uncertainty when looking for a job. Here in Sweden you magnify this 100 times. You may get a job, but chances are that you won't. If you have other options take those. Come here on a holiday instead. It really is as bad as you have been reading.
+
Max Reaver
post 25.Feb.2013, 12:31 AM
Post #68

If you want a job you need to have good network, which is usually time-consuming to build as a newcomer. I worked at a tech company in mid-south Sweden, getting recruited only based on recommendations from an acquaintance. So basically I had the wrong degree, not that much experience in their most used skills, also I didn't have driving license back then, which was something of a plus for the job. More interestingly, they never posted ads for such jobs openly, they sorted it out internally by asking the staff if they knew someone they think can handle the job. I was lucky being the benefactor, although I occasionally thought about how another very talented guy with the right degree, right skill and driving license should have got the job as a more deserving candidate. So beware that you might be out-competed by less suitable candidates who thrive on connections. Therefore, get connections yourself!

I'd advice you try to form connections with Swedes as well as your fellow countrymen who work at influential positions. They may be much easier to get help from.
+
byke
post 25.Feb.2013, 12:55 AM
Post #69

What it be correct in regarding it to a form of racial based nepotism?
+
Yorkshireman
post 25.Feb.2013, 12:56 AM
Post #70

QUOTE (Max Reaver @ 25.Feb.2013, 12:31 AM) *
So beware that you might be out-competed by less suitable candidates who thrive on connections. Therefore, get connections yourself! I'd advice you try to form connect ... (show full quote)

And by suitability you mean? Obviously the employer has a different opinion than You as to whom they decide is suitable or not!

Approx 80-90% of jobs in Sweden are never advertised, they are filled by other means, sometimes Networking, other times via agencies with the express instruction not to advertise etc... Whilst there are those here that claim nepotism biggrin.gif ...you forget that many companies also run internal recruitment bonus systems, (eg. they pay 40.000 for a recommendation of a person to emply, split by 20.000 on start and 20.000 once they stay 6 or 12 months or more). And one reason some jobs are never advertised is that the company itself does not want it published that they are looking in perticular areas etc... otherwise their competitors can guess what they are planning etc... Many reasons. This is why networking is important, for those positions that are advertised, you are not only competing against known candidates, but also unemployed and employed ...even the employed may want to move jobs ...and especially in a tight economic situation where cost is prime focus, when someone leaves, they don't always replace more often it is wiser to try and merge roles & responsibilities and pressure the existing employees to be more productive wink.gif
+
Max Reaver
post 25.Feb.2013, 01:53 AM
Post #71

Haha I got you all fired Up now eh?

Less suitable as in, if you take the profile of one candidate and compare to the one who got employed, bring it to court or DO (which is not really doing its job), then the employer is most likely to lose. You may disagree, but one example I saw, a biology major got a job at electrical engineering company that involves programming and engineering skill. This guy had very basic level of either. Since his background was this far from the job description, any applicant with an engineering degree could have easily sued the company's ass off.

Anyway, this is a cautionary tale for our OP. I know the system is like this and I don't like it unless I get good things out of it. Therefore I also stressed the importance of networking with some rather extreme case examples of how far you could get when you are on the right side of the game.
+
mnvander
post 28.Feb.2013, 05:19 PM
Post #72

I do echo what other people are saying about the language truly being the key to obtaining a job in Sweden. It takes alot of studying and alot of work, but if you are willing to spend your life here, I imagine it would be worth it. Even if you did work as a waitress, even though it is not specifically on your career path, it really is about getting out there, networking, and socializing to further improve your language skills. You never know who you might meet!

Furthmore, I have heard that networking is one of the main factors in obtaining a job that you actually would want to pursue in Sweden. I am a Registered Nurse working in an internship with older adults until I write my licensing exam. Yes, I was knocked off my pedestal. But in the long run, does working as a waitress or an aid for six months really matter? Any experience in Sweden to put on a resume is helpful, so I have been told. Good luck and I hope that you are happy with whatever decision you make!
+

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options