• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Is Hagalundsgatan (Solna) a safe place to live?

Family safety and security in Hagalundsgatan

deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Hi guys,

Me and my wife are currently living in norbotten and soon will be moving to Stockholm for work. We have been looking for apartments and three that I got options for are located in Hagalundsgatan 40, 41 and 42. What I would like to ask is that what are your views on the Safety and security of this area as I plan to go there for long term. It is just me and my wife living but we have never lived there before. I heard that it is a Ghetto area and might not be as safe such as areas like Hägersten, Liljeholmen etc. What do you guys think?

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 18.Feb.2013, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Yes, it is a bit remote so nothing like Liljeholmen or the inner city. Hagalundsgatan is actually a bit depressing, have a look at it yourself using Google Street View.

On the other hand, it is quite safe there, nothing like some other areas further up north. Moreover, it's a short walk to Hagaparken where the Crown Princess lives in Haga Palace with her husband, so I suppose the whole area is monitored 24/7 rolleyes.gif

Hagaparken is really awesome too, I am amazed every time I get to go there.

~~~PDX~~~
+
deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Hi PDX,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your comment about the place looking a bit depressing. Actually I have been looking into other places as well but haven't found anything interesting yet whereas already have this option in Hagalundsgatan. My main priority is to know that I am moving into a safe part of Stockholm. I know that Stockholm is a quite safe city as I have lived there for some time in Kista and Sundbyberg, but this time I am planning to move in for a long term, therefore just want to know more about this area. Other places I am considering are Lidingö, hägersten, Liljeholmen. Besides Hagalundsgatan seeming depressing, do you think there is anything else I should know about it? Or what do you think about it in comparison with the other places I have mentioned. Thanks!
+
PDX
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:02 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (deadmansmiling @ 18.Feb.2013, 11:57 AM) *
Hi PDX,Besides Hagalundsgatan seeming depressing, do you think there is anything else I should know about it? Or what do you think about it in comparison with the other places ... (show full quote)

The looking depressing is the only negative part I could find. If you've lived in Sundbyberg and Kista then I suppose it is just as safe. The positive ones are: train station nearby, you can be in the city in no time; Princess lives practically next door so there is that; Hagaparken is amazing during any season of the year.

Places like Lidingö are nice to live in of course, but getting from there to the centrum or the other side of the city can be a bit of a nightmare...

~~~PDX~~~
+
deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Okay. Sounds good in that case! Thanks a lot for your opinion. Lets see if I get more opinions on this.
+
wondering
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:22 AM
Post #6

Taxes are lowest in Solna as well.

Just saying. Moved out from Solna to Haninge and bam....they took my money ... sad.gif
+
deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:36 AM
Post #7

yeah I also heard that the taxes in Solna are low. But how was your experience while living there? Did you live in one of the Hagalundsgatan buildings? What did you think about the environment and all? Will appreciate your opinion. Another concern of mine is that the T Bana is bit far from Hagalundsgatan 40,42,41 and the bus route is not optimized so it takes around 20 mins to reach also. But anyhow, that is not the topic of discussion right now so please feel free to say about your experience. Thanks.
+
Jules
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:49 AM
Post #8

Yup its a bit of a ghetto, I live not far from there and have been through the area a number of times both to go shopping when working nearby and to get to Haga Parken. Basically it is what in England would be described as a tower block estate. Its pretty rundown and depressing, communications are ok but not great. As regards the inhabitants its mainly immigrants from what I have seen, some balkan, some african, some muslim, bit of a mix really, but generally rather poor. As to safety I have no real idea, I have never encountered any problems when walking through the area, but then again I am not a pretty blonde walking home alone late at night... Crime is fairly low in Stockholm generally compared to many big cities, but I personally would be a bit wary of the area based just on the fact that it does feel a little desolate and depressing. If I were you I would avoid it but that is just personal gut instinct, not based on any concrete evidence about the place.
+
deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:53 AM
Post #9

Hi Jules,
Thanks for your honest opinion. Really appreciate it! Let's see if someone who has personally lived there for some time to share their opinions also.
+
Jules
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:58 AM
Post #10

You might also want to turn things around and ask yourself why if its so hard to find flats in Stockholm generally, and in the other areas you mentioned specifically, then how come you have been offered at least 3 in this area? It would suggest that other people in your position who know Stockholm better are reluctant to live in that area. Their views maybe based on ignorance and snobbishness, then again maybe not... worth asking yourself why its so easy to find accommodation there though.
+
byke
post 18.Feb.2013, 12:00 PM
Post #11

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article16136242.ab
+
deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 12:36 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Jules @ 18.Feb.2013, 11:58 AM) *
You might also want to turn things around and ask yourself why if its so hard to find flats in Stockholm generally, and in the other areas you mentioned specifically, then how ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (byke @ 18.Feb.2013, 12:00 PM) *

Hi Jules,
The reason I have the option in Solna is more of a coincidence and these offers are not advertised which is why it is hard for me to ask myself "Why only here"? ... But good suggestion anyways smile.gif

Hi Byke,
Thanks for the info. But don't know how often this would happen ... otherwise this could happen anywhere.
+
byke
post 18.Feb.2013, 01:06 PM
Post #13

The link posted was simply the last big news story I could find regarding the area.
See how far the date was from today and judge for yourself.

As others have stated, its a very depressing area and is an area where housing is more readily available due to people not wanting to live their, compared to other parts of Stockholm.
+
PDX
post 18.Feb.2013, 01:17 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (byke @ 18.Feb.2013, 02:06 PM) *
As others have stated, its a very depressing area and is an area where housing is more readily available due to people not wanting to live their, compared to other parts of Stockholm.

Except that Victoria and her boy live next door? rolleyes.gif

But yeah, that particular street is veeery sad indeed..

~~~PDX~~~
+
deadmansmiling
post 18.Feb.2013, 01:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (byke @ 18.Feb.2013, 01:06 PM) *
The link posted was simply the last big news story I could find regarding the area.See how far the date was from today and judge for yourself.As others have stated, its a very ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (PDX @ 18.Feb.2013, 01:17 PM) *
Except that Victoria and her boy live next door? rolleyes.gif . But yeah, that particular street is veeery sad indeed... ~~~PDX~~~

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate your feedback!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com