• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Thanksgiving foods in Västerås

Any ideas?

stephanie921
post 1.Nov.2012, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Anybody have any idea where i can get boxed stuffing or canned cranberry? I live in the västerås area... I know about grays in stockholm but i was hoping to not have to go too far... Just in case anyone else reads this just letting ppl know I foun Libbys pumpkin pie filling and graham cracker crust at Ica Maxi Halla in Västerås.
Go to the top of the page
+
Shibumi
post 2.Nov.2012, 10:58 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (stephanie921 @ 1.Nov.2012, 10:23 PM) *
I know about grays in stockholm but i was hoping to not have to go too far...

If you're referring to the Gray's store on Odengatan, that closed about 5 years ago. Gray's still imports for major grocery stores. I know you can get boxed stuffing and cranberry sauce at Dagliv's at Fridhemsplan. They usually go out of stock in October/November though. I can check what's still in stock as that's my local grocery store.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the canned pumpkin? At Dagliv's, it used to be 89 Kr for the large can (2 pumpkin pies) but it mysteriously (and outrageously) switched to 89 Kr for the small can last year. I was able to get it cheaper at the English Shop.

As for stuffing and cranberry sauce, I make my own... much better! The stuffing is a lot of work, but the cranberry sauce is super easy.
+
Shibumi
post 2.Nov.2012, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Just went to Daglivs. They have a few boxes of Stovetop Turkey stuffing mix for 65 Kr each (=9.77 USD, 6.06 GBP, 7.55 EUR). They have about a dozen cans of Ocean Spray cranberries for 50 Kr each. And loads of single pie cans of Libby's pumpkin for the aforementioned 89 Kr each (13.38 USD, 8.30 GBP, 10.33 EUR). At that price, I doubt they will run out of stock.

Highway robbery! I expect that Gray's will go out of business soon. This is their busiest time of the year and they're not selling.
+
byke
post 2.Nov.2012, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Dont forget, that "Thanksgiving" is often the celebration of a years harvest.
And to reflect on aspects of life that are important (food, friendship, family etc ... )
Where people gather with friends and family to celebrate the good food the land has given.
And since it originally had a more religious theme, alcohol wasn't necessarily in abundance.

This could explain why the situation is what it is in Sweden.

No getting paralytically drunk when having to socialize.
Celebrating a good food harvest.

Its almost similar to rubbing salt in a wound.
Especially given the prices needed to be endured to offer a standard honest meal.

Unless McDonalds offered a McFeast (Thanks giving limited edition) I don't think its going to ever take off in Sweden.
And even then it would have to try and cut costs even more and string it out (like halloween) over a period of time to flog old road, over too long a period.
+
Puffin
post 2.Nov.2012, 04:58 PM
Post #5

I thought that Thanksgiving is a specially American/North American holiday to celebrate surviving the first growing season and bringing home the harvest? Based on the British tradition of harvest festivals

There is also a Swedish tradition of "Skördesfest" a sort of harvest festival but it is not the sort celebrated in the US it is more harvest farmers markets and public events than a family thing - we have it in Dalarna but it tends to be during harvest season in September
http://www.skordefest-dalarna.se/Bilder%202010.html
+
Puffin
post 2.Nov.2012, 05:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (stephanie921 @ 1.Nov.2012, 10:23 PM) *
Anybody have any idea where i can get boxed stuffing or canned cranberry?

Last year in Dalarna ICA Maxi was selling fresh American cranberries throughout November/December - to make cranberry sauce all you need to do is put them in a pan with syltsocker (jam sugar) and perhaps 1 spoon of water and bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes - I did it for Christmas last year and it was very nice

It is also easy to make homemade stuffing

If you want to buy it readymade you can get cranberry sauce and boxed stuffing from the English shop - I was there earlier in the week and they had both - they do mail-order as well
+
Svensksmith
post 2.Nov.2012, 05:32 PM
Post #7

It is primarily a harvest fest but it's also a time to gather as a family and give thanks for the year's blessings.

BTW, if you order the McFeast at Mickey Dees, make sure to get a diet Coke to go along with it.
+
Puffin
post 2.Nov.2012, 05:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 2.Nov.2012, 05:32 PM) *
BTW, if you order the McFeast at Mickey Dees, make sure to get a diet Coke to go along with it.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
+
Kibiri
post 3.Nov.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #9

In Västerås center there are 3 middle eastern shops close to each other at Storagatan. From Hemköp, cross to the other side of storagatan, ignore the small shop, walk 10 meters towards cityringen, there you have the big one. They have lots of stuff that you can't see in ICA etc., though not necessarily the things you looking for smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com