• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

U.S high school drop-out -> move to Sweden?

Can I help my friend get a fresh start in Sweden.

Tektium
post 31.Dec.2012, 02:34 AM
Post #1

I am asking this for a friend.

My parents are Swedish, and I received the Swedish nationality via them, so it was easy for me to move to Sweden 6 years ago at a friends' place, learn Swedish via Comvux, get in a folkhögskola, get a job, get a life. Best decision I ever made.

I have a good friend back in the U.S, his life is going down the drain. He's a high school dropout,19 years old homeless and jobless, with no parents to help, and refusing to go to the social services.

My question is: can I help him move over here, get him in a immigration program of some sort, make him learn Swedish, and get him in a high school that would take a drop-out ? I can give him lodgings, food, I'm even prepared to pay for the plane ticket. I have a solid job, and I live alone, so money is not an issue in this equation. I just want to see if my country can give him a fresh start.

There are so many people who immigrate from all sorts of countries to Sweden successfully, but can a "worthless" high school drop-out from the U.S get a visa here ?
Go to the top of the page
+
Pursuivant
post 31.Dec.2012, 02:51 AM
Post #2

Not unless you're married. So time to go buy a ring.
+
Tektium
post 31.Dec.2012, 03:09 AM
Post #3

I should have specified: not opposite sex. And I'm not trying to game the system either.
+
Case officer
post 31.Dec.2012, 04:39 AM
Post #4

There are three options: relationship/marriage, employment or university studies. The first requires a serious relationship, the second a willing employer, the third admission to an institution of learning.
+
Tektium
post 31.Dec.2012, 05:37 AM
Post #5

Okay. Allright, if that's what it comes down to. Can you think of any employers beside fast food chains, that would take a high school drop-out ?

Same goes for learning institutions ? Any high schools / folkhögskola, known for accepting immigrants with no diplomas ?

What about Comvux for example. I know they are not really a learning institution, but what happens if he takes courses there to learn Swedish ?

Thanks for the answers by the way.
+
johnjohn
post 31.Dec.2012, 05:57 AM
Post #6

Why do you say not fast food chains? It would be next to impossible for your friend to get a job even there. Unless he applies and is excepted to a full time, accredited school of higher education, paid tuition and has 73000SEK in his bank account per year of study he will not get student visa.
+
Puffin
post 31.Dec.2012, 10:54 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Tektium @ 31.Dec.2012, 05:37 AM) *
Okay. Allright, if that's what it comes down to. Can you think of any employers beside fast food chains, that would take a high school drop-out ?

Why would an unskilled 19 year-old who cannot speak the language rule out working in fast food? Need to be realistic here. But in any case fast food places are hard to find work at as they pay reasonable wages in Sweden and also many people work there on government workfare schemes - he would be lucky to get such a job

If he wants to move to Sweden it is a difficult process. He would need an employer willing to sponsor his visa and a job paying more than 13,000SEK/month
There are not a lot of jobs like this for unqualified immigrants that do not speak Swedish

Same goes for learning institutions ? Any high schools / folkhögskola, known for accepting immigrants with no diplomas ?What about Comvux for example. I know they are not really a learning institution, but what happens if he takes courses there to learn Swedish ?

Important to remember that college is not free for US citizens anymore (since the 2011 reform) so he would need to pay any course fees upfront and show Migrationsverket that he has around 75,000 for each year to pay living expenses

Usually visas are not granted for studies that aim to prepare you for either further studies or life in Sweden

So an unemployed US citizen will not get a visa to learn Swedish even if he did have all the money to pay for living expenses and fees - same with the Adult education classes at Komvux
http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/152_en.html

Basically I think it is unlikely that he is just going to be able to move here with no skills and no Swedish
+
CathySky
post 31.Dec.2012, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Am I the only realistic person here?

If you really wanted to help your friend, you would first help him by helping himself. By helping him with his CV and maybe connecting him with people that you may know in the States that will help him there. Don't bring him to a country taht he can neither speak the language and to top it all of, he doesnt have even the basics of education to get through by.

Your friend might end up resenting you for bringing him to a place where he cant fend for himself. Atleast in the States he has the possibility of getting a job in his mother tongue i.e. if he works had for it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping people if I know that there will be a possibility of them being successful but PLEASE don't bring your friend over if all he will do is sit around and scrunge on our taxes!!

My 2p worth of advice!!
+
Svensksmith
post 31.Dec.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #9

It is admirable to want to help out a friend in need, however, if he can't make it back in the States, what makes you think he can make it in a country like Sweden with even higher unemployment and where he can't speak the language? The best thing your buddy can do is to earn his GED and then see if he can't find a job and build some work experience. Plenty of people in worse situations than your friend have made a good life for themselves.
+
Pursuivant
post 31.Dec.2012, 03:09 PM
Post #10

I should have specified: not opposite sex.

So? You live in Sweden, its been legal since 2009?
+
Potentialexpat
post 31.Dec.2012, 06:31 PM
Post #11

Sounds like your friend is a world class fuck up. High School was so easy if he can't complete high school how will he handle the challenges of going to a foreign country? So here are your options.

Also he says rule out working a shitty job when you can't speak the countries language, and aren't a citizen? Wow sounds like a world class fuck up who is also lazy. I honestly have no sympathy for him he was born an American citizen something people are lining up to become. People are illegally coming to this country just to give themselves, and their kids a shot at getting the American Dream.

1 Cheat the system, And make him your husband. (Even then it still takes time to get citizenship, and you need to show you have funds to support him.)

2 Have him get his GED.

3 Tell him he's a fuck up, and cut all ties with him.

4 Have one of your friends in America give him a place to stay until he gets on his feet.

5 Tell him to apply for government assistance like EBT.

6 Have him understand that he has to help himself in the end.
+
Svensksmith
post 1.Jan.2013, 12:04 AM
Post #12

I think that the best thing you can do for your friend is to encourage him and let him know that you care.

The rest is gonna be up to him.
+
Tektium
post 1.Jan.2013, 12:36 AM
Post #13

Than you for the detailed answers everyone.

I would have hoped that some of you wouldn't be so quick to judge, but you are in a way, completely right to point the flaws in my logic.

I know if I had had the chance, there is a possibility I could help him turn his life around, but I can't destroy my life by going to the states myself to help him up, so I thought to ask what my other options were here.

(the "no fast food chains" option is my own addition, as he tried to attempt suicide last time he was working in one of those. There is nothing wrong a fast food related job, there is something wrong with my friend)
(I also did not mean to ignore other ways of life when I said "not opposite sex", it was just badly formulated)

I thank you all for your advice, and will even follow some of it.
+
G Kin
post 1.Jan.2013, 09:53 AM
Post #14

Invite him over here and hook him up with another 19 year old High School drop-out Swede!

But hey, let him keep any guns behind smile.gif.

But if he can't make it in his home land then he should as well be prepared to climb a stiffer hill here.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com