• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Intensive SFI courses

How quick can you learn

madroni
post 17.Jan.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #1

I am about to joint an intensive sfi course in folkuniversitetet but from what i can see they had 6 different levels each one of them costing about £500 and takes 4 weeks to complete, well my question is to anyone who have studied there before that how much Swedish can you learn with in a month and how many levels will it require for one to speak basic Swedish?
Go to the top of the page
+
Kn33grow
post 17.Jan.2013, 01:49 PM
Post #2

You dont need more than 2-3 months to learn the basics and after that you will need to use the language as often as you can and train.

From my experience SFI is a waste of time,kind of a necessary evil. So you will have to do a lot by yourself and pick up new words at every opportunity.

I havent studied SFI at folkuniversitet,but i guess its the same shit as everywhere else.
+
missninja
post 17.Jan.2013, 03:57 PM
Post #3

I have to agree that SFI is very hit and miss. My first teacher was brilliant but my second was a waste of time.

This is why I am now at folkuniversitet. I work full time so I only do the night courses so I can't comment on the intensive courses but the night classes are great. The teachers have all been motivated. A friend who had a not so great teacher asked to change class and he was able to. You are paying for it unlike SFI so you can complain. In the last course that I took I was the only one who spoke so I felt like I got the best value for money, the teacher and I interacted whilst the rest of the class just sat there, half bored and half lost. I will do their second last level starting in March and I hope that I get to run the class again. After your intensive course you should be able to converse, basically introduce yourself, order things, read a kids book, describe where you live and how to get there, basics but important. I really recommend using what you know in local shops and cafes. It helps with the confidence and cements what you learn in class. Practice practice practice. Lycka till
+
Ankinette
post 17.Jan.2013, 10:19 PM
Post #4

At the end of the A2 course at Folkuni (2.5 hours per day for 4 weeks) i was able to order in a cafe, introduce myself, talk (and write) about easy things (food i like, hobbies, describe someone, a room, body parts etc), read a simple text or understand most of it when we listened to it on the cd...
At this level u learn a lot and fast, its very satisfying! But as u said, because of the high cost, i could only do this one course. But it gave me good bases to then start sfi at a higher level (D), where students and teachers are more motivated. Good luck :-)
+
Puffin
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:40 AM
Post #5

I attended a regular SFI with refugees and was only actually on the course for 11-12 weeks before passing. So an intensive course could achieve that in less till

SFI is a very basic level (primary school grades 1-6) so to get to a better level you ned to do SAS grund and SAS gymnasiet levels (up to gymnasiet level 3)

The intensive courses at Universities aim to get you from beginner to SAS gymnasiet 3 in 9 months

However a lot of language learning depends on you as a person and how easy you find it
+
australian_frances
post 18.Jan.2013, 06:21 PM
Post #6

If you have a university education, want to learn quickly and are prepared to work hard, you could study at SFA: http://www.stockholm.se/ForskolaSkola/Sven...-professionals/
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply