• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

'Don't buy violent video games for Christmas'

The Local
post 21.Dec.2012, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Gaming addiction expert Sven Rollenhagen advises parents in Sweden to stay clear of increasingly violent video games as they set off in search of last-minute Christmas presents for their children.

Most Swedes received their December paycheck today but I've been fielding calls from worried parents for weeks now. They all call to ask me if it's okay to succumb to pressure from their kids and buy them video games that are increasingly violent.

I tell them "no" every single time, because I firmly believe that violent video games are a ticking bomb.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
Crowhorse
post 27.Dec.2012, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Here we go again. There is a rating system on the games. Just like in movie they do say an age range. If followed there is no danger in video gaming to your children. Study after study have shown children do not become violent from playing video games. And also have shown a lowering in violence among kids that play game.
+
Janoosen
post 9.Jan.2013, 03:49 PM
Post #3

I'm personally getting really sick of reading articles where video games are blamed for things like this. Why do people blame video games? Because video games are the easiest to blame.
It's not like people who lack empathy or are psychopaths or become murderers just happen to be that way due to real life issues or past experiences right? No, that's preposterous! Let's just blame videos games because they're violent!
"Research says blah blah blah" about 99.9% of research like that is WRONG and purely speculation. Don't take it as facts.
My point is, video games only affect you as much as you LET them affect you. I've played violent video games since I was 9 years old (I'm 23 now) and I don't lack empathy because of that. Anyone who says video games are to blame for things like lack of empathy and whatnot are ignorant and close their eyes to the truth; the fact that humans are capable of things like lack of empathy and murder WITHOUT the influence of violent video games.
I mean they actually blamed games like Dynasty Warriors for the Connecticut shootings. Dynasty Warriors is a game about ancient china where you run around beating up soldiers and officers with melee weapons as legendary soldiers. Yeeeeeeeeah, I don't think so.
Get your heads out of your asses.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options