• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Lofoten islands in Norway

Been there done that, anyone?

futureishere
post 18.May.2012, 12:03 PM
Post #1

My friends and I are planning a visit to Lofoten islands in Norway this summer. If any localers have been there, I would love to have some pointers for accommodation and hiking. Our current plan is to carry tents for camping but stay in cabins if weather turns bad. But looking at the websites for fisherman cabins (rorbuer), it seems that advance booking is recommended. Are there any other options there like STF huts on Swedish hiking trails where they don't turn away hikers? We have booked our travel for June end.

Apart from accommodation, any recommendations for planning our route? We will be there for one week.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 18.May.2012, 01:02 PM
Post #2

been climbing there twice.

Popular climbers camping are below the Gandalf cliff, or at Kalle beach which has a tap and toilet, but it's for the hardy as it's basic and the toilets grim. But there are cleaner public toilets at the main car park at Henningsvaer, but it's quite far from the beach, so eat carefully!

There are proper camping sites at Orsvågvær, Sandvika and Lyngvær all of which are close to the best climbing, which is probably the best or most scenic walking area for you guys. Many of the camp-grounds have wooden camping cabins, that vary from basic (still with fridge and cooking rings) to plush (hot and cold running water plus a TV!). Some have wooden canopies so you can cook in the dry, in case it rains, which it might just.

Both times I went in June and we had quite good stable sunny weather. It is truly awesome when the weather is nice.

At Henningsvaer there is a climbing centre/school which offers accommodation (don't know what it is like), plus beer and meals. Premium price of course, but everything usually is in Norway. On Väröy(island), it's less mountainous than Moskenesöya(another more main island) but on Varoy it's more isolated, remote beach camping or a hostel.

Depending on your numbers and the size of your car, filling it with food, adding a roof box and filling it with more food and beer, is probably cheaper than flying / hiring or busing it there. But, it depends just what your plans are.
+
uduck
post 18.May.2012, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Is it expensive to visit there?
+
skogsbo
post 18.May.2012, 09:17 PM
Post #4

it's like anywhere in Norway, what save for be outside Oslo, you pay for by being remote. But you don't go to Lofoten for a night on the pop, or for fine dining. So if you drive there, with your tent and car full of food, it's as cheap as you can make it!
+
futureishere
post 19.May.2012, 10:13 AM
Post #5

Thanks skogsbo. We will have to fly there as no one in our group can legally drive in EU. Once there, we will rely on public transport to go around. Can one camp anywhere or one has to do that only on allowed camping grounds?
+
skogsbo
post 19.May.2012, 10:59 AM
Post #6

Just like here you can camp anywhere beyond 100m of somebodys home, but you should really be polite and ask first, also consider your toileting too, it's only polite too.
+
John.Smith
post 20.May.2012, 06:15 AM
Post #7

Great place, I took a motorbike trip from Sweden around Norway a few years back and spent 3 days around Lofoten. Be prepared that th weather there is changeable and that it can be splitting the rocks with sunshine one minute and the next th heavens can open.

Public transport is limited there but there are taxis... very very expensive taxis. Look to rent bicycles to get around the place. The roads are small but generally very good. Also biking you will see a lot more of the amazing scenery.
+
futureishere
post 20.May.2012, 03:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 19.May.2012, 11:59 AM) *
Just like here you can camp anywhere beyond 100m of somebodys home, but you should really be polite and ask first, also consider your toileting too, it's only polite too.

Of course. I think we will stick to designated camping grounds so that we can socialize while camping.
+
futureishere
post 20.May.2012, 03:11 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 20.May.2012, 07:15 AM) *
Public transport is limited there but there are taxis... very very expensive taxis. Look to rent bicycles to get around the place. The roads are small but generally very good. ... (show full quote)

Thanks John. Considering the advice I have received so far, I am trying to recruit another friend who can drive so that we can rent a car. smile.gif But if that attempt fails, I will go with bus/bike option.
+
jenkins.ray11
post 21.May.2012, 01:28 PM
Post #10

Sorry futureishere, never been there so wont be of great help to you but there will be someone who could guide you with some tips or links that would be helpful for you.
+
futureishere
post 22.May.2012, 06:31 AM
Post #11

Sarcasm?
+
Shibumi
post 23.May.2012, 12:05 PM
Post #12

My man and I visited Lofoten in August 2010. It is stunningly beautiful... like walking into a postcard. We rented a car and stayed in hotels so I can't help you much on logistics for your type of trip. However, I can tell you that we had the best seafood platter of our entire lives (and we are both over 40) at a hotel restaurant in Svolvær for only 300 NOK each. We were unable to finish it even though we eat a lot and did not order starters.

I can try to dig up the name of the place if you're interested.
+
kristlkrost
post 25.Jul.2012, 11:59 PM
Post #13

Yes... please tell me the name of the hotel where the food was good..Thanks
+
Shibumi
post 26.Jul.2012, 10:38 AM
Post #14

I think it was the restaurant of the Thon hotel. It's right on the main square, down by the water, on the right side if you're facing the water. See the red oval in the photo. They might not have that kind of a deal on seafood everyday, but I hope you get lucky. Bon voyage and bon appetit!

Attached Image
+
sablonkaosmurah
post 25.Feb.2013, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Your journey will seem fun there later, have a nice trip
sablon kaos
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se