• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedes up in arms

Without the facts

Garry Jones
post 17.Dec.2012, 06:45 PM
Post #1

I note how many Swedes have become irate that a "black" doll is being cut from the Donny Duck Xmas program. (Charlie the duck over here of course).,

The Doll is actually a Pickaninny. It is highly offensive to black people. Walt Disney is said to have sided with the Germans in the second world war.

The term Pickaninny is a derogatory term that in English usage is considered racist.

Pickaninny refers to oft-depicted physical stereotypes of young African slave or African American children: bulging eyes, unkempt hair, red lips and wide mouth into which they stuffed large slices of watermelon.

Disney updated the film into HD format and removed offending sequences to bring it more what Disney felt they could stand for in the 2000's than Walt did in the 1930's.

Things have to move with the times, Agatha Christies "Ten Little Niggers" was renamed "And then there were none". The dog in the film Dambusters is being renamed from Nigger to Digger for the remake.

In the same way I do not think its okay for children in Sweden to see Pickaninny doll which is a racist sign representing slavery. Yes, it has been used before, but that alone is not reason enough to keep this in.

If you see any of this feel free to link to my posting for education about it

Today 17 of my Swedish facebook friends have linked to a group to "Leave our Donald Duck alone". I doubt any of them (except for the SD racists I have not yet ironed out) actually know the implications of this racist clip.
Go to the top of the page
+
wondering
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:05 PM
Post #2

Is there a racist background to the Gingerman as well ?
+
jostein
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:08 PM
Post #3

People seeking to be offended usually succeed.
+
johnjohn
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Sounds like a bunch of niggerballs to me.

Attached Image

+
Garry Jones
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:37 PM
Post #5

As for the Gingerbread men, well you would not have thought so. But when you see it's all the usual suspects linking to the Swedish story you have to delve deeper.

Why else would stormfront, flashback, edl, 1488, BNP and the Mosely Crew all link to the Swedish story and criticize it. Of course the Gingerbread men must be racist. Just as we moved on (Thank God) from the Gollywogs that we grew up with in the 60's.

Remember "The Spastic Shop" was renamed "Scope",

So yes, it turns out the story of the Gingebread Man is racist. In the same way it would not be okay to dress up like the Black and White Minstrels anymore we have to move on.

Try this for background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=FWTgZ_lvVng
+
Yorkshireman
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:49 PM
Post #6

We may have moved on, but surely we should not be re-writting history (or hiding it) just because it doesn't agree with current thinking?

All those items were created at a time when thinking was different, it is a reflection of society at that moment ... personally I think it is important for our children to understand and see that we have progressed.

To hide it, re-write it, clip, ban, whatever, indicates that we haven't moved on, rather we have just decided to hide it because everyone has become much more sensitive!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Has anyone seen stereotypical cartoons/pictures representing someones idea of an Irishman for instance...I have and so have the majority of posters here...so, now I am wondering why I haven't heard racist complaints from people of color about them...a bit odd no?

I mean it's nice to pick and choose what racism you support...or not rolleyes.gif
+
wondering
post 17.Dec.2012, 07:57 PM
Post #8

I am not sure about the Ginger bread man .. having lived in America which is a real melting pot and with the issues they have had .. they still have the Ginger bread man there. I mean it was also in Shrek as well.

I dunno I have doubts about that ..

Yes but how many Irish people have worked as slaves ?

I think it comes from this sense of injustice that some white people feel they need to atone for and they do this by going too far in the opposite direction .
+
Migga
post 17.Dec.2012, 08:21 PM
Post #9

Tintin, the gingerbread man and Disney come from a time when minorities where seen in a bad light. But instead of trying to remove it or hide it we should learn from it. Use it to show what progress, if any, we have made. Noone will become a racist or sexist because of those stereotypical figures, children don`t think that way.
+
byke
post 17.Dec.2012, 08:53 PM
Post #10

I agree with Disney on this one.
It's not appropriate in these modern times.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Dec.2012, 09:45 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (wondering @ 17.Dec.2012, 08:57 PM) *
I am not sure about the Ginger bread man .. having lived in America which is a real melting pot and with the issues they have had .. they still have the Ginger bread man there ... (show full quote)

FYI:

Dublin, Ireland was once the largest slave trading center in Northern Europe...they traded in white people...Greece Rome, etc...any great European civilization was based on slave labor, when the Normans conquered England the population were about as enslaved as you can imagine...The problem is that history is conveniently forgotten today...I'll bet many of you/us/me have had ancestors who were once slaves...Slavery was not totally abolished in Europe(Eastern)until almost the 1600's...and they were white ...Yes white people were slaves too...but nobody remembers!

The group of peoples known as "Slav"..."Slavic" are named by Vikings as their word for slave was Slav.

The so called victory at Clontarf in 1014 was supposed to have driven the Vikings from Ireland was typical in it's finality...the defeated Nobles were ransomed back, the politically dangerous were killed and the rest were sold into slavery...and yes the were European too.

Also, why isn't it spoken of that Africans were first enslaved by their own people and then sold elsewhere.

Weren't a lot of Europeans slaves in the Second World War?

Unfortunately we have all been victims of slavery sometime in our history...but it is only thought to have been the tragic fate of one race.

Ask any Irishman if his people did not feel like a slave under English rule at one time or another in history...you might be surprised at the answer.
+
jack sprat
post 17.Dec.2012, 11:31 PM
Post #12

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...st-Germany.html

...and some just never learn their lesson, but never mind as long as it helps boost the profits and the Swedes still think tne Sun shines out of his arse, despite all that's gone before.
+
Yorkshireman
post 17.Dec.2012, 11:40 PM
Post #13

...and just to show that it is happening elsewhere, here is a news item from the UK, where a Call Center fired staff and bussed in prisoners for work experience paying them £3 per day (6% UK minimum wage).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug...tre-fired-staff

And it happens in other countries, even Sweden itself...where there's cheap labour that can be legally exploited, there's a way to make a profit. sad.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Dec.2012, 11:53 PM
Post #14

Welcome back Jack!

I see your wife has you on the "couch" again or worse actually living in a dog house outside, and you must vent your frustrations.

Ok, lad, we'll listen, but must remind you that many states in the USA should return their prison made auto licence plates too...or...did you not know that?

Would you in your most kind and understanding way make a post of prisoners that can be rehabilitated and earn money by participating in work jobs sponsored by the "state" and offered to public companies, even without those bastards at IKEA!

You mean only IKEA was decent enough to offer jobs to those incarcerated?

Are you feeling better now?

Cheer up Jack...suck up and you will be inside again...and I don't mean that Freudally!

Loser! laugh.gif
+
Hisingen
post 18.Dec.2012, 12:12 AM
Post #15

Go back far enough, say around 100 A.D. and then the Brits, or whatever they were called then, were slaves to the Romans. Swedes have been slaves to both the Norwegians and the Danes.
In fact almost every country has been enslaved at some time or other, to some predatory nation or other.
Things haven't changed much over the centuries, just the enslavers' nationality.

But no doubt some cleverclogs on here will quickly produce some statistics to prove - well something or other. cool.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com