• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Sweden Starts to Suffer

Wall Street Journal

Norrlands Turk
post 10.Nov.2012, 02:32 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (wendist @ 10.Nov.2012, 11:01 AM) *
Thought I should try and answer this question. According to the article linked below 1300 people lost their jobs at SAAB. By mid september 660 of them had found new jobs. I ha ... (show full quote)

1,300 seem like a pretty small number. I assume that number reflects only the employees that were working at SAAB and not the ones working at small SAAB suppliers?

Detroit is doing fine. So far they have sold 12 million cars and light trucks this year. By the end of the year they will probably hit 14 million. Usually 10 million is the breakeven point.

And they are hiring.

Chrysler Group LLC said earlier this year it expected to add about 1,800 jobs for production of the all-new Dodge Dart. With those jobs, the company said it would have added nearly 4,000 hourly jobs in the United States since June 2009.
Ford said last month it has added more than 5,200 hourly jobs this year. By the end of 2012, the company said it would deliver more than half of 12,000 additional jobs Ford committed to add by 2015.
GM said last month it would add a third shift at a plant making full-sized SUVs. Since July 2009, GM said it has “created or retained” more than 18,600 jobs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2012/...lp-wanted-sign/
Go to the top of the page
+
Mb 65
post 10.Nov.2012, 02:43 PM
Post #32

intrepidfo... You are so right the problem with Swedes is that the bury their heads in the sand and say it won't happen here. it will get worse with 54,000 new asylum seekers coming next year the government has got to find some way of supporting them.
+
Mib
post 10.Nov.2012, 02:49 PM
Post #33

Wow...such negativity. Sweden is heading for the cliff nto a black hole!! Run for the hills or even better run to the UK...no run to the US...no run to Norway...etc. Every country is facing a challenge for the fast changing present and future. High youth unemployment, ageing populations, immigration/migration, pensions, massive private/public debt etc. Only Asia seems to be growing, although Japan's global businesses are in big trouble due to strong currency, tsunami, Thailand floods and high oil prices.

The positives for Sweden are a strong financial system, primarily due to the changes made iafter their own credit crunch in the 90's. No buy-to-let obsession due to rental controls, housing assoc. rules etc...85% of loan to property value limit...30% mortgage tax relief and in my experience lend carefully, very low childcare costs, a strong tech community which has launched the likes of Spotify, Skype etc, highly educated workforce, early technology adopters, income tax is reasonable for the average earners, REAL income insurance who subscribe, mostly civilised people and I could go on. Yes..Sweden has its challenges, but it survived the 2008 credit crunch much better than others due to domestic spending and extra public investments...but it suffered hard initially as it's dependent on exports..more so than others...but it was one of the first to come out of recession.

So...if anyone can tell me where Utopia is, then I may move there, but I'd rather live here than the UK at the moment where ridiculous house prices are ruining the country for future generations...let's see what happens when interest rates have to go up...that's the next BIG test. Spain is in denial...corruption has finally caught them out in combination with a bust property market and 25% unemployment. So yes...there are PROBLEMS in Sweden...but where do you live or want to live?
+
Hisingen
post 10.Nov.2012, 03:21 PM
Post #34

All the negativity about Sweden, yet no-one is mentioning anything about in which country things are on the up and up. Even the Chinese economy is hesitating, and that is where there was really considerable increase not long back. I feel that the future for all is less growth. Yet one could ask why everything has to continually increase?
More and more, gimme, gimme, spend, spend, spend. Spend what?? On what? Why? It is nothing more than an endless spiral.
I feel so sorry for these fat cats who complain that they only get so many thousands a month increase, often amounts that more than equal my pension. Wonder how they would feel if the tables were turned?
It is purely a case of cutting your coat according to your cloth. An old saying, but one that is so very true today. Hopefully we can avoid the 1930's depression, but it appears to be the same for most countries and not just Sweden, despite what folks on here seem to think.
+
byke
post 10.Nov.2012, 03:34 PM
Post #35

FFS - yes its technically a negative subject, but that doesn't mean people have to bury are heads in the sand at then in a rage of insecurity attempt to vault a thread into obscurity to ensure a nations image isnt tarnished.

Fact is, the economy in Sweden is facing severe problem.
But talking about the benefits of ABBA winning back in 1974 and other pointless references doesnt solve an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w
+
AW1
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:07 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (byke @ 10.Nov.2012, 03:34 PM) *
FFS - yes its technically a negative subject, but that doesn't mean people have to bury are heads in the sand at then in a rage of insecurity attempt to vault a thread int ... (show full quote)

Insecurity? Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't mean that they are insecure.
It simply means that they don't agree with you.

I think most people know and acknowledge that the economy is facing tough times. It's not like Sweden will be untouched by what happens in the rest of the world.

But talking about the benefits of ABBA winning back in 1974 and other pointless references doesnt solve an issue.

Thanks for pointing that out Sherlock...
+
Hisingen
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:27 PM
Post #37

On another thread I am accused by someone of going against Byke, I bet they don't make the same comments about Byke. He and I often have our differences, but that is life. We see life from different points of view and from different eras. I have quite a few years start on the lad, that is all. wink.gif
+
Mib
post 10.Nov.2012, 06:13 PM
Post #38

"Sweden is having serious problems..."

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious! Which country in the developed world is NOT facing challenges? Which country in the developed word does not have high private debt or public debt? Which one has very low unemployment? Which one has low youth unemlpoyment? Which one is not facing a growing number of pensioners? Which one is not having political issues with regards to migration(immigration?

Only recently Sweden and other Nordic countries topped a list which looks at a whole scheme of measures including qualityof life. Sweden has been praised for its management of the credit crunch crisis. What I and others have stated is to show a positive side to counter the negativity of some posts. That doesn't mean that we hav buried our heads in the sand. The problems in most cases are acknowledged and in a lot of cases out of our control as individuals. We can only be responsible for our OWN actions and hope that the powers in office are listening nd haven't buried their heads in the sand...which in most cases in the western world...were not buried in the sand,but buried far up the bankers ar@es. I mean how the hell do you allow some banks in some countries to lend to people based purely on what was written on an application and not validate their earnings!

All I am stating is that the "seriousness" in Sweden is not as "serious" as in other countries...but we are all entwined in the financial/tarde web and predicting what will happen is very difficult...if Greece pulls ut of the Euro...how is that going to impact on the banks who have lent them money and the Governments who will bail them out and creating a distrust in the system which stops lending between banks as in 2008 or will it not cause such mayhem...and how will this affect Sweden...probably negatively...but byhow much? That is the REAL question.
+
skogsbo
post 10.Nov.2012, 08:28 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (byke @ 10.Nov.2012, 03:34 PM) *

Compared to where? Monaco, Switzerland, Leichenstein... ?

SE, is in much better shape, than UK, US, France, Italy, Spain, Portu.., Greece... should I go on?
+
Hisingen
post 10.Nov.2012, 08:54 PM
Post #40

Better not go on, you'll just upset you know who if you do. The truth is that everyone will feel the pinch in one way or another, and I hardly think that there are any Swedes who would argue with that, or are not aware of the risks. There is so much 'anti-Swede' in some people that they can't see the wood for the trees.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN