• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Catch 22 situation. Please help

Read further

Marhowl
post 21.Jan.2013, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Let me explain my situation to you

I'm in my 20s and I want to get a job as a driver for a limousine service company in Stockholm. So, I went to the company and they said they would take me, but I need to have Taxi License (Taxiförarelegitimation). So I went to the Taxi School and they said I need Personnummer. Alright, so I got to Skatteverket and ask what must be done in order to obtain personummer and they say I need to bring a contract from the employer. Nowhere to go from here

So what can I do? I am and EU citizen. I Live in the center of Stockholm with my swedish cousin. I could bring other Swedish relatives to Skatteverket to vouch for me if necessary.

So, is there any possiblity of getting the personummer somehow? so I can get my Taxi Driver's License and get a job as a driver? Is it possible to get it through migrationverket somehow?

Thank you for helping me. I don't know where to go from here.
Go to the top of the page
+
beefbroff
post 21.Jan.2013, 05:27 PM
Post #2

Try getting the Limousine company to write a letter for you stating that you have a job offer but need the licence and personal number.
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Yes, also write to an EU politician about this. Obviously this won't help you any time in the near future, but the EU are aware of this personnummer Catch-22 in Sweden and the more it gets highlighted the better. This contravenes EU freedom of movement.
+
CathySky
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:13 PM
Post #4

one could say the same about NI number in the UK! pot...kettle?
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:18 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jan.2013, 06:26 PM) *
This contravenes EU freedom of movement.

No it doesn't!
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:18 PM
Post #6

I'm not familiar with the "NI" number, seeing as I am not from the UK nor have ever lived there.
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:21 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 21.Jan.2013, 07:18 PM) *
No it doesn't!

Read the first post. Then read Joseph Heller's book.
+
CathySky
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:23 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jan.2013, 07:18 PM) *
I'm not familiar with the "NI" number, seeing as I am not from the UK nor have ever lived there.

then you shouldn't be putting sweden on the chopping block as alot of countries have processes you have to pass through before securing a job/residency. You should have said that the issue should be highlighted in the EU and not put Sweden on blast like you did!
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:29 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jan.2013, 07:21 PM) *
Read the first post. Then read Joseph Heller's book.

It is the Taxi School that is saying that they require a personnummer. His Freedom of Movement has not been effected.

One can always ask an authority for a co-ordination number, in theory Trafikverket to arrange one.
+
Marhowl
post 21.Jan.2013, 07:39 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (beefbroff @ 21.Jan.2013, 05:27 PM) *
Try getting the Limousine company to write a letter for you stating that you have a job offer but need the licence and personal number.

I will try that thank you

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jan.2013, 06:26 PM) *
Yes, also write to an EU politician about this. Obviously this won't help you any time in the near future, but the EU are aware of this personnummer Catch-22 in Sweden and ... (show full quote)

I could also print the European Labour Law I have here in pdf and flash the highlighted parts into skatteverket face

QUOTE (CathySky @ 21.Jan.2013, 07:13 PM) *
one could say the same about NI number in the UK! pot...kettle?

NI in UK is the identical thing as Personnummer in Sweden and Social Security Number in USA as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

any more ideas people? What about the migrationverket way? I've read that one can "apply to register their right of residence" but guess what! Several people here told me they can deny that application even if you are from EU. Pathetic! However, one can appeal to that denial.

I can smell some heavy bureaucracy. Why can't I just flash my EU passport at the skatteverket or somewhere and they would give me the personummer or samordningsnummer straight away?
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Jan.2013, 08:19 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Marhowl @ 21.Jan.2013, 07:39 PM) *
I could also print the European Labour Law I have here in pdf and flash the highlighted parts into skatteverket face

Yes you could... but they might just laugh!

There is no restriction against the EU labour or freedom of movement with regards the personnummer.
It is a rule in Sweden that You must have the Taxi License to drive a taxi, one assumes here that the limo company also are classed as taxi company?

The Taxi School is saying that You need to have a personnummer ...find a taxi school that does not. The Taxi License test in 3 parts is provided by Trafikverket, so, as I said ...contact Trafikverket and ask for a co-ordination number, they are one of the few authorities that can fix one for You.

You will also need to show You are 21+, have a medical certificate from a doctor to say you are OK to drive, be ready to prove that You have never been convicted of sex or violent offences also.

And if You are in Stockholm, then there is a stricter requirement on local geographic knowledge before you can drive a taxi.

No matter how much You might want to quote EU rules ...in this instance the authorities can quite easily argue that it is in the interest of public safety/security and public health that only registered licensed taxi drivers are allowed on the public highway. There are always in the majority of EU legislation allowance for that.
+
Willy
post 21.Jan.2013, 08:27 PM
Post #12

What's special in Sweden is that the minute you are folkbokförd (registered as a resident) you are entitled to full social benefits, including healthcare. And you can only get a personnummer if you are about to be folkbokförd. And EU freedom of movement is always under the condition that you won't become a burden to the social system of the country that you are moving to, which is why they require proof of employment or own sufficient funds to register you.

But you should check whether a samordningsnummer (like a personnummer, but without the benefits) is enough for your taxi license. Driver's licenses are actually listed by Skatteverket as one of the reasons for issuing a samordningsnummer:

http://www.skatteverket.se/blanketterbrosc...f680007997.html
+
oddsock
post 21.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #13

No matter how much You might want to quote EU rules ...in this instance the authorities can quite easily argue that it is in the interest of public safety/security and public health that only registered licensed taxi drivers are allowed on the public highway. There are always in the majority of EU legislation allowance for that.

But that's not the issue. Marhowl is not looking to become an illegal taxi driver, Marhowl wants to pass the test and comply with all the Swedish taxi rules.

If you move to, for example, the Netherlands as an EU citizen you can register as living there and get a social security number, all without a job. Then you can show the social security number to get a job, pass a taxi test, etc. etc.

The personnummer situation creates a Catch-22 situation time and time again which is impeding free movement for EU citizens.
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Jan.2013, 08:41 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM) *
If you move to, for example, the Netherlands as an EU citizen you can register as living there and get a social security number, all without a job. Then you can show the socia ... (show full quote)

And the limo company OP is talking about hasn't said anything about personal number ...it is the taxi school that is saying they will only have him on the course, which He has to pay for probably, if he has a personal number. NO-ONE has said anything about illegal Taxi.

You mis-read, or plain do not undestand. OP can ask Trafikverket for a co-ordination number, or indeed details of a taxi school that will provide the training without a personal number. The Taxi School is just for education required to take the Tax Driver test that is under Trafikverket.

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM) *
The personnummer situation creates a Catch-22 situation time and time again which is impeding free movement for EU citizens.

No ...the companies that insist on people having personal numbers in the 1st place are the ones that either have good reason for insisting on one, or just do not understand they do not need one immediately.

I could create a Taxi School where my intention is to only educate Women!... That does not impede the OPs Freedom of Movement, it is My choice as a company to decide who I have as customers.
+
beefbroff
post 21.Jan.2013, 08:55 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Marhowl @ 21.Jan.2013, 07:39 PM) *
I will try that thank youI could also print the European Labour Law I have here in pdf and flash the highlighted parts into skatteverket faceNI in UK is the identical thing as ... (show full quote)

Sorry mate, as frustrating as it is you just have to accept the way it is. I have been there and done it. I had trouble getting
a personal number too, and in the end managed to get some temporary work where the boss was kind enough to write me up some proof of employment. This did the trick and got me the number. If you can prove you are going to work and not scrounge of the state, they will give you it. The best way to prove it is by getting a potential employer i.e. the Limousine firm to write a letter or some kind of agreement.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com