app_header_v3
  Reply to this topic

Marriage vs Civil Union in Sweden

What are the differences?

Irre
post 20.Feb.2013, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Hi,

could someone explain to me what are the main differences between civil union and marriage in Sweden? I was trying to find some information on civil union, but I keep seeing that it's meant for same-sex couples only... I guess that is not true? What Swedish office one needs to go to register a relationship, and what documents one needs to provide?

And one more question. My country of origin stopped issuing any type of documents confirming that the person is not married. As I did not visit my country for years I don't know what is the reason of it, but I have read that people in need of such a document nowadays get something like notarized personal statement saying that they are not married with anyone. Does it make any sense? Would it work in Sweden?
Go to the top of the page
+
Silberfüchschen
post 20.Feb.2013, 09:51 AM
Post #2

Since same-sex marriages were allowed in 2009, there is no option for civil union or registered partnership anymore. From Wikipedia:

New registered partnerships will no longer be able to be entered into and marriage will be the only legally recognized form of union for couples regardless of sex.

Perhaps you mean 'sambo'? In that case, it is not formally registered (other than that you share the same residence).
+
Irre
post 20.Feb.2013, 09:54 AM
Post #3

Oh, nice, I guess I am a bit behind with the news smile.gif Thank you Silberfüchschen!

Well, I got an advice to register my relationship in Sweden, to be able to confirm seriousness of it, as it's better than "sambo", but I guess that was a bit outdated advice.
+
Kibiri
post 20.Feb.2013, 11:33 AM
Post #4

If you are living together in Sweden, you can attach both of your and your partner's personbevis. You get that from skatteverket. It simply shows at which address you live.
+
Irre
post 20.Feb.2013, 11:45 AM
Post #5

We live outside Sweden, and have only papers confirming that we are both registered in the same apartment (which I own).
+
axiom
post 20.Feb.2013, 12:46 PM
Post #6

If you are apply to move to Sweden with you partner, then by simply proving you have lived together in your home country is enough to satisfy migrationsverket. Rental agreement in both names, bills to the same address, etc should work I guess. If you can prove that you have lived together as partners for at least two years then you will be given a PUT on the first application. There is no requirement to register anything or even be married, the act of living together is more than sufficient.
+
belleshun08
post 23.Aug.2014, 07:44 AM
Post #7

Thanks for that useful information. Several states have expanded the legal rights available to spouses in same sex relationships through civil union or domestic partnerships. However, Public Notary Claudia do Nascimento Domingues of Sao Paulo, Brazil, has made a landmark choice that could continue to redefine family and marriage. She authorized the civil union of three individuals, two women and a male. Let the conventional salvos come.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: