• Sweden's news in English

app_header_v3
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Health Insurance for Students

Requirements for personnummer

Cam1989
post 16.Jul.2016, 02:44 AM
Post #1

Hej,

I have been admitted to study at Gothenburg University, and I have a few questions regarding the personnummer application.
I am a Croatian citizen, spent the first 10 years of my life there, but I have lived in Canada for the past 16 years. I still have my uncles cottage to live in, should I ever need to return to Croatia.
I have Canadian health insurance coverage, but I can not obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) since I left Croatia a long time ago.

According to skatteverket, I will need to show either an EHIC card or proof of comprehensive health insurance for my stay in Sweden.
So, I just wanted to ask you, do you guys have any experience with students in my particular situation?
Should I attempt to use my Canadian Health Insurance Card when I apply for a personnummer?

Should I purchase private health insurance? And if so, which one would be accepted by Skatteverket? I have seen mentions of cigna global, axa, IMG, but are there other acceptable ones?

I have everything that is needed to prove my right of residence, Croatian Passport, Letter of Admission, University Registration (will be done in August in Gothenburg), and I will be signing that my parents will financially support me during my studies, so I wont be a burden on the Swedish state.

I have begun paying the monthly rent for an apartment on Gibraltargatan through SGS student bostader, and I will move in August 19.

Thank you for any words of advice you guys and gals can give me,

Edit: Its a three year program for software engineering and management.
Go to the top of the page
+
moodyb
post 16.Jul.2016, 07:11 AM
Post #2

If your Canadian insurance does actually offer you full coverage during your stay in Sweden and can confirm that in writing, I imagine you should be fine.

If not, you will technically be illegal in Sweden but well, Sweden is rather special in that regard so you are not likely to ever notice, just make sure to never give any documents if you need healthcare, lol.
+
bitteredlake
post 16.Jul.2016, 10:33 AM
Post #3

you should not worry about any of this. simple. u will automatically get a personnummer because of the length of your studies. If you can show that you are going to be studying here for more than year then easily everything will be sorted out. No need for any additional insurance. You will be part of the system here regardless of where you come from.
+
Case officer
post 16.Jul.2016, 10:53 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (bitteredlake @ 16.Jul.2016, 11:33 AM) *
you should not worry about any of this. simple. u will automatically get a personnummer because of the length of your studies.

You're thinking of guest students who have RP. OP does not have a permit.
+
Cam1989
post 16.Jul.2016, 05:39 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Case officer @ 16.Jul.2016, 05:53 AM) *
You're thinking of guest students who have RP. OP does not have a permit.

That is out of the question, you have to show you own a bank account with tens of thousands of dollars if you go that route, and my parents are not about to make me the sole owner of their savings account.
I will continue to look at other options.
+
Cam1989
post 16.Jul.2016, 10:03 PM
Post #6

I will not be staying illegally, that is unacceptable.

I have the legal right to reside in Sweden for the duration of my program.
How do I know this?

http://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/o...9e893f4157.html

The requirements to obtain a Swedish personnummer are clear, and I will have all the documents proving I have the right to legally reside in Sweden. Along with comprehensive private health insurance.

Edit

Case Officer may be right, I may have to apply for a certificate of residence or whatever
+
Gjeebes
post 17.Jul.2016, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Your Canadian health care will expire after your first 3 months out of Canada. You are also legally obliged to cancel it, or arrange to have it cancelled, before you depart. Sure, you can choose to ignore this, but when push comes to shove, it will not take long to see that you did not act accordingly, and in the event of a medical disaster, you will be given a hefty bill to pay, as you will have no medical coverage.
+
Cam1989
post 17.Jul.2016, 11:24 PM
Post #8

No, it will not expire because I am legally eligible for emergency health coverage during my studies under Ontario Health Insurance regulation. However, the amount it covers is quite limited, so I will have to purchase private comprehensive health insurance such as that offered by manulife or a similar organization. They cover expenses up to 2 million CAD.
+
Case officer
post 18.Jul.2016, 06:24 AM
Post #9

In evaluating private insurance policies, the Tax Agency requires that several conditions be met. The policy must be personal, and must not have a monetary ceiling for necessary health care. Private insurance policies may contain no disclaimers that deny coverage for certain complaints, and they must cover health care for injuries resulting from sports, risky activities, and so on.

The National Board of Trade contacted about twenty insurance companies to learn whether they sell insurance policies that comply with these criteria. None of them do.

http://www.kommers.se/In-English/Publicati...ving-to-Sweden/
+
Cam1989
post 18.Jul.2016, 07:30 AM
Post #10

No,

It should compensate necessary healthcare up to a value of at least SEK 10 million.

Its pretty clearly worded on the skatteverket website:

http://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/o...9e893f4157.html

Nice try though.
+
Gjeebes
post 18.Jul.2016, 07:50 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Cam1989 @ 17.Jul.2016, 11:24 PM) *
No, it will not expire because I am legally eligible for emergency health coverage during my studies under Ontario Health Insurance regulation. However, the amount it covers i ... (show full quote)

Sure, when you reside in Ontario: OHIP covers you. If you move to Quebec, it won't. If you move to EU, it won't. You will not be resident in Ontario during your studies, right?

If you want to keep OHIP, you must maintain Ont. residency: http://health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publicat...ligibility.aspx

"...AND
* you make your primary place of residence in Ontario; and generally,
* you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence); and
*you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period."

You are unlikely to be able to maintain residency in Ontario (i.e. be present in Ont. for 153 days in any 12-month period), if you move to Sweden for studies.
+
Gjeebes
post 18.Jul.2016, 08:11 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Cam1989 @ 18.Jul.2016, 06:30 AM) *
No, It should compensate necessary healthcare up to a value of at least SEK 10 million.Its pretty clearly worded on the skatteverket website:http://www.skatteverket.se/service ... (show full quote)

"Nice try though"? Do you want help here, or, just try at all costs to appear as though you are right? You are the one potentially risking not being covered, not us.

The link you provide, is for EU citizens. Are you an EU citizen? Here is the correct link, for "your case" (i.e. for Non-EU citizens): http://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/o...d743ffff54.html

You need to "think" about your residency, requirements to maintain residency, and how that ties into your medical insurance. It could be that OHIP will cover you as a student abroad, but then that would tend to go against the requirements to keep OHIP. You need clarification from the ministry, how this works. There are contact details all over the OHIP pages.
+
Cam1989
post 20.Jul.2016, 03:33 AM
Post #13

I apologize if my tone was rude in the earlier comment, I would like your help in this matter.

To verify that my OHIP coverage will not cease during my studies in Sweden I went to a service Ontario location and acquired the necessary form from the lady at the shelter.

She explained to me that I can have exemption from the physical requirements to be in Ontario as long as I can show them proof of my studies in Sweden and a temporary address in Sweden.

I will be going back to the office tomorrow morning with the information filled out, and that (hopefully) settles the matter of continued OHIP coverage during my studies.

Now, OHIP is quite limited in its coverage for anyone outside of Canada for any amount of time, which renders it almost useless.

What I planned to do was combine OHIP with the manulife coverme plan for Canadian students abroad, but my worry is that it might have too many clauses inside of it for skatteverkets liking.

http://www.coverme.com/products/travel-ins...ce-students.jsp

I do appreciate your help, I was having a bad day when I made the previous post about this matter.

Thank you for anyones input, especially gjeebes and case officer.

Edit> I am an EU citizen, Croatian to be specific. I have a valid passport until 2024.
+
LLHope
post 20.Jul.2016, 07:37 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Cam1989 @ 16.Jul.2016, 09:03 PM) *
I have the legal right to reside in Sweden for the duration of my program.
QUOTE (Cam1989 @ 16.Jul.2016, 09:03 PM) *
The requirements to obtain a Swedish personnummer are clear, and I will have all the documents proving I have the right to legally reside in Sweden. Along with comprehensive private health insurance.

I suspect you are mixing up things.

EU Right of Residence for Study requires that you have either EHIC card and/or Comprehensive Health Insurance. Without the Health cover then you do not meet the requirements for Right of Residence as a Student and therefore can only stay for 3 months.

Skatteverket by law are only supposed to enter people into the population register if they have lived in Sweden for 12+ months, or before 12 months have passed if they have reasonable evidence that the person will indeed be living here for 12+ months. If you have the Right of Residence as Student and are on a course with a duration >12 months, then it is reasonable for them to enter you into the population register early, however, not having Comprehensive Health Insurance means you do not meet the EU requirements for Right of Residence as Student, and therefore should not stay more than 3 months. i.e. Skatteverket have NO evidence that you will be living in Sweden for 12+ months, since you can only stay for 3 according to EU rules.

+
Cam1989
post 20.Jul.2016, 06:08 PM
Post #15

Well, I did not want to be rebellious and go without health insurance, for my own sake at least.

The question comes up then, will I have to apply for a residence permit once I am there or something?

I appreciate your post LLHope, but I was aware of this information a while ago, I just thought that I DID fulfill the requirements for right of residence.

Is this an impossible situation I am in? Will I have to apply for a residence permit as a Canadian resident while at the same time being Croatian in the eyes of the University institution?

Everything is so weird, I knew I should have applied to study in Norway.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: