• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Free Swedish Language & is it even worth comming?

Free language classes for Non EU students

nosturnal
post 5.Dec.2012, 08:04 PM
Post #1

I started processing of admission in some University , so i guess to get even a part time job, after reading blogs and discussion boards, that i need to get my hands on Swedish language, least as the beginner any suggestions to get free Swedish classes?, i am not from EU, and is it even worth coming to Sweden? , as it seems people are really having tough times to get the job specially if he she not from EU.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 5.Dec.2012, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Yes it is worth it if your goal is to study at a university. However you must have 73000sek in your bank account per year of study in addition to your paid tuition . You cannot count on a part time job whether you can speak Swedish or not thus the reason the rule is in place. Best of luck.
+
nosturnal
post 6.Dec.2012, 07:06 AM
Post #3

Thanks john for info. I wander why in Norway even Non-EU students don't have to pay tuition fees compare to Sweden. isn't both countries are in EU, let alone Nordic origin?. I guess, its country specifics. Oh btw the way having the part time is job is not always for students to cover expanses, its often for them to have general idea or rule of thumb , i.e how the system works. And that was the reason i put up the question. Again appreciate smile.gif . Njoy
+
johnjohn
post 6.Dec.2012, 09:27 AM
Post #4

Norway is not part of the EU. Yes each country can make their own rules in regards to education and tuition . You may indeed find a part time job if you are lucky however you cannot rely on finding one. Studying Swedish, having a job and studying full time is a heavy load but possible. Also note that studying at an undergraduate level in English the course selection is very limited. If you desire is to study in Sweden then by all means pursue it.
+
nosturnal
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:49 AM
Post #5

EU. what i meant was EEA countries. Part time job is really good as you can learn the language rather quickly than having language classes. And as far as i think learning differnet language would be absolute comparative advantage over any one in the global market place and extra but significant add on. It's true learning language, studying full time and having part time job, is a tall order. Part time job is the answer to it. One can easily grab the street language. I've been thru this before in differnet country and experience first hand for my self, Car mechanic, bouncer, barista e.t.c. And iam curious, how would you assume for an undergraduate. Studying sweden is not a desire just an option. Again ever so thanks for the valuable advise.

The conclusion i can draw so far is "bit of luck", "Hard work obviously" and "play by the rules".
+
Puffin
post 7.Dec.2012, 08:59 AM
Post #6

Sweden offered free education to everyone until 2011 when the costs of subsidising everyone became too great

So if you wish to come here and study you will need around SEK 150,000-200,000 for each year of study (to cover fees and living expenses) and you will need to prove to Migrationsverket that you have this amount in a bank account prior to arrival as a student visa will not be granted otherwise. You cannot rely on getting a job - Sweden has high unemployment and many people are chasing the same jobs. Some students have to leave without completing their degrees if they run out of money

Most international student choose to study at Masters level as at this level many courses are offered in English

If you wish to have a big choice of subjects to study then you will need to have passed a test to prove that you are fluent in Swedish. Some universities run a 1 year course leading to the TISUS test for people that will be applying for degrees - but of course you will need to factor in the additional costs of this year
+
Pursuivant
post 7.Dec.2012, 11:23 AM
Post #7

The "income requirement" I think applies to Norway as well, and Finland that has "free education" also. In Finland you need to show 6000 euros and a health insurance to get the 1st year permit, then 2nd year you need to show 30 credits, 6000 euros and a health insurance - and your work time is restricted was it to 20 hours a week. Because - if you come to study, you come to study, not to work. And gatting a crap job with crap salary, saving up 6000 and progressing in your studies is not realistic - especially if you study in some small town where theres no jobs to begin with.

So while it may be possible to find work and it may be possible to get some money, you really need to have that money budgeted beforehand. Learning Swedish while you study is imperative if then you expect to find a job in Sweden after graduation - and not a crap job, what the no-speak students do. Same applies to any country, really. In Finland you even can get bachelors degree taught in English, say like in Nursing, but you can't get hired as a nurse if you don't speak Finnish. look at say www.admissions.fi
+
nosturnal
post 7.Dec.2012, 12:30 PM
Post #8

@ Puffin.

"Sweden offered free education to everyone until 2011 when the costs of subsidizing everyone became too great". But Universties in sweden still assign the quota system to some Non EU/EEA countries?, i assume it has something to do with Human rights thing?, sorry for my ignorance if iam wrong.

Some universities run a 1 year course. Iam looking at free Swedish language classes, any suggestions?. So for example if the A University approved the slot for my enrollment, can i apply B university for language classes?, before joining the A University showing the B university that i have enrollment for A university? Any suggestions?

@Pursuivant

Iam not sure about Finland education system however will look into it definitely. And iam not taking sides, iam talking through the university finding research so far which best suits for me and my pocket, so i don't have to regret as puffin rightly mention some students left the Universities.

In Norway students need to show only the amount that they can support them selves, prior to get residence permit or study permit or what ever one call it, but the catch is you don't actually need to pay them just to show them the funds, i mean your own fund not the transferred fund and so forth. This puts student at relatively very much of ease. To focus only on studies and if you believe it or not, students are really motivated to give back to University what Uni owes to them, and society at large.

Now a days when student pays the tuition fees, he/she expect the services from the University. So it goes like service provider / clientele relation ship rather than student teacher. And often students always expect more, in the end they feel cheated and experience showed it instead of studies they put the blame on University. Here, iam not talking about exchange students, state funded students. Iam talking purely the students who pays there own tuition fees.

Thanks for the info #Pursuivant
+
NJtreehugger
post 7.Dec.2012, 12:45 PM
Post #9

Instead of worrying about whether or not you need to learn beginner's Swedish, perhaps before you move anywhere to study a course in the English language you should improve your English. If you speak and write like you do on this forum, I would not think you are on a high enough level to be able to complete a bachelor's degree in English.
+
nosturnal
post 7.Dec.2012, 12:52 PM
Post #10

Thanks for suggestions. Rather free ones smile.gif, loving it.
+
Yorkshireman
post 7.Dec.2012, 01:16 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Puffin @ 7.Dec.2012, 08:59 AM) *
Sweden offered free education to everyone until 2011 when the costs of subsidising everyone became too great

Not exactly so.

The reason tuition fees were introduced for non-EU students was because a very high percentage of foreign students did not turn up for their course, yet they entered Sweden, ie. They used it as a reason to get a valid permit to enter Sweden and then disappear into either Sweden or EU countries.

The Universities complain now because, even though they were aware that the high percentage of students wouldn't turn up for courses, they were always paid (funded) by the state for the 1st term in advance. Which means that now admissions from non-EU countries dropped due to the tution fees requirement (ie. students show commitment by paying the fee in advance), the Universities lost that portion of funding.

This is why You can study without paying tuition fees if You have any other kind of permit than a student permit, it was changed to stop student permit abuse.
+
Pursuivant
post 7.Dec.2012, 01:24 PM
Post #12

Depending on the university, they usually require highe IELTS score to study if they have a programme in English, so its not just a case of just floating in.
+
nosturnal
post 9.Dec.2012, 08:08 AM
Post #13

My IELTS score is adequate enough to have me an admission any where i wish, and being polite does not mean that some one pass the judgments and came to an ultimate conclusions, thus i would appreciate and also its advisable to save the time and keep the prejudice to one self in general. It reminds me of the book i read recently. Thinking, Fast and Slow Daniel Kahneman his seminal work in psychology explains a lot about the discussions so far.

Njoy the weakened folks smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com