• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Travel to China

Visa Questions

Stickeroo
post 27.May.2011, 10:42 AM
Post #1

OK, so I'm booking a trip to China...couple questions:

First- Should I get a Visa FIRST and THEN book everything? Or book everything THEN get a Visa? (I have a Canadian PP, my wife has a Swedish PP)

Second-Is it true about Chinese customs being a MAJOR pain? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Go to the top of the page
+
NataBee
post 27.May.2011, 10:48 AM
Post #2

I went to China to visit my ex last year so I had some experience.
I got the Visa in a week and it was very easy so probably planning the trip first is reasonable (especially if planning way in advance saves you some money)
Just beware that you might need to use body language a lot because almost nobody at Chinese airports speaks fluent English. I stopped at Guangzhou airport, and asking for direction was a terrible pain.
What do you mean exactly by Chinese "customs"?
+
aussie.dad
post 27.May.2011, 10:49 AM
Post #3

From what I have been able to pick from this end of the world (and a lot do travel to china) - get a visa first. Its not worth the risk of booking your travel before that.
And as to Customs, eh, if you have experienced Aussie customs (of late) - everything else is a breeze. I have heard nothing bad about customs in China.
+
Puffin
post 27.May.2011, 11:08 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (NataBee @ 27.May.2011, 11:48 AM) *
What do you mean exactly by Chinese "customs"?

He means the customs officers that stand at the airport and go through your bags and whether there is anything that you should avoid taking etc
+
Mzungu
post 27.May.2011, 11:08 AM
Post #5

When you go, don't forget your Imodium...

*never mind bog paper*
+
Stickeroo
post 27.May.2011, 11:10 AM
Post #6

Customs...as in Customs and Border Enforcement or Customs and Border Services or Tullverket.

Thanks aussie.dad...just worried that if I go and get the Visa first, then the things I wanna book may not be available/more expensive than they already are.

But pretty much what I'm gathering here is it's up to me if I want to book first and get Visa after right? There is no rule to say you have to get a Visa before you book?!?! Those commies can be damn confusing!
+
gplusa
post 27.May.2011, 11:10 AM
Post #7

Some years ago, my retired parents went on a day trip from Hong Kong to China whilst on holiday. While my father was in the bathroom getting ready to depart, my mother suddenly decided that he might get hungry in China. So she put some fruit into his bag. She then decided that he might have trouble peeling the fruit, so she thoughtfully put a knife into his bag.

My father is now on first name basis with Chinese border control officials, whom I believe (unofficially) got to third base.
+
Fishtank
post 27.May.2011, 11:13 AM
Post #8

Good one Gplusa... LOL!!!
+
phols45
post 27.May.2011, 11:18 AM
Post #9

i'm looking forward to my trip in china...
+
aussie.dad
post 27.May.2011, 11:18 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Stickeroo @ 27.May.2011, 10:10 AM) *
then the things I wanna book may not be available/more expensive than they already are.

Hmm - I know where you are coming from - but have you thought about booking the trip from Ozland - is it cheaper, is it legal? I have started to avoid booking European holidays from Ozland coz of the price premium. cool.gif Big brother will catch me now.
+
byke
post 27.May.2011, 11:19 AM
Post #11

Sat next to 3 Chinese people on the train a few days ago while travelling to Belgium.
All 3 of them occupied 2 seats each, regardless that the train was busy.

Dude one couldn't stop really digging into his nose and wiping bogeys on the arm rest of the seat. Then he took off his fricken socks and started cutting his toe nails in an obsessive manner. Then and only then he took out something that looked to be a brass looking screwdriver / cherry pick and started cleaning out the wax in his ears and I am almost sure I unwillingly saw him try to eat part of it while he was also gnashing on his nails.

Dude two, couldn't stop playing with his lighter.
And setting fire to any loose thread he could find on his trousers, clothing or even seat.
The smell of burnt threads of different materials became very strong and uncomfortable.

Dude three couldn't stop playing loud ringing signals on his phone and disturbing everyone.

Yes they were Chinese as they specifically asked another passenger for help and stated they were Chinese ... Plus they were all in the mid 40's and all wearing business suits ...

So in regards to Chinese customs, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
If this is any sort of behaviour that is "normal" then I think you can. Basically get away with picking lumps of shit out your backside and smearing it all over the airplane windows if you really felt the desire to without any reprocussions.
+
Stickeroo
post 27.May.2011, 11:25 AM
Post #12

OMG...NOT CUSTOMS AS IN HOW THEY BEHAVE...CUSTOMS TO GAIN ENTRANCE TO THE COUNTRY!!! BORDER GUARDS!!! COMPRENDE?
+
NataBee
post 27.May.2011, 12:04 PM
Post #13

@byke: Jeez, I was eating brunch when I saw your reply
@Stickeroo: It might depend on your luck and which airport you're at, but in general they don't try to give you a hard time, the instruction signs are also quite clear. The only matter I have already mentioned above, kinda hard to communicate with them in English.
+
Stickeroo
post 27.May.2011, 12:57 PM
Post #14

Thanks NataBee...
+
Nemesis
post 27.May.2011, 01:06 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Stickeroo @ 27.May.2011, 11:42 AM) *
OK, so I'm booking a trip to China...couple questions:First- Should I get a Visa FIRST and THEN book everything? Or book everything THEN get a Visa? (I have a Canadian PP ... (show full quote)

Contact the Chinese Embassy and ask them. Here is the website.
http://se.china-embassy.org/eng/

Chinese customs officials are OK. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. They are only interested in people involved in criminal behaviour such as drug smuggling. Get on the wrong side of them and you would really be in trouble. They don't mess about.

In all the major Chinese airports most people wearing a uniform, will either be able to help you in English or guide you to a member of staff who speaks english. In my experience they are very helpful.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com